• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tadej Pogacar and Mauro Giannetti

Page 166 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The circle jerk of fanboys over any particular doper is, however, perplexing.

Why? He is universally popular. Why Pogacar is popular should not be difficult to comprehend.

Contador was super popular. If you don't like cycling don't watch it. And the fact is Pogacar was convincingly beaten by Vingegaard at the last two TdF. So I don't understand your obsession with Pogacar - if I go to the Vingegaard thread I don't see you there during the Tour - why not?

I had this argument with @The Hitch over 10 years ago here. The point Hitch made then was enjoy the show. The riders and teams will tell us if anything unfair is going on.

View: https://x.com/WattsinCycling/status/1794413327461802419

Big discrepancy between them, normally they have similar results.

Different speeds, someone is wrong.
They have the same time but different distance measured.

The actual interesting part is that unlike on Foscagno, the UAE pace was really hard and quite significantly above what the lesser contenders could sustain all the way to the top, and even Pogacars W/kg were quite diminished during his 15 minutes attack compared to what he did on altitude on Foscagno.

Reactions: Froome
Jul 23, 2023
Visit site
View: https://x.com/giroditalia/status/1794380353245008043

Take care of every detail, don't just think about winning. Think about communication, not like Armstrong and Riccò.
The more impressions you make on the media, the fewer enemies you will have.

View: https://x.com/WattsinCycling/status/1794402081383895103

we still wonder if he's clean? are you joking?
it doesn't matter if his opponents were Martinez and Thomas.

View: https://x.com/giroditalia/status/1794380353245008043

Take care of every detail, don't just think about winning. Think about communication, not like Armstrong and Riccò.
The more impressions you make on the media, the fewer enemies you will have.

View: https://x.com/WattsinCycling/status/1794402081383895103

we still wonder if he's clean? are you joking?
it doesn't matter if his opponents were Martinez and Thomas.
That takes not that much energy and Pogacar just trained himself to farm the easy content consistently.

He's jsut TikTok Armstrong.

• Haha
Reactions: Ripper and ivanic
And it's not just one guy winning. While Pogi is dominant, so is Van der Poel. Likewise Vingegaard.

The more outrageous one of them is, the more leeway the rest have.
After this Giro we should be vigilant on others ;)

I think its an arms race. 2020 TdF stage 20 wasn't supposed to happen - that Tour was going exactly to JV's plan until that day. So Visma upped the ante. Now UAE / Pog are responding.

On my original comment, there can be murmurs in the peloton. Examples I recall were Vinokourov's 2007 TdF stage 13 TT win and Riccardo Ricco's 2008 (CERA fueled) performances. There was talk in the peloton before it became public.

I think its an arms race. 2020 TdF stage 20 wasn't supposed to happen - that Tour was going exactly to JV's plan until that day. So Visma upped the ante. Now UAE / Pog are responding.

On my original comment, there can be murmurs in the peloton. Examples I recall were Vinokourov's 2007 TdF stage 13 TT win and Riccardo Ricco's 2008 (CERA fueled) performances. There was talk in the peloton before it became public.
Those narratives to me are just magical bs with 0 plausibility. Retrofitted Marvel storylines.

Reactions: zlev11
Those narratives to me are just magical bs with 0 plausibility. Retrofitted Marvel storylines.
That's your opinion RR. Since I backed up my opinion with two specific examples which I know happened - so they are not just plausible but fact. Can you flesh out your opinion?

Edit: I was certainly annoyed when Vingegaard upset Pogacar in the 2022 TdF, but someone else here suggested the arms race in this thread which was created after the Granon stage. Seems highly plausible to me.

Honestly something is going on since 2020, but my take is they are taking doping.....but legal doping, something who is not banned. Something ethically wrong, but legal.

Just my take. I don’t believe they are risking with something illegal at least yet, but i can be wrong....

Jul 23, 2023
Visit site

2020 TdF stage 20 is like Fleche 1994 or Val Louron 1991.

It's been almost four years and it's time to know what they use.

Somewhat. Less so than they buy Van der Poel, UAE & Visma.
And that's crazy to me. Even if you ignore absolute W/kg numbers and buy into all the bs about 'riders are just better now'. Relative dominance going up to the extreme degree doesn't make you question anything?'

But nah. Doping is reverse nuclear fusion, it was always 20 years ago, guys are cleanz now no matter what happens. See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil. If it looks like a turd and smells like a turd it's probably chocolate ice cream so Imma eat it.

And that's crazy to me. Even if you ignore absolute W/kg numbers and buy into all the bs about 'riders are just better now'. Relative dominance going up to the extreme degree doesn't make you question anything?'

But nah. Doping is reverse nuclear fusion, it was always 20 years ago, guys are cleanz now no matter what happens. See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil. If it looks like a turd and smells like a turd it's probably chocolate ice cream so Imma eat it.

grand tours over after 2 days. classics over with 50+ k to go. just enjoy the show :tearsofjoy:

• Haha
Reactions: Scarponi