• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Jai Hindley thread

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Will Hindley win the Giro d'Italia

• Total voters
He's back!

FTS2LWUXwAYwnlJ

If Hindley wins the Giro he will go down as the rider with the shortest time gap between having his own thread on the CN forum and winning a GT.
Quite an achievement considering even my grandma probably has a dedicated topic on here.

PS: I voted all the options in the poll just for the lulz.
Fk I forgot to make a Safebet Grandma thread.

Is his TT better than Carapaz?
No. Let’s put it this way… if tomorrow was the final stage and with the timegaps atm Almeida would probably gain around 30/35 seconds to Carapaz and 40/45 seconds to Hindley. So I predict that in the itt Carapaz could gain something around 5/10 seconds for Hindley. For Hindley to have a shot of winning this Giro he needs to be ahead of Carapaz at least 5/10 seconds and around 40 seconds ahead of Almeida. The same for Landa because both Hindley and Landa will be around the same time in the iTT

Although, come to think of it, Bora clearly wanted to put Carapaz under presure and effectively isolated him, although the Ecuadorian was still the strongest in the final stages of the race (bar Yates, who, however, had the luxury of having nothing to lose and so bided his time as the GC leaders battled it out).

Now this could mean Bora is tired tomorrow and Ineos today was playing the long game, keeping its powder dry for the last brutal week of this Giro. Still, that Carapaz was so easily isolated leaves some doubt about the solidness of Ineos.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan
Although, come to think of it, Bora clearly wanted to put Carapez under presure and effectively isolated him, although the Ecuadorian was still the strongest in the final stages of the race (bar Yates, who, however, had the luxury of having nothing to lose and so bided his time as the GC leaders battled it out).

Now this could mean Bora is tired tomorrow and Ineos today was playing the long game, keeping its powder dry for the last brutal week of this Giro. Still, that Carapez was so easily isolated leaves some doubt about the solidness of Ineos.
This seems to confirm my thoughts that Bora did a big dig today, whilst Ineos is playing the long game:

“I think on this kind of day it’s much better to be aggressive than to sit in the bunch,” Gasparotto said afterwards. “Today was the kind of day where we had to use the collective. Later on, the stages have more of a Big Tour rhythm. Ineos will probably take control of that and it’s much more difficult to invent something. We had to take this day to do it.”

This seems to confirm my thoughts that Bora did a big dig today, whilst Ineos is playing the long game:

“I think on this kind of day it’s much better to be aggressive than to sit in the bunch,” Gasparotto said afterwards. “Today was the kind of day where we had to use the collective. Later on, the stages have more of a Big Tour rhythm. Ineos will probably take control of that and it’s much more difficult to invent something. We had to take this day to do it.”
It looked like a good day for both Bora and Ineos, in terms of Bora dictating in their terrain and Ineos being spared for theirs.

This will get interesting

TRENDING THREADS