• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The official Egan Bernal is the new Egan Bernal thread

Page 124 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Wtf is he doing???
He doesn't want to be bothered I assumed. I just don't get it. He is serious about just riding kilometers for next year and helping the others who are not a guarantee.
I assume he and the team decided before the race that he couldn't compete for the GC? At this point, it appears Ineos is a long shot at the podium. I guess Arensman is the team leader, but he is 12th right now with a lot of good riders in front of him.

It would be really interesting to hear what Ineos' management currently think of Bernal's prospects for the future. I thought I read that he is under contract until 2026, so maybe he isn't under any pressure to perform any time soon? I will say this about him, he doesn't seem to be a big ego guy (as a multi grand tour winner) where he thinks working for others is beneath him (ie Froome). For that reason, he will have a spot on the grand tour teams until 2026.

I hope he is saving his money from his current contract, as the next one may not be as big.

Egan Bernal gave an interesting interview in Spanish in the second edition of Latin Cycling Legends in "La Movida". Several nice things to say about the interview were the following:

- Interesting to know that it was hard for him to land a job even when he scored a second place in the world championship in 2014 and 3rd in 2015. later in 2016 He got a job in RR with a Monaco team.
- When the transfer from the Monaco team to Savio's team, it came with a 5 year timeline. That was a huge indication that he was a big talent after his effort tests with the Monaco team.
- He still carries the back problems and seems to be very concerned about it. He said that the back problems developed for the worse in 2020 by working too many hours in the rollers. He said that his legs felt very good that year and his numbers were higher than in 2019 but his back gave up.
- There is no plan for 2024. It is a moot point if He doesn't get back to his old form. He plans to ride nationals and Tour Colombia in order to gain some confidence but from there on is undefined.
- he wants to win the Vuelta so that He completes the triple. Obviously.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAFSURp4qI4

Egan Bernal gave an interesting interview in Spanish in the second edition of Latin Cycling Legends in "La Movida". Several nice things to say about the interview were the following:

- Interesting to know that it was hard for him to land a job even when he scored a second place in the world championship in 2014 and 3rd in 2015. later in 2016 He got a job in RR with a Monaco team.
- When the transfer from the Monaco team to Savio's team, it came with a 5 year timeline. That was a huge indication that he was a big talent after his effort tests with the Monaco team.
- He still carries the back problems and seems to be very concerned about it. He said that the back problems developed for the worse in 2020 by working too many hours in the rollers. He said that his legs felt very good that year and his numbers were higher than in 2019 but his back gave up.
- There is no plan for 2024. It is a moot point if He doesn't get back to his old form. He plans to ride nationals and Tour Colombia in order to gain some confidence but from there on is undefined.
- he wants to win the Vuelta so that He completes the triple. Obviously.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAFSURp4qI4
Thanks for summarizing. Sad to hear his back is still so bad.

I don't think it is that bad. But he said it is still a concern and pain has not gone away.
I developed a bulging disc and I have to manage it a little bit every day. I don't know how you could train like a pro cyclist if that's his problem. After 2-3 hours, even with a more upright position on my bike, I have to stop. In a more aero position, on the drops, no way.

If his fitness level improves even more, to level similar to 2019, I hope he gives Vuelta GC a try as its the only Grand Tour he has never won and often has a mountainous route with little TT kilometers which should suit him. We likely won't be one of the top favourites but can still have a chance of completing the treble.

Other than that, I would like to see him target some hilly one-day races especially Lombardia, where he was third in 2019 and the World Championships in years with hillier routes.

I saw Thomas, Hindley, Almeida fighting for a GT win. Please! give me fricking break.
The issues with his health is the biggest concern in order to win a GT not his rivals. Please don't give me that story. Vingo and Pogacar are on another level. But Simon, Adam are riders that he has beaten before, even with pain in his back. If you are assuming that he won't recover or won't improve then you are right. But not because of his rivals.

Good to see Bernal win in the Colombian nationals. Hopefully this bodes well for the season ahead. Are there any updates on his back injury matter?

There was also some recent discussion of Bernal in the Pogacar thread, mostly around the merit of his 2019 TdF win.

But Bernal was 22 years-old when he won the Tour and was the new "Messi". He was a better TTer than Quintana and could fight for victory in Strade Bianche. I realize Quintana was very good, but Bernal was more complete. Bernal won the Tour and Giro, so it's arguable Quintana was the better Grand Tour rider, who won Giro and Vuelta. It's feasable that peak Bernal could go mano a mano against Vingo and Poggi, but alas back problems and the crash will likely never let us know.

3rd is a great result, but not a win. Hope to see him in the mix again this year.
For those that watch American football and specifically, this weekends championship games, multiple players commented that public opinion and media saying that players and teams were the underdog gave them motivation that they wouldn't have had without the loud stoking of doubt.
You can see and hear that Bernal is getting something, getting inspiration and motivation from constantly hearing and reading that he is done, he can't come back.
Won't see me saying he is finished, I am in a state of constant amazement that he literally came back from the dead to be standing on the podium at nationals.. Impressive for anyone