• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tadej Pogacar and Mauro Giannetti

Page 164 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Well Landa, Vlasov and Mas are not stronger riders than those currently behind Pog at this Giro. You’d could make a case for Kuss on last year’s Vuelta but Landa was convincingly beaten by Jai Hindley two years ago.

You’d have more credibility if you commented about any other rider - including Vingegaard? You are certainly not impartial and this is the biggest issue I have with your opinion as the OP. A thread on Pog would have been posted by someone else anyway after the 2020 TdF knowing what happened on stage 20 and the sport’s history. But other posters are not so myopic IMO. For example we know @Froome is a big Vingegaard fan here but way more fair and objective.
Yeah, Mas only finished 2nd in the Vuelta GC 3 times. What a fourth tier loser he is. So Kuss is better with his more or less gifted Vuelta? Interesting.

I'm not a Vingegaard fan and I don't trust his meteoric rise. I have also called out Gilberts 2011, Horners Vuelta win and Froome on the Ventoux so I have no idea why I wouldn't be fair or objective. I don't have the obligation to comment on each suspicious rider. Pogacar is the most notable as he does his thing on every terrain and his team is managed by someone who should not be active in cycling any more (and surrounded by other crooks for that matter). That's why I included the Suisse cheater in the name of the topic.

Indeed. I thought we would see some watt bombage today. Boyo is on a mission. Today is a combination of climbing practice and time trial practice, as evidenced by the continual pressing at the front. It's not enough to win.

I think somewhere, someone made a comment about Toto not really caring about records; I would completely disagree with that though, he seems very much interested in records and setting his own legacy.

Less than a minute on a 2014 climbing time on a >50 minute climb with teammates setting you up?

In terms of pure W/kg bombs this Giro hasn't delivered
I would expect a 26,8 km TT to go faster than a 184 km stage with a double ascent.
The two fastest times on the Mont Ventoux came from the TT in theDauphiné 2004. None of the TdF climbs ever came close, not in even the EPO years of 1994 and 1999.
That tells you how 'special' Pogacars performance was today.

Less than a minute on a 2014 climbing time on a >50 minute climb with teammates setting you up?

In terms of pure W/kg bombs this Giro hasn't delivered

I would expect Pogacar to be faster in a standalone effort actually, instead of being paced by Bjerg for a few km (without gaining anything on Pelizzari). He did 1720 m/h of VAM for almost 52 minutes which is a very strong effort. However, excluding two downhill/flat sections, he did 1770 m/h of VAM for 50 minutes, which is incredible performance.

I would expect a 26,8 km TT to go faster than a 184 km stage with a double ascent.
The two fastest times on the Mont Ventoux came from the TT in theDauphiné 2004. None of the TdF climbs ever came close, not in even the EPO years of 1994 and 1999.

Ventoux was a MTT in 1987. In a normal stage in 1994, Pantani was nearly 4 minutes faster.

Fast era beats slow era, MTT or not.

26 km TT just means you‘re already pushing for a few kilometers before the climb and they also had to do another kilometer to the very top of Grappa

Reactions: Red Rick
Pantani's 95 and 97 times up AdH are also faster than Armstrong's TT in 04

90s times were much faster than anything before and after, Pantani or no Pantani. Mt Ventoux TTs clearly suggest that for such long climbs a standalone performance is better due to even pacing: just look how for first few km Pelizzarri advantage didn't change much due to slower UAE pace-makers. Alpe ITT was also great: Armstrong beat his own spectacular 2001 climbing, so did Ullrich vs 2001. There's no doubt in my mind that Pogacar could have ridden even faster in a standalone TT.

90s times were much faster than anything before and after, Pantani or no Pantani. Mt Ventoux TTs clearly suggest that for such long climbs a standalone performance is better due to even pacing: just look how for first few km Pelizzarri advantage didn't change much due to slower UAE pace-makers. Alpe ITT was also great: Armstrong beat his own spectacular 2001 climbing, so did Ullrich vs 2001. There's no doubt in my mind that Pogacar could have ridden even faster in a standalone TT.
Ullrich's 2001 climb was unimpressive anyway, he barely gapped Beloki and Christophe Moreau.

What also happens is you get a false idea of pacing cause if everybody follows the group at first when they try to set up Pogacar initially nobody will drop when a Grosschartner is doing like 5.9-6W/kg

Pogacar is meanwhile saving >0.1W/kg very consistently on the 60% of the climb before he attacks.

To me the problem with Ventoux is it's an extremely wind dependent climb to make a strong comparison between MTT versus road stage.

I think the 1st ascent is a much bigger factor, and I also think that the difference for a guy who is below threshold the entire first ascent is likely gonna be under a minute.

It was an alien performance FFS. End of a GT, one of the fastest if not the fastest ever Giro, double ascent, only launched it part way up, and absolutely torched everyone.

There are going to be a lot of "yeah, buts", it for anybody who does the math, it adds up to ultra dodgy poop filled diaper performance.

Reactions: QueenStagiaire