• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Ineos Discussion thread

Page 22 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Can you fault him? The way he rides appears he has no definite contract yet, had injury for 6 months so potential risk to any future team, he needs a good GT place here to get best contract possible. If I was him I'd do the spare minimum.

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Gloin22 said:
Can you fault him? The way he rides appears he has no definite contract yet, had injury for 6 months so potential risk to any future team, he needs a good GT place here to get best contract possible. If I was him I'd do the spare minimum.

Well the directors of the teams are not muppets, they can still tell the value of a rider if rides for himself or doms and gets a lower GC placing. You can still see the strength on the TV.

Plus no team his going to sign him as a dom (not that Konig would want to anywhows) but that could limit a lot of his contract options for the big money teams.

Since Froome is still in touching distance of the leader when you factor in the time trial Sky really need to get Konig co-operating well. Froome's going to get dropped again no doubt and the longer he can slipstream the better.

Re:

Gloin22 said:

Like what Froome did in 2011 when he had no definitely contract?

Oh wait...

Re:

HelloDolly said:
I don;t need glasses ...Kennaugh was sent up the road as part of the SKY tactics...maybe you Kokoso should know something about tactics. Konig is quite clearly the strongest SKY climbing dom and if he doesn;t pace Froome then that there shows he is not working for his leader

Anyway all on here if Froomeis such a great climber can't he do his own thing ...after all on steep climbs like yesterday and tomorrow a dom is only needed if Froome is dropped and needs pacing

Most riders in the Vuelta do not use trains and if Froome is the rider everyone goes on about it he should be able to it himself for a change
Think today is quite enough to answer you.

Re:

PremierAndrew said:
I mean if Konig had done anything for Froome, Valverde wouldn't be 2nd on GC right now

I think Konig would have volunteered to work for Froome only for Froome to tell him not to.
I think Froome does that because he has been in Konigs shoes before. He knows how it feels to not know what could have been. Thats why Froome lets Konig do what he wants to.

Also, going forward from now on, Konig will work for Froome I would imagine. Froome has firmly established himself as the strongest in the team; something Wiggins could not do both in the Vuelta 2011 as well the Tour 2012.

Despite being a Froome fan, I think Konig was not at fault. He deserved to know where he stood and he is a great bike rider and he deserved to know too.

Re: Re:

silvergrenade said:
PremierAndrew said:
I mean if Konig had done anything for Froome, Valverde wouldn't be 2nd on GC right now

I think Konig would have volunteered to work for Froome only for Froome to tell him not to.
I think Froome does that because he has been in Konigs shoes before. He knows how it feels to not know what could have been. Thats why Froome lets Konig do what he wants to.

Also, going forward from now on, Konig will work for Froome I would imagine. Froome has firmly established himself as the strongest in the team; something Wiggins could not do both in the Vuelta 2011 as well the Tour 2012.

Despite being a Froome fan, I think Konig was not at fault. He deserved to know where he stood and he is a great bike rider and he deserved to know too.

I'm not blaming him for not working yesterday or beforehand. But at this point it's pretty clear that the best Konig is capable of is an anonymous top 6, while Froome has a shot at the podium at the very least. When Froome bridged to the Konig group, Konig could have taken initiative and helped

Re:

Gloin22 said:

You cannpt fault him?? Today Lopez and Kennaugh turned themsleves inside out to take the wind for Froome and ride at his tempo . Lopez interview says how hard it was as he was very anxious not to do it wrong. Konig meanwhile is up the road ? Why did he not drop back because by the time Froome caught his group he had to ride across from SAMU group in the wind..makes no sense . And Frooem didn't ask him ? Froome doesn't need to ask surely ...certainly doesn't ask Thomas or Heano or didn;t ask Porte .. Its not ust about being willing its about knowing what to do

The thing is Konig has been 6/7/8 in 3 Grand Tours and has shown any potential team his ability here ( which frankly is not above this level ) . What he needs to show is that he is a team player and a good dom which he has not been showing to get a contract. I can think of no world tour team that will have him as their out and out leader ...he would have to be a dom at some point

wwabbit said:
Gloin22 said:

Like what Froome did in 2011 when he had no definitely contract?

Oh wait...

Fwiw, Froome did have an offer from Lampre before that Vuelta

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site

PremierAndrew said:
silvergrenade said:
PremierAndrew said:
I'm not blaming him for not working yesterday or beforehand.
Still he actually did work for Froome. Somehow you've managed to miss two notes on this).It looks like you have some case of selective blindness.
Anyway he was Sky's plan B until tomorrow.

And...every rider can have worse day, or get better during GT, so at this point there is no way to tell how where he would be when Vuelta ends. Last obvious case of this was Nibali's Giro this year.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site

HelloDolly said:
Gloin22 said:

You cannpt fault him?? .... Why did he not drop back ...
You cannot. These days guys have radios and follow team orders. Sky was very clear that König is their another card for GC, so there you go.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Re:

HelloDolly said:
I don;t need glasses ...Kennaugh was sent up the road as part of the SKY tactics...maybe you Kokoso should know something about tactics. Konig is quite clearly the strongest SKY climbing dom and if he doesn;t pace Froome then that there shows he is not working for his leader

Anyway all on here if Froomeis such a great climber can't he do his own thing ...after all on steep climbs like yesterday and tomorrow a dom is only needed if Froome is dropped and needs pacing

Most riders in the Vuelta do not use trains and if Froome is the rider everyone goes on about it he should be able to it himself for a change
First - I was not blaming Kennaugh for riding in front group. Second - you've said König did no work for Froome. You've been proven wrong on this, König actually pulled Froome and that above is your reaction. Jesus... :rolleyes:

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Look at it this way - when DS tells rider to ride for GC, can you blame him for doing so? Or can you say that is prove that he is not good domestique?

Re: Team Sky Discussion thread

Konig is in monster shape this Vuelta.Hard to believe considering the setbacks he had this year.He should be able to fight for a top 5 place even while making a bit of work for Froome.

Not great today! :lol: We won't be seeing many (probably none) of these riders in the 2017 Tour team. I'm not sure Kennaugh and Lopez going on that big breakaway a few days ago was a great idea but then again Lopez was the strongest helper today. I think they already showed their relative weakness yesterday given that Moreno and two Movistar riders got in the break. Basically they've gone head to head with Movistar and come up well short. I haven't seen the first few km's of today's stage when the break was established so I don't know really how much you can fault Froome or the team. Froome (or Konig) should have been more attentive but maybe his legs were bad at the start? It was obvious on the final climb that he wasn't on a good day.

A pity there was so many problems with the team's best riders before the race. Even without the Tour domestiques, fresh riders like Roche and Intxausti would have been a big help.

JRanton said:
Not great today! :lol: We won't be seeing many (probably none) of these riders in the 2017 Tour team. I'm not sure Kennaugh and Lopez going on that big breakaway a few days ago was a great idea but then again Lopez was the strongest helper today. I think they already showed their relative weakness yesterday given that Moreno and two Movistar riders got in the break. Basically they've gone head to head with Movistar and come up well short. I haven't seen the first few km's of today's stage when the break was established so I don't know really how much you can fault Froome or the team. Froome (or Konig) should have been more attentive but maybe his legs were bad at the start? It was obvious on the final climb that he wasn't on a good day.

A pity there was so many problems with the team's best riders before the race. Even without the Tour domestiques, fresh riders like Roche and Intxausti would have been a big help.

Roche wasa very good road captain 2015 Tour...lots on here said he was uselss but they didn't see how he read the race and covered the moves the day of the cross winds and cobble stages, etc. This is a why a good road captain is very important and you only know this when they are not there and things go wrong. Kennaugh has not had alot of GT exerience and Konig while a very good rider has not realy ridden as a dom for a Top team , even at SKY
Its possible Knees was the rider I saw at the front when the race started but he cannot climb well and was probably dropped on the first climb Golas and Boswell have not lot of GT experience .. They could have don with a fit Kwaito
I feel for Konig....everything gone on in 8kms

TRENDING THREADS