• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Grand 2022 Wollongong UCI Road World Championships Thread, September 18th-25th

Page 42 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Agreed, will be way better weather on Sunday too and the race will be more controlled. Think the parcours is overrated.
Road width remains an underrated factor. If this was on Amstel-width roads, it would be more selective than Amstel.

Someone like Philipsen would have had a good shot here, can understand Belgium not taking him when they also have Van Aert but he's hardly the only more durable sprinter not there.

Saw the last 4 laps. It was nice to see the course in action. As in the ITT, the many corners were noticeable, and with the rain it made the race quite attritional. The lower speeds also opened the door for attacks outside of the climb.

It will be different for the Elite Men's Road Race, as it should be dry on Sunday. Team (and peloton) strength will also be different.

only watched the final couple of laps, but kinda liked it, can't see why anyone would blame it as "boring". And with Fedorov the best guy won. It's not his fault, that the UCI allows World Tour riders to compete now.

The U23 are rarely a good indicator for the elite race (as there never really is much of a selection anyway), but the course doesn't look super tough indeed. Will be difficult to get rid of guys like Matthews or Laporte. Probably impossible

Reactions: Sandisfan
After what I saw today, I don't think that we will have a 30 rider group contesting the sprint and guys that usually antecipate moves like Van Baarle might have a great shot.
A lot depends on the strength and tactics of Belgium, I think. I do think we should have a 30-rider group contesting the finale, but the likes of France and Italy will have half their team in a group like that. Then again France could also gamble on a sprint with Laporte, who is flying under the radar imo.

632d5e4a06fb2-Screenshot_2022-09-23_at_09.20.19.png

Final verdict having an indication of the actual course.

A lot depends on the strength and tactics of Belgium, I think. I do think we should have a 30-rider group contesting the finale, but the likes of France and Italy will have half their team in a group like that. Then again France could also gamble on a sprint with Laporte, who is flying under the radar imo.
I expect France to be very active before the last lap, but in the end to ride for a sprint. I think the Netherlands will ride quite defensively for MvdP (my favourite for the win).

I expect France to be very active before the last lap, but in the end to ride for a sprint. I think the Netherlands will ride quite defensively for MvdP (my favourite for the win).
Van der Poel rarely wins 20-to-30-rider flat sprints against good opposition though. The last one he was in, he and Girmay were the only two fast riders left, and he still lost that one (this was the cork incident stage). I also feel like he'll be instigating a few attacks himself, partly for that reason, partly because he's Van der Poel and he doesn't usually do defensive racing.

Awful world champion. A 22 year old Vuelta finisher.
You know this is the u23 race, right? Imagine critisizing the world champion for taking part in a race he is eligible for lmao.
Fedorov rode an incredible race, very derserving winner. Sure, he’s a pro, but that’s how the rules are. Wærenskjold has been pro for a few years now but still takes part in l’Avenir and Worlds. That’s how it is.

You know this is the u23 race, right? Imagine critisizing the world champion for taking part in a race he is eligible for lmao.
Fedorov rode an incredible race, very derserving winner. Sure, he’s a pro, but that’s how the rules are. Wærenskjold has been pro for a few years now but still takes part in l’Avenir and Worlds. That’s how it is.
Yeah, imagine doing that. I did it prior to the race, and I’ll do it now. Arguments like “that’s just what the rules are” are so lazy and boring. Just because it’s in the books doesn’t mean it’s good or doesn’t warrant change. So yes, I will be criticizing this world champion and I’ll be criticizing the next. You want to come in and swoop the whole thing? Fine, then you must meet a quota of an X amount of U23 races.

Reactions: postmanhat
Van der Poel rarely wins 20-to-30-rider flat sprints against good opposition though. The last one he was in, he and Girmay were the only two fast riders left, and he still lost that one (this was the cork incident stage). I also feel like he'll be instigating a few attacks himself, partly for that reason, partly because he's Van der Poel and he doesn't usually do defensive racing.
Van der Poel racing passively would just be asking to be isolated I think. I don't see him do absolutely nothing. Ofcourse Pogacar has the most reason to shred it to pieces, but because of Pogs strength I expect it to be much more reduced than the u23s and the juniors.

I'm fairly sure on hilly races the mens elite races tend to be more selective and get smaller groups or solo winners on some parcourses that had simpler reduced bunch sprints for the age restrjcted categories.

TRENDING THREADS