• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Real Football Thread

Page 120 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
After watching the game I can't help feeling that the England France game should not have gone ahead, while I understand wanting the game to go ahead, it seemed to me that the French players where just not up for it, which is understandable, I think they needed more time between Fridays events and playing competitive (yeah I know it was a friendly) again.

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
Make that four...
Couldn't see the game, but damn, four goals at their own home? Benitez might end up getting sacked... (not likely, but Florentino is known for being impatient)

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Barca are continuing against Roma what they did to Real last weekend. Messi's finish for the second goal will go down as the culmination of a Barca team classic.

But then again Roma capitulate at least everytime they're in the Champions League against good sides:
2014/2015: Roma 1-7 Bayern
2010/2011: Shaktar 6-2 Roma (over two legs)
2008/2009: admittedly didn't happen this year
2007/2008: ditto
2006/2007: Manchester Utd 7-1 Roma

It's not without precedent :p

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
The only team in the 5 major leagues not to sign an outfield player getting outplayed by Norwich in the second half.

Two points from nine and terrible in all three games. Not to mention the Bayern away game. Huge problems. It beggars belief to me how Wenger doesn't have huge pressure coming down on him and how he still has this big reputation as a great manager.

He's nowhere near a top manager nowadays.

I see Stones today linked with Arsenal. I like him as a player but Wenger already bought two centre backs in Chambers and Gabriel that costed over £25m between them. The only issue is that they're not good enough. Too mixed in the transfer market these days. No sympathy for Wenger.

I'm counting down the days to the summer of 2017.

Re:

ebandit said:
............that could well be true.........but as a toon fan i can only dream of having wenger

serving up football with real flair................man u are the dullest ever and could win the title

.....i would much rather watch arsenal............thank you! (arsenal fans fail to appreciate just how lucky they are)

Mark L
can't say arsenal are that much flair these days. Wenger and his crew are a shadow of their former selves - Utd remind me of george graham's arsenal "boring boring"...
toon are more entertainment off the pitch since Sir Bobby left, or is that since Ashley took over?
Then again, chelsea are taking up that entertainment mantel these days - funny that their old manager has a championship side in the top four while the guy who replaced him isn't that far off relegation and going stir crazy ;)
And I'm aware that could change pretty quickly as Leicester are likely to drop soon considering that they haven't faced any of the top sides other than arsenal - duffing them up 5-2... Utd, Spurs, citeh n pool all likely to hand them some losses soon despite Vardy's run

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
Real Madrid might get eliminated from the Copa del Rey for using a suspended player against Cádiz (a third division team iirc).
Sure, the suspension happened before the guy joined the team (Cheryshev, suspended while in Villareal), but this isn't a fourth-division team, this is Real Madrid ffs. They can't be this dumb.
*facepalm*

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Re: Re:

Archibald said:
ebandit said:
............that could well be true.........but as a toon fan i can only dream of having wenger

serving up football with real flair................man u are the dullest ever and could win the title

.....i would much rather watch arsenal............thank you! (arsenal fans fail to appreciate just how lucky they are)

Mark L
can't say arsenal are that much flair these days.

For once I agree with you. ;)

I would say that ever since the summer of 2011 when they lost Fabregas and Nasri. Wilshere was coming off an excellent season and then he missed the entire season the following year. That was half the front six gone and it was left to Van Persie to carry the team on his own. The 12/13 season was based on a strong defensive display in the last few months of the season where Koscielny and Mertesacker were excelllent after Vermaelen was finally dropped. At one point in December they were 10th in the league that season. Since 13/14 and the signing of Ozil onwards, I only see flashes of good football where it's easy on the eye. It's no different this year. Only Leicester away and the first 20 mins or so against United spring to mind.

He has the attacking players to do so on a consistent basis but he doesn't have a strong defensive two in the midfield to give a platform for the forward thinking players to perform. I like Coquelin but he has getting a tad bit overrated and only due to the fact he's judged against what's there already in that position with Arteta and Flamini who should be nowhere near a club nowadays that have supposedly ambitions to win the league. Mourinho knew very well with Ozil when he had Alonso and Khedira. Cazorla is a excellent player but the partnership with Coquelin won't cut it at the top level to win trophies. Gary Neville is right, it's arrogance on the part of Wenger that he hasn't addressed this very area of the team.

I don't think Arsenal will decline hugely if Wenger leaves. For every Moyes at United, there is a Mourinho replacing a successful Mancini at Inter elsehere. Wenger has done a brilliant job, I won't dispute his great achievements. He has been one of the best things ever to happen to English football, but I believe now it has become a stale relationship where a change in the air is needed. At no other top club would Wenger have made a judgement call by not signing a top outfield player. That's due to the comfort zone he knows he's in where he has full knowledge that there is no accountability on him.

Arsenal shouldn't be afraid of change. Arsenal had a great history before his arrival.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Re:

ebandit said:
....i'm redefining dictionary description of eloquence to..................................''gooners on one.............'

one nil to the gooners was good ........................it's better now .......is that not enough.................

come and watch the toon...........villa...........mackems ............fans hoping for a glimpse of

better days.................

Mark L

By that standard, everything is rosy in the garden from an Arsenal point of view. But then should Arsenal be judged to that standard with their revenue streams and the huge cash reserves in the bank that they have available to spend.

I think fans are right to query that, considering they pay the highest season ticket prices in England and are heavily contributing to this.

Every other club of Arsenal's stature in football are judged to a certain standard. Why shouldn't they?

The success of Van Gaal at United won't be judged against simply doing better that Newcastle, Sunderland and Villa.

Why should Wenger be any different to any other manager? I see him to be judged like anyone else.

Saying that doesn't diminish his previous great achievements. That Wenger was as good as you get but this is not the same manager that I see now. I see players over the last number of years, that he wouldn't have deared even looked at in his successful years. Back then there was no messing with Wenger, there was a ruthless streak where he didn't want to give Ferguson an inch. Any player he signed that performed poorly or he got wrong, he didn't hesitate to freeze them out of the team or sell them on(eg: Jeffers, Richard Wright). As time went by he developed a stubborn streak and consistently showed faith in players who were continually failing to perform in the hope of proving everyone wrong(Senderos, Almunia, Denilson, Eboue in midfield, etc.). His record got a lot more mixed in the transfer market( Park, Santos, Benayoun, Squillaci, Chamakh, Podolski, Silvestre, Debuchy, Gervinho, Sanogo, Flamini,). I also have huge doubts about Gabriel and Chambers stepping up to the plate and who costed over £25m between them. Benitez got huge criticism for this at Liverpool and yet a word is rarely ever said about Wenger in relation to this.

He used to sell players at the right time with Vieira, Petit, Overmars, Ljungberg and Henry springing to mind. All at the right ages. Nowadays he resigns a guy in Flamini at that age and who thinks can contribute significantly to the team. He gave Arteta a year extension whose legs are gone and is too slow for defensive midfield(not that he ever was one).

His transfer isn't as coherent and clear as some think. He wouldn't even go further than 40m and a pound for Suarez and then a few weeks later pays more for Ozil who is an inferior player to Suarez. Wenger tries to be clever in the transfer market by putting his own prices on players, but he doesn't dictate the nature of the transfer market as a whole.

I find nothing admirable about many aspects these days of Wenger's transfer policy. All this and his dithering does is cost Arsenal signing players of quality and therefore doesn't give them the best opportunity of competing for the League and Champions League. Cahill, Mata, Suarez, Alonso, Schwarzer, are just some of the examples. Scouts and agents are known to not like dealing with Wenger on transfers.

I respect your opinion, I have a toon friend myself who always says the same to me as your good self. :)

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Rotten

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/us-prosecutors-indict-16-more-in-fifa-corruption-investigation-a3129501.html

US prosecutors indict 16 more in Fifa corruption investigation

Five current and former members of Fifa's ruling executive committee were among 16 additional men indicted on corruption charges as part of U.S. prosecutors' widening investigation into soccer corruption.

Led away by Swiss federal police in a pre-dawn raid Thursday at a Zurich hotel were Juan Angel Napout of Paraguay, president of the South American confederation, and Alfredo Hawit of Honduras, head of the North and Central American and Caribbean governing body. The action came just before Fifa's executive committee met to approve reform measures.

Ricardo Teixeira, a former Brazilian federation head, also was indicted. He is the former son-in-law of Joao Havelange, who was Fifa's president from 1974-98.

Ten current and former members of Fifa's executive committee have now been charged.

More to follow

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Excellent read, Gooner.

United States officials unsealed a 236-page indictment on Thursday that described charges against some of the most powerful leaders of international soccer, including the current and former presidents of Brazil’s national federation and top executives of FIFA, the sport’s governing body.

The new charges hit South and Central American soccer leaders particularly hard.

The unsealed indictment lists the 16 new defendants: Alfredo Hawit; Ariel Alvarado; Rafael Callejas; Brayan Jiménez; Rafael Salguero; Héctor Trujillo; Reynaldo Vasquez; Juan Ángel Napout; Manuel Burga; Carlos Chávez; Luís Chiriboga; Marco Polo del Nero; Eduardo Deluca; José Luis Meiszner; Romer Osuna; Ricardo Teixeira.

Mr. Callejas is the former president of Honduras.

About 14 hours before the indictment was unsealed, Swiss authorities conducted predawn arrests in the broad investigation, led by United States officials, into corruption in international soccer. By day’s end, a huge case that has upended FIFA had nearly doubled in size.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/04/sports/soccer/fifa-scandal-16-more-charged-after-zurich-raid.html

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Elsewhere this is dubbed the FIFA World Cup of Corruption...

Defendants from 20 countries and money through 40 countries, and they aren't even done yet..

And this is not people from behind the scenes, but leading figures inside the sport.

Re: Re:

gooner said:
By that standard, everything is rosy in the garden from an Arsenal point of view. But then should Arsenal be judged to that standard with their revenue streams and the huge cash reserves in the bank that they have available to spend.

I think fans are right to query that, considering they pay the highest season ticket prices in England and are heavily contributing to this.

Every other club of Arsenal's stature in football are judged to a certain standard. Why shouldn't they?

The success of Van Gaal at United won't be judged against simply doing better that Newcastle, Sunderland and Villa.

Why should Wenger be any different to any other manager? I see him to be judged like anyone else.

Saying that doesn't diminish his previous great achievements. That Wenger was as good as you get but this is not the same manager that I see now. I see players over the last number of years, that he wouldn't have deared even looked at in his successful years. Back then there was no messing with Wenger, there was a ruthless streak where he didn't want to give Ferguson an inch. Any player he signed that performed poorly or he got wrong, he didn't hesitate to freeze them out of the team or sell them on(eg: Jeffers, Richard Wright). As time went by he developed a stubborn streak and consistently showed faith in players who were continually failing to perform in the hope of proving everyone wrong(Senderos, Almunia, Denilson, Eboue in midfield, etc.). His record got a lot more mixed in the transfer market( Park, Santos, Benayoun, Squillaci, Chamakh, Podolski, Silvestre, Debuchy, Gervinho, Sanogo, Flamini,). I also have huge doubts about Gabriel and Chambers stepping up to the plate and who costed over £25m between them. Benitez got huge criticism for this at Liverpool and yet a word is rarely ever said about Wenger in relation to this.

He used to sell players at the right time with Vieira, Petit, Overmars, Ljungberg and Henry springing to mind. All at the right ages. Nowadays he resigns a guy in Flamini at that age and who thinks can contribute significantly to the team. He gave Arteta a year extension whose legs are gone and is too slow for defensive midfield(not that he ever was one).

His transfer isn't as coherent and clear as some think. He wouldn't even go further than 40m and a pound for Suarez and then a few weeks later pays more for Ozil who is an inferior player to Suarez. Wenger tries to be clever in the transfer market by putting his own prices on players, but he doesn't dictate the nature of the transfer market as a whole.

I find nothing admirable about many aspects these days of Wenger's transfer policy. All this and his dithering does is cost Arsenal signing players of quality and therefore doesn't give them the best opportunity of competing for the League and Champions League. Cahill, Mata, Suarez, Alonso, Schwarzer, are just some of the examples. Scouts and agents are known to not like dealing with Wenger on transfers.

I respect your opinion, I have a toon friend myself who always says the same to me as your good self. :)
2 points off the top from a team that'll drop down once it faces the big dogs, is a pretty sh*t place to be... ;)

Every team has their benchmark and arsenal's was a few years back - going to be tough to replicate it, but as Fergie used to say; a great team is one that does well even when it's not playing well, which really does sum up arsenal at the moment. Then again, I did mention their side back in the 90's and good (cough cough) old "One nil to the..." days

Utd will be only recently looking back over their shoulder too trying to live up to the Ferguson years. Who knows, if vanGaal fails, they could be like Pool are today - trying to reclaim past glories and sitting there trying just to make europa and fighting it out with the like of the spammers...

but you're right about wenger - i get the impression he feels he can't be wrong, and i'd wager that considering his league position right now, he'll be feeling pretty vindicated about that (self) opinion
regardless of the less attractive football that's been growing since the sale of fabregas and vpersie

Re:

ebandit said:
........a toon win where a toon win never appeared possible..............joy!

..........a weekend of surprises in the premier league

jose still likely to be sacked in the morning...........which morning?

Mark L
I'd say if he loses to leicester - or until Abramovich can convince Pep to join

did have a chuckle at the barcode's win - I work with two rabid pool fans - oh, what fun!

TRENDING THREADS