• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tadej Pogacar and Mauro Giannetti

Page 96 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Well, I've watched doped cyclists do some unreal things all my life, but this performance by McNulty was even beyond unreal. Something like when Landis rode the entire peloton off his wheel over five climbs in the Alps on stage 17 sixteen years ago. Except, of course, that Landis was the big favorite to win the Tour in 2006, and McNulty is more like McNobody. I mean, an otherwise completely underperforming dom suddenly found his legs overnight and then just shredded the whole peloton to small pieces.

Please McNobody. But I agree his performance was out of this world.

I mean as in isolated performance compared to the most ridiculous performances in a year/decade. The original 6.58 W/kg made no sense as the third climb of the day after previous climbs got raced hard.

The context and varibales around it, are ofcourse completely ridiculous.

McNulty uploaded his ride on Strava by the way, he did like 429 W on Val Louron, which if his weight is correct at 69, is only 6.29W/kg.

I think what made the stage so hard is the fast pace and rapid succession on Aspin and Hourquette. Nobody expected a hard pace on Hourquette, yet Kuss did 6W/kg on the uphill stretches while drafting. It basically turned into a Carpegna sitation where everyone who starts struggles at 6W/kg gets completely suffocated while the 2 to 3 dudes who can do more than thet ride below their limit and recover better inbetween the climbs.

I think the most surprising thing about yesterday, is that UAE suddenly had Bjerg and McNulty flying like crazy while Pogacar wasn't better than the rest of the Tour.
well, 2 of them dont have to go full gas on all stages

it may depend on the parcours, I'm not expecting it to go back to a 90s TDF parcours but it may depend on ITT KMs

Lets see and wait what vingegaard will do in the coming TT. He should not have the physique for fast sprints, yet he also learned that this year, wouldn't rule out his TT is also alot better than previously (similar as Pog who also became superior in the tour TTs during his first win)

I think he actually will now be stronger next year. But I am not super convinced it will be good enough for Vingegaard. He looked in control at any point.
Pog can stand to lose a nice bit of weight which will help a bunch on the climbs. I think he has taken to the adversity well. He hasn't sulked, he's got a great attitude of revenge so I think he'll park the classics and spring fun to the side and go all out to destroy Jonas next year.

Big thing is that he needs some help. Aside from the odd stage here and there he has ridden this Tour on his own which is unheard of.

Big thing is that he needs some help. Aside from the odd stage here and there he has ridden this Tour on his own which is unheard of.

Cadel Evans kinda did (that BMC 2011 team is horrible) but he was in a position where he had "time in the bag" because of his TT advantage and was more or less having to defend himself all tour versus Pogacar who was trying to find time on mountain stages himself

Reactions: Lui98
Bahrain lost their GC guy early and their wins last year were from the break which is always at least a bit of a lottery. They did win both MSR and LFW.

I mean IPT showed form they haven't all year and even threw in a 1-2 for good measure and I don't see people lining up to throw the bus at them.

Not that Bahrain aren't suspicious but I think the idea that they toned things down because of a French investigation isn't really that compelling

Reactions: Riek s
Bahrain lost their GC guy early and their wins last year were from the break which is always at least a bit of a lottery. They did win both MSR and LFW.

I mean IPT showed form they haven't all year and even threw in a 1-2 for good measure and I don't see people lining up to throw the bus at them.

Not that Bahrain aren't suspicious but I think the idea that they toned things down because of a French investigation isn't really that compelling

i dunno. did you know Mohoric was in this race at all? last year he was motoring away from breakaways at 35mph. this year he couldn't even get in a break. Caruso 2nd at the Giro last year and winner of the queen stage, lost 4 minutes to Michael Woods on one climb on Tuesday. Teuns also looked like a shell of himself. Tratnik also did nothing. i think the raid definitely played a part, that's too many riders off the pace at once to be a coincidence.

i'm mainly suspicious because iirc this was part of the same Marseilles-based French investigation that found nothing last year and apparently found nothing raiding Arkea the year before.

not saying it couldn't be the cause but that particular prosecutor, or whatever France uses hasn't exactly had a track record

i dunno. did you know Mohoric was in this race at all? last year he was motoring away from breakaways at 35mph. this year he couldn't even get in a break. Caruso 2nd at the Giro last year and winner of the queen stage, lost 4 minutes to Michael Woods on one climb on Tuesday. Teuns also looked like a shell of himself. Tratnik also did nothing. i think the raid definitely played a part, that's too many riders off the pace at once to be a coincidence.

Yes, it seems Bahrain boys are riding paniagua!