• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

TDF Sprints & Green Jersey

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
Does Blanco-Belkin have a sprinter in their squad? Or will it be just about getting Bauke Mollema safe in the goal area, and as far in the front as possible?

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
I hope and belives Sagan will crush Cavendish in the competition for the green jersey. Sagan is a great rider and is much more versatile than Cav. This year Boasson Hagen could be a contender if Sky gives him some freedom, but honestly I dont think he cares much for this jersey.

I believe it will be Cavendish who does the crushing of Sagan, OPQS are a well drilled team and it will be like the highroad days.

Kristoff to nick a sprint of Cav though, with Degenkolb to nick one from Sagan in an uphill finish

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Who will win the battle of the lead out trains? Will one team yield to another?
I think if Lotto yield to quickstep it's all over, however I don't think it's so true if it goes the other way.

karlboss said:
Who will win the battle of the lead out trains? Will one team yield to another?
I think if Lotto yield to quickstep it's all over, however I don't think it's so true if it goes the other way.

I agree. It seems Greipel is much better when he has his drilled train instead of scrapping for the right wheels. Unlike Cav who has shown many times that even if his train is at the front, if he believes there is a better wheel to follow he would drop back. Cav is much more versatile in the sprint.

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
MellowJohnny said:
I believe it will be Cavendish who does the crushing of Sagan, OPQS are a well drilled team and it will be like the highroad days.

Kristoff to nick a sprint of Cav though, with Degenkolb to nick one from Sagan in an uphill finish

Well I have no doubt Cavendish will win more stages than Sagan, but that does not mean he will win the green jersey. Sagan will compensate for less stage wins by taking points at the harder stages where Cavendish will come out with zero points. So yes Cav and his leadout will normally crush Sagan on the flat stages, but on the harder stages Cave will loose a lot of points to Sagan. A good leadout does not help if you dont got the power to stay in front up the mountains.

Kristoff is strong but he does not have any helpers around him, so I think it will be hard for him to beat Cav even though I hope I am wrong. Katusja is built around Rodriguez and will not give much help to Kristoff in the sprints. He pretty much need to do it all by himself to get results.

Karl Max said:
snipped..

Kristoff is strong but he does not have any helpers around him, so I think it will be hard for him to beat Cav even though I hope I am wrong. Katusja is built around Rodriguez and will not give much help to Kristoff in the sprints. He pretty much need to do it all by himself to get results.

Not necessarily disagreeing, but when we have 3-4 teams with full trains in sprint finales, the concept of cannibalizing could work as well. Katusha could allocate one guy for the placement and let Kristoff do what McEwen used to do.

Won't be easy however.

Karl Max said:
I hope and belives Sagan will crush Cavendish in the competition for the green jersey. Sagan is a great rider and is much more versatile than Cav. This year Boasson Hagen could be a contender if Sky gives him some freedom, but honestly I dont think he cares much for this jersey.
It will happen for sure, Cav doesn't stand a chance.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
Picking a team for the TdF CQ game, I noticed that in CQ terms at least Cav has the clearly strongest team behind him. We could see something like HTC 2009 IMHO. He seems to be fit as well, riding an attacking race in the nats. However there is tough competiton also between Greipel, Sagan and Kittel.

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
Cav v Sagan

As a Brit I'll be backing Cav for the Green Jersey.

This thread makes for interesting reading - taking an agnostic view, it 'feels' like Sagan is better thought of than Cav and generally more popular, anyone care to explain why that might be?

Taking a more objective approach than simply 'because I'm a Brit' I think Cav is the one to beat - He's proven he can win stages year after year and his consistency in the Giro was impressive. I accept he'll lose points in the mountains / any stage with a minor incline to it.

I haven't researched it much, but with Cav out of the picture at Sky last year how hard did Sagan get pushed for the Green Jersey? Has he been really tested / had to battle? I was impressed that Cav stuck the course at the Giro, let alone won so many sprint stages.

You're very put upon, but you bear it with such grace.

Meanwhile, the competitions starts tomorrow -

PROFILSPRINT.png

bedders50 said:
I haven't researched it much, but with Cav out of the picture at Sky last year how hard did Sagan get pushed for the Green Jersey? Has he been really tested / had to battle? I was impressed that Cav stuck the course at the Giro, let alone won so many sprint stages.

Sagan basically cruised to the jersey. Greipel, Cavendish, and even Goss scored decent, but the margin of victory was substantial. Sagan also held the jersey the entire Tour except after the prologue (when Cancellara held the green points lead, although Wiggins actually wore the jersey).

I do think this year will be different for two major reasons:

(1) Cavendish will be better. His 2012 Tour was his worst in a while. Whether that was due to the Sky team, the Olympics, or just poor form you be the judge. But he seems dedicated to the green jersey this year (not sure it was a goal in 2012), he has the team, and he has the form. He'll likely even fight for the intermidiate sprint points.

(2) The Route isn't as strong as last year for Sagan. Sagan had two uphill finishes (Stages 1 and 3) that were taylor made for him. There are no such finishes for him this year. Pretty much all the sprints are flat, which helps guys like Cavendish. The hope is that Sagan drops the sprinters and gets points on non last stages (Like 2 and 3) to make up for this.

How it turns out will likely depend on some luck. I know Cavendish and Sagan each crashed out of 1 sprint last year (maybe 2 for Cav I cannot fully remember). Something like that could turn this competition. But I'd favor Cavendish personally as the route suits him and Sagan will have to keep pretty high finishes in the flat sprints to win it (which is uncertain if Greipel, Kittel, Kristoff, Bouhanni, etc... are doing well). We'll see how it turns out.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Jericho said:
Sagan basically cruised to the jersey. Greipel, Cavendish, and even Goss scored decent, but the margin of victory was substantial. Sagan also held the jersey the entire Tour except after the prologue (when Cancellara held the green points lead, although Wiggins actually wore the jersey).

I do think this year will be different for two major reasons:

(1) Cavendish will be better. His 2012 Tour was his worst in a while. Whether that was due to the Sky team, the Olympics, or just poor form you be the judge. But he seems dedicated to the green jersey this year (not sure it was a goal in 2012), he has the team, and he has the form. He'll likely even fight for the intermidiate sprint points.

It was due to Sky being completely focused on the overall, meaning he didn't get many chances. He had to beg the team for them to work for him and give him the chance before his second stage win of the race.

With him having a team built entirely around him and his goal of green this year, he should do much better.

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
kingjr said:
It's cute how quite a number of Cav-Fans seem to think that if you don't share their assessment of his skill-level you must hold some sort of grudge against him as a person.

It's cute how you didn't read or interpret my post properly and instead decided to be a complete k*ob.

My question had no bearing on Cav's skill level, numbnuts. It's about a perceived preference toward Sagan and why that might be. Thanks for your pointless input though, really helpful.

Since the green jersey at the Tour de France gives out different points based on the type of stage, namely, flat, medium mountains and high mountains (and time trials), can anyone provide a link to somewhere on the official site or elsewhere where it states which stage falls into which category. Obviously it is possible to guess but some stages are on the cusp. Taa.

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
winkybiker said:
The coincidence of the same "country of origin" is one of the weakest reasons for "backing" a particular rider that I can think of.

But is still by farrrrrrrrr ( and that's a massive far) the main reason peoople cheer for sportsmen in sports ;)

wirral said:
Since the green jersey at the Tour de France gives out different points based on the type of stage, namely, flat, medium mountains and high mountains (and time trials), can anyone provide a link to somewhere on the official site or elsewhere where it states which stage falls into which category. Obviously it is possible to guess but some stages are on the cusp. Taa.

It's in the rule book on the official site.

Waterloo Sunrise said:
It's in the rule book on the official site.
OK, got it after some digging around en francais.

Flat - stages 1, 5, 6, 7, 10, 12, 13 & 21
Medium mountains - 2, 3 & 14
High mountains - 8, 9, 15, 16, 18, 19 & 20
Individual time trials - 11 & 17

Team time trial (no points) - 4

There you go, hope this is of help to somebody else.

TRENDING THREADS