• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The official Egan Bernal is the new Egan Bernal thread

Page 125 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Great article on Bernal.

A reminder of his injuries puts it all into perspective.
fractured vertebrae, a fractured femur, a fractured patella and a punctured lung
On his struggle to regain his old level.....
Physically, it was very difficult, because I wasn’t the best version of myself and I was suffering quite a lot,” Bernal explains “But every time I had a moment where I was struggling mentally, I’d remind myself, ‘I’m alive,’ and that was already a win for me
Touché.

He’s done very well to even get back to this level but is it fair to say his role in the biggest races is unlikely to be anything more than climbing domestique/stage hunter?
Well I think today was definitely the best we’ve seen from him since the accident. Was desperately hoping he could hold on and beat Jonas in the sprint but not quite to be. Still a very promising ride though.

I doubt it. Even in 2019, he was still not on the level of what we have been seeing from Jonas or Teddy. It’s great to see him competing at a high level again though.
Considering where he's been with injuries he may need another season to find a new peak. That said, this is new territory for Egan, too. Most of his wreckage is recoverable but the vertebrae are a very sensitive human component. If he can use all of his strength each day without pain he may surprise everyone. That'd be cool.

Considering where he's been with injuries he may need another season to find a new peak. That said, this is new territory for Egan, too. Most of his wreckage is recoverable but the vertebrae are a very sensitive human component. If he can use all of his strength each day without pain he may surprise everyone. That'd be cool.
I've broken 2 vertebrae in a cycling incident, unless you remain paralized, you recover. The problem can be on long, hard rides thereafter, in which you begin to hurt there, but otherwise it should not be a hindrance. Having said that, I don't think peak Bernal is on their level.

I've broken 2 vertebrae in a cycling incident, unless you remain paralized, you recover. The problem can be on long, hard rides thereafter, in which you begin to hurt there, but otherwise it should not be a hindrance. Having said that, I don't think peak Bernal is on their level.
Broken bones (including vertebrae) almost always heal. But if Bernal also badly ruptured one or more discs in the accident, the resulting problems may not improve without surgery. But I don’t remember his specific set of injuries.

You cannot compare, we all only guessing. Not even Bernal knows how his body will respond. Every crash and injury is different. Each injury is specific and each person has different recovery rates for various injuries. There are factors Bernal can control, but others he cannot. The best we can do is react based upon his results. Considering what we know I think his results are promising so far.

You cannot compare, we all only guessing. Not even Bernal knows how his body will respond. Every crash and injury is different. Each injury is specific and each person has different recovery rates for various injuries. There are factors Bernal can control, but others he cannot. The best we can do is react based upon his results. Considering what we know I think his results are promising so far.
Very much agree in that Egan doesn't know how far he can go. We know that confidence is critical to this sport and I doubt his position on the bike resembles his prior posture. I absolutely don't know that answer. He could have limitations he'll reach based on how he's healed and how much more he can reach into his motivation to train around those challenges. He's pretty amazing right now and we'd all gain a great challenger and story out his success.
Broken bones (including vertebrae) almost always heal. But if Bernal also badly ruptured one or more discs in the accident, the resulting problems may not improve without surgery. But I don’t remember his specific set of injuries.
Spoken from the heart of your Avatar!

Very much agree in that Egan doesn't know how far he can go. We know that confidence is critical to this sport and I doubt his position on the bike resembles his prior posture. I absolutely don't know that answer. He could have limitations he'll reach based on how he's healed and how much more he can reach into his motivation to train around those challenges. He's pretty amazing right now and we'd all gain a great challenger and story out his success.

Spoken from the heart of your Avatar!
Ha! I forgot about that :) Yeah, I registered on CN during a stretch when it was really bad .

He had around half dozen surgeries. It was pretty bad. He was saying the other day somewhere in the order of 24 bones. But not sure if I heard correctly.

I have had multiple broken bones both sides of my upper and lower body and had a procedure rear of my neck to redirect a problem nerve, I am like a meteorologist.. My body can signal coming rain or change in pressure and humidity and the sensitivity is in the locations of the breaks.. I have what is described as a speed bump on my right collar bone from the calcium build up. And my ex wife described it as ugly and when she said to the doctor, can't anything be done he looked at her and said " what is he going to do modeling? " been a joke ever since, I can almost guarantee that Bernal will have lifelong effects from his injuries.Don't remember but I think one of his bones broken was a femer.

I have had multiple broken bones both sides of my upper and lower body and had a procedure rear of my neck to redirect a problem nerve, I am like a meteorologist.. My body can signal coming rain or change in pressure and humidity and the sensitivity is in the locations of the breaks.. I have what is described as a speed bump on my right collar bone from the calcium build up. And my ex wife described it as ugly and when she said to the doctor, can't anything be done he looked at her and said " what is he going to do modeling? " been a joke ever since, I can almost guarantee that Bernal will have lifelong effects from his injuries.Don't remember but I think one of his bones broken was a femer.
That’s pretty funny about the model :) Also I didn’t mean to see having broken bones were easy to deal with—but it’s a more direct problem than healing soft tissue damage.

I feel your meteorology and painful history. The metal in neck, knee and shoulder can also predict temperature trends.
My first Cat 4 crash (2nd race) left me with a cloudy clavicle x-ray. I asked the Doc if they would fix it with a rod. "Fix what?" He suggested the cloudy, fragmented 2" gap would consolidate over time. Proud owner of the entire Teton Range profile now. It has smoothed to a more Colorado-esque view after 35 years. The other side looks more like undulating sand dunes. Cycling is great on shoulders. I can't go strapless in ball gowns, either.