• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Ineos (Formerly the Sky thread)

Page 1401 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: Sky

pastronef said:
yes Sniper, showing my colours, everyone has his favourite dirty team. Sky is mine.
I have favorite team(s). Don't see why we should let that cloud our judgment wrt doping and/or lousy journalism though.

(btw, i deleted my post. Thanks for taking it lightly.)

Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
pastronef said:
bobbins said:
Bronstein said:
bobbins said:
It's team sky's annual love in with their tame journalists so expect more articles on which team car they are using, 'exclusive' photos of standard bikes and sound bites from Sir Dave on why the team is so awesome and is winning clean.

The people on these camps are cycling fans, not journalists.

https://twitter.com/TeamSky/status/686837919563132928

Crash helmets on whilst watching the briefing. Just about sums those bell ends up.

the problem is yours, not theirs.
enjoy your afternoon
They are journalists, they're supposed to be objective not fanboys.

No hospitality accepted then? No sitting indoors with helmets on? Perhaps it was to protect them from the message.

is it really true that journalists have to be always objective? And if it is, does accepting hospitality prevent this? And further, if so, is Team Sky innovative and groundbreaking in offering it? Because if not, what's this sniping all about?

wrinklyvet said:
is it really true that journalists have to be always objective? And if it is, does accepting hospitality prevent this? And further, if so, is Team Sky innovative and groundbreaking in offering it? Because if not, what's this sniping all about?
The sniping is about journo's acting like fanboys. It's not necessary to report on Sky's change of car sponsor for 3 days straight and it's also not necessary to have seperate "exclusive" photo galleries for each rider's bike. If it happens once, no problem, but when a pattern can be found it becomes an issue for some people. Only Sky gets such ridiculous attention from the media and now it's clear why :rolleyes: Every time a team Sky member farts a journalist is ready to write a puff piece about it.

LaFlorecita said:
wrinklyvet said:
The sniping is about journo's acting like fanboys. It's not necessary to report on Sky's change of car sponsor for 3 days straight and it's also not necessary to have seperate "exclusive" photo galleries for each rider's bike. If it happens once, no problem, but when a pattern can be found it becomes an issue for some people. Only Sky gets such ridiculous attention from the media and now it's clear why :rolleyes: Every time a team Sky member farts a journalist is ready to write a puff piece about it.

How does it differ from this sort of stuff? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1akBasTxOfI

wrinklyvet said:
LaFlorecita said:
wrinklyvet said:

How does it differ from this sort of stuff? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1akBasTxOfI
Eurosport have several teams that give them access, and they report on those teams equally. Journalists can report on all teams and all riders, but they choose to report way more on Sky and their riders than on other teams and riders.

LaFlorecita said:
wrinklyvet said:
LaFlorecita said:
wrinklyvet said:

Eurosport have several teams that give them access, and they report on those teams equally. Journalists can report on all teams and all riders, but they choose to report way more on Sky and their riders than on other teams and riders.

Don't other teams allow journos to ride their bikes then?

wrinklyvet said:
Not sure about that, but other teams also make their bikes available to media for them to take pictures and write articles. You can find them on here, too. But you'll not often see multiple reports on one team, let alone 2 in 2 days, with the bikes virtually the same.

I think you're misunderstanding the issue. The issue is not that Sky is more inviting, it's that journalists are eating out of their hands which is clear from the amount of (superfluous) coverage the team gets. I'd prefer to read 3 articles about 3 different teams than 3 articles about 1 team. If you know what I mean.

LaFlorecita said:
wrinklyvet said:
Not sure about that, but other teams also make their bikes available to media for them to take pictures and write articles. You can find them on here, too. But you'll not often see multiple reports on one team, let alone 2 in 2 days, with the bikes virtually the same.

I think you're misunderstanding the issue. The issue is not that Sky is more inviting, it's that journalists are eating out of their hands which is clear from the amount of (superfluous) coverage the team gets. I'd prefer to read 3 articles about 3 different teams than 3 articles about 1 team. If you know what I mean.

Yes, it's a matter of personal preference, viewpoint or perspective. I quite see that. But if you thought another team was getting more press in the quiet time you might not mind. I don't see that Team Sky are doing anything wrong here, and I shall go and do something more useful instead. All the best. :)

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site

wrinklyvet said:
LaFlorecita said:
wrinklyvet said:

Yes, it's a matter of personal preference, viewpoint or perspective. I quite see that. But if you thought another team was getting more press in the quiet time you might not mind. I don't see that Team Sky are doing anything wrong here, and I shall go and do something more useful instead. All the best. :)
The point is those 'journos' are.
Fair game to Sky for exploiting it.

Oct 10, 2015
Visit site

pastronef said:
there's always the option of not cliking on cyclingnews.com's links to Sky related articles
I don't often click on those articles. But that's not the point.

The point is that you don't even have to click on the link. The title tells you all you need to know.
Team Sky to use Ford team vehicles in 2016
That's really the whole story there. I don't see any purpose in following the link. The whole world knows that Sky has been using Jaguar. I didn't have to follow any links to have that fact hammered into my head. Now they're going to use Ford. Wow. Fascinating.

Do you know what kind of cars any other teams uses? I don't, and I couldn't care less. It has nothing to do with anything.

wrinklyvet said:
You have the optional luxury of ignoring it all.
If only. I can ignore the articles, but not the links, the banner pics, and the visual pollution.

The point being made, is that CN's homepage, and god-knows plenty of Anglo cycling press outlets, are littered with such shallow Sky trivia on a daily basis, making avoiding it somewhat difficult if you go to these sites for any other cycling news.

It's quite simple, really. There's a bias. And it's obvious.

And it's boring.

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site

Campervan man said:
Can anyone recall the Tour last year and comments, reports that were made by journalists regarding angry, jealous French fans toward Sky?

Team Sky principal Brailsford told the daily sports newspaper L’Equipe on Sunday that a Frenchman winning the race “needs to happen” and that he “would like to win with a French rider”.
Brailsford did say that the team is “British and performance based” meaning he wont just sign a Frenchman to try and fulfill an impossible dream if he can win with a Brit.

http://cyclingquotes.com/news/brailsford_plays_down_french_tour_winner_dream/?urlPath=news/brailsford_plays_down_french_tour_winner_dream/?acceptCookie=1#WKLLVImcgSo7qGZW.97

when he started running the win with a frenchman, he got me.
I thought he was serious and that they were going to ditch Froomey.

Something may have happened to spoil the plan, or it was just PR to keep the french happy.
Or perhaps both.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site

mrhender said:
Campervan man said:
Can anyone recall the Tour last year and comments, reports that were made by journalists regarding angry, jealous French fans toward Sky?

Team Sky principal Brailsford told the daily sports newspaper L’Equipe on Sunday that a Frenchman winning the race “needs to happen” and that he “would like to win with a French rider”.
Brailsford did say that the team is “British and performance based” meaning he wont just sign a Frenchman to try and fulfill an impossible dream if he can win with a Brit.

http://cyclingquotes.com/news/brailsford_plays_down_french_tour_winner_dream/?urlPath=news/brailsford_plays_down_french_tour_winner_dream/?acceptCookie=1#WKLLVImcgSo7qGZW.97

Something may have happened to spoil the plan, or it was just PR to keep the french happy.
Or perhaps both.
in addition, there was quite a bit of British press about French fans hating on Froome, with the obvious implication this hate was borne out of jealousy.
deja vu.

pastronef said:
bobbins said:
Bronstein said:
bobbins said:
It's team sky's annual love in with their tame journalists so expect more articles on which team car they are using, 'exclusive' photos of standard bikes and sound bites from Sir Dave on why the team is so awesome and is winning clean.

Crash helmets on whilst watching the briefing. Just about sums those bell ends up.

enjoy your afternoon

I don't wear a helmet indoors whilst dreaming of riding in a ford estate car tossing dave bs salad but thanks for your concern ;-)

sniper said:
mrhender said:
Campervan man said:

Or perhaps both.
in addition, there was quite a bit of British press about French fans hating on Froome, with the obvious implication this hate was borne out of jealousy.
deja vu.

All straight out of the Armstrong press relations play book. Keep the press onside, invoke the patriotic national press against the bitter foreigners and soon any thoughts of doping or even using non approved wheels at the olympics will be last weeks news.

Control the press and you can more or less do what you like.

bobbins said:
pastronef said:
bobbins said:
Bronstein said:
bobbins said:

enjoy your afternoon

I don't wear a helmet indoors whilst dreaming of riding in a ford estate car tossing dave bs salad but thanks for your concern ;-)

I wore my helmet indoors while ordering a drink in the cafe. Was that a faux pas? It's so easy to make a mistake! :rolleyes:

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site

wrinklyvet said:
I wore my helmet indoors while ordering a drink in the cafe. Was that a faux pas? It's so easy to make a mistake! :rolleyes:
still missing the wider point.
the indoor sky helmet is just one of many symptoms.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Re:

TourOfSardinia said:
Back to marginal gains

Gazzetta went to see Sky today in Port d’Alcudia
http://www.gazzetta.it/Ciclismo/11-01-2016/sky-ritiro-froome-interviste-tour-maiorca-viviani-ford-nibali-140232479013.shtml

Meanwhile, Sky continues the path of maximum attention to detail and the details that is one of their most distinctive features. Confirmation also comes from the guidelines provided to the press for the day: by the way, it is recommended to wash your hands as much as possible using the dispenser of the hotel, especially before meals, because "it is essential that riders and staff to maintain the healthy to express themselves at the highest level. "

Yeah, that's why they're "the cleanest" team :D

TRENDING THREADS