• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The annual 'who wins the Tour de France poll' 2020 edition

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who wins the Tour de France 2020?

• Roglic

Votes: 56 33.1%
  • Bernal

Votes: 25 14.8%
  • Pinot

Votes: 22 13.0%
  • Dumoulin

Votes: 37 21.9%
  • Pogacar

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Quintana

Votes: 13 7.7%
  • Landa

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Alaphilippe

• Martinez

• Other

Votes: 11 6.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Dumoulin hasn't had any knee issues after the comeback? Why would it come back. It isn't there anymore.

Wondering more if he won't have anymore stomach issues. After that parasite early this year. And we all remember the Giro 2017...

I was just being silly (as I usually am, but I don't want to put a smiley behind every sentence I write, that would look even sillier...) It's startling, however, how many things are not going right for the favourites before the Tour.

So none of the favourites go into this without any pain:

Roglic: crash effects
Bernal: back pain
Pinot: back pain
Quintana: knee pain
Buchmann: crash effects

Dumoulin is fine, but who knows whether his knee issues don't come up again...

None of them caught Corona, though. thumbs up

Buchmann also has only had 3 1/2 racing days since the end of the lockdown and only 5 more all year. That's fairly ridiculous for a Tour de France challenge.

Covid19 should have been added to the list. The >4000 cases and rising is not good for Aug 29 since it will not decrease by that time but the deaths are extremely low fortunately. The race is in danger of being cancelled midway if it starts. Also covid may decide the winner based on the rules
What are the rules?

If anything, I can see the race being completely bonkers if there's a looming threat of race cancellation

It looks like Roglic and Bernal are the two favourites, with a slight edge for Roglic at the moment.

Pinot, Dumoulin, Buchmann, Quintana and Landa are next in line. Between these five, it's really unclear who you'd fancy.

Pinot looked the best at Dauphine. Maybe not super strong on the last day but still his form is exactly where you'd want him to be right now. He was the strongest climber in last year's race, and he'll need to be again this year if he's to have any chance of winning. Could be his year, or could be the usual.

Dumoulin is the most interesting - it's not often that the man who finishes 7th in the Dauphine is one of the biggest Tour favourites, but his form really did look good. That is, as good as one's form can look when not riding for GC. It's actually really difficult to properly gauge his form at the moment; he barely did anything for himself, but when he did attack on the final day he looked good. But surely you'd expect him to drop that group after sitting on for 15km while they worked frantically at the front. Still, he's looking good and he has the greatest GT pedigree out of all his rivals.

Buchmann looked to be at exactly the same level as Pinot in the Dauphine - pretty good for his first race back. Most likely would have podiumed if not for all the crashes, but he did crash and at the moment that's very worrying. Last year he was outclimbed by only Pinot and Bernal, and he'll be hoping to take another step this year. However, it all depends on his shape following the crash. He'll need to get back to 100% soon or he could be out of contention in the first week.

Quintana was of course super strong in the early season, but since the restart he's been inconsistent. A lot of that inconsistency is probably down to the injuries he sustained back in Colombia. The final day at the Dauphine did not look good at all, but he still has a very good chance.

Landa looked really strong, but like a lot of guys the final day at the Dauphine was just not good at all. He attacked early on and then got cramps. What does that tell us? I really don't know, but surely it won't happen again in the Tour.

Then there's Guillaume Martin. If you go by his reputation, he'll be looking to finish just inside the top 10. If you go by his form (most importantly, his form in this topsy turvy restart world) he could end up winning the bloody thing.

• Heart says Pinot.
  • Head says: Man we've been there before. He's gonna tear you apart sooner than later. Don't do it to yourself.
  • Heart: Tommy D then.
  • Head: He's a domestique now. Will have to work for others.
  • Heart: Roglic looks injured though.
  • Head: Roglic is a freaking robot. He doesn't get injured.
  • Heart: What about Kruijswijk? He's long due a big win.
  • Head: Out.
  • Heart: Froome?
  • Head: Out too. Don't you read the CN forum?
  • Heart: I only pay attention when someone mentions Moreno Moser.
  • Head: He's definitely not gonna win the Tour.
  • Heart: You never know with cycling.
  • Head: Oh, that I know. He retired last year. Won't ride the Tour.
  • Heart: ...
  • Head: let's settle for Bernal ok? Monster climber, great recovery... And he used to live in Italy. Man you gotta like him.
  • Heart: If you say so.
Bernal it is.
Ugh. I fear you are right (Bernal). Not buying that he has a real back issue. I think he's just getting his form cranked up now. -- True, this is somewhat of a departure for Ineos, where the TDF leader usually looks fairly dominant going into the big race, but we saw Bernal's form get stronger and stronger in last year's version. And the time trial profile really suits him, as a mountain stage. Hope I'm wrong. Nothing against Bernal, I'd just like to see a winner come from another team.

Ugh. I fear you are right (Bernal). Not buying that he has a real back issue. I think he's just getting his form cranked up now. -- True, this is somewhat of a departure for Ineos, where the TDF leader usually looks fairly dominant going into the big race, but we saw Bernal's form get stronger and stronger in last year's version. And the time trial profile really suits him, as a mountain stage. Hope I'm wrong. Nothing against Bernal, I'd just like to see a winner come from another team.
If he doesn’t have a back issue then why did he drop out of CD?

Either way it's strange imo. Nobody's going to underestimate him anyway regardless of what he says. And if he's not feeling good he'll be exposed as well. What's the point in saying this beforehand?

Valverde's done this his entire life. When's the last time he was underestimated? His first year as pro? Yet he's always downplaying his chances. Listen to him after the Dauphine and you'd think he was finishing in the grupetto on each stage. I suspect the point is to lower expectations.

TRENDING THREADS