• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 40 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
^^I thought it was interesting about how he fills his time, and some mistakes he made regarding rest and recovery. Sounds like it's a struggle -- as it should be -- to fill up his days, as a 19 year old. I mean, I certainly wouldn't have had the discipline to live like a monk when I was 19.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Re:

tobydawq said:
Apparently, Dumoulin is more impressed by Remco than Jancouver is:

The opening months of Evenepoel's career have given him plenty to smile about, including his performances in San Juan and the UAE. However, an encounter with Tom Dumoulin during one of the stages of the UAE Tour ranks highly in his favourite moments so far.

"[It was] a day with lots of wind and echelons. It was a real war out there and the peloton had split in two. I got caught behind a crash and ended up in the second echelon but I felt the pace wasn't high enough so I attacked and rode across to the first group on my own," explained Evenepoel.

"When I got there, another crash happened and I found myself behind once again. This time with Elia Viviani, who we were going for that day. Tom Dumoulin was also in that group. I started to pull at the front for Viviani and I just went full gas for 10 minutes or so trying and close the gap. Eventually, we made it back and when things calmed down a bit, Dumoulin went to me and said "Wow, you're really amazing. Good job!

"That was really a big moment for me, to have the Giro d'Italia winner and time trial world champion come and tell me that. It was the most beautiful moment of my season so far."

LOL as we all know, being strong does not count for anything.

But at least he knows that he made some mistakes and hopefully will learn from those mistakes.

BTW, I can't wait for next year when he will reach Pogačar's age and start crushing the field just like the young Slovenian. :cool:

Riding Hammer Stavanger.

In yesterdays Hammer Climb, he showed himself, bridging the gap from the peloton to the break, solo. He joined the break right before the climb and got dropped immediately. Had to chase again, joined the break again a few KM before the next climb and got dropped again. He only managed to win 45 points. Ironically most points were won by Sam Bennett (the sprinter). DQS finished 7th.

In todays Hammer Sprint, he was again very active and won more points than Groenewegen, Bennett and Hodeg combined. :D DQS won this round.

Tomorrow Hammer Chase (TTT).

Video's on the Hammer website.

--------------------------------

Unfortunately, as evident from this video (https://twitter.com/HammerStavanger/status/1132323848295198720) Remco still has a lot to learn from the big boys.

Re:

Not surprisingly, this is just more evidence that Doumoulin is pure class

tobydawq said:
Apparently, Dumoulin is more impressed by Remco than Jancouver is:

The opening months of Evenepoel's career have given him plenty to smile about, including his performances in San Juan and the UAE. However, an encounter with Tom Dumoulin during one of the stages of the UAE Tour ranks highly in his favourite moments so far.

"[It was] a day with lots of wind and echelons. It was a real war out there and the peloton had split in two. I got caught behind a crash and ended up in the second echelon but I felt the pace wasn't high enough so I attacked and rode across to the first group on my own," explained Evenepoel.

"When I got there, another crash happened and I found myself behind once again. This time with Elia Viviani, who we were going for that day. Tom Dumoulin was also in that group. I started to pull at the front for Viviani and I just went full gas for 10 minutes or so trying and close the gap. Eventually, we made it back and when things calmed down a bit, Dumoulin went to me and said "Wow, you're really amazing. Good job!

"That was really a big moment for me, to have the Giro d'Italia winner and time trial world champion come and tell me that. It was the most beautiful moment of my season so far."

Re:

Mavic said:
It is striking, the frequency with which he takes a tumble. Hope he never gets seriously injured.
I think for the time being, all that excess babyfat is breaking his fall. He's crashed 5 times so far this season (to my knowledge), never injured.

But like i said in the "lesser known races" thread, we all knew this was going to be a problem. Yet i wonder if DQS is doing anything about it.

60 kilometers in the attack with Marc Hirschi, in Norway. Unfortunately, they got caught less than 5k from the finish by the 4th team that was chasing in the peloton (Ineos), after they had killed off 3 teams trying to catch them. Impressive ride today. At one point the peloton was torn in pieces due to the high pace. Still Hirschi and Evenepoel managed to stay ahead while their lead never was larger than 63 seconds.

Re:

Kazistuta said:
Impressive ride indeed from both of them, but let's not forget the quality of the field in Norway (or lack of), and the peloton breaking up was mainly due to the crosswinds and the open field.

A peloton breaking due to crosswinds, can only happen when they ride "balls out". That's the point. It's even very difficult to bridge a gap even with a small group, with crosswinds from peloton to peloton, but these two stayed ahead of the peloton the entire time. If it were somehow easy to stay ahead of a peloton in crosswinds, the peloton would never break into pieces to begin with, because it would be equally easy to just follow the pace, even if it meant riding in the wind in a new echelon.

And i think there is actually more quality in the peloton compared to some other races held not long ago. Don't forget, that since this is clearly a sprinters stagerace, all the sprinter teams have something to gain to bring the break back. Which was very clear today. Maybe Evenepoel would have had more luck with another rider that wasn't so close in GC as Hirschi (who was only 17 seconds down in GC).

------------

Evenepoel after the stage:

“Today I tried to go for the stage win and that’s why I made my move on that long climb. We worked really well together and went full gas, but they caught us very close to the finish, helped also by those long, flat roads. It felt amazing to be on the attack and put the others under pressure, but I’m a bit disappointed that we got caught as it happened so late in the stage. Fortunately, the race isn’t over yet and we’ll keep trying”, an upbeat Remco said in Drammen.

Short interview with Hirschi: https://video.eurosport.com/cycling/tour-of-norway/2019/hirschi-i-hope-this-is-the-first-of-many-battles-with-remco-evenepoel_vid1204918/video.shtml

Re: Re:

Valv.Piti said:
King Boonen said:
Isn't the Hammer Series the race where Betancur destroyed the field and everyone thought he was back on track for world domination..?
It was and Betancur went on to ride a very decent Tour before the Vuelta where he finally showed his 2013 shape on the same day he crashed out.

I think for someone of his talent his tour performance was fairly average.

Basically, great Remco is winning, but lets not get too carried away with this particular result.

TRENDING THREADS