• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 426 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
Ok fine compare with these pictures instead.

vingegaard-jonas-of-jumbo-visma-during-the-tour-de-france-2022-cycling-race-stage-20-time-trial-lacapelle-marival-rocamadour-407-km-on-july-23-2022-in-rocamadour-france-photo-laurent-lairys-dppi-2JJFNEG.jpg

vingegaard-jonas-of-jumbo-visma-during-the-tour-de-france-2022-cycling-race-stage-20-time-trial-lacapelle-marival-rocamadour-407-km-on-july-23-2022-in-rocamadour-france-photo-laurent-lairys-dppi-2JJFNE9.jpg

I made no assessment about weight, the comparison was not about that. To repeat I see someone with muscular legs, thighs, solid upper body, not an anorexic guy, in addition a low aero position not that far from Evenepoel.
Not sure how this addresses anything I said. Why am I comparing Vingegaard to Vingegaard?

Ok fine compare with these pictures instead.

vingegaard-jonas-of-jumbo-visma-during-the-tour-de-france-2022-cycling-race-stage-20-time-trial-lacapelle-marival-rocamadour-407-km-on-july-23-2022-in-rocamadour-france-photo-laurent-lairys-dppi-2JJFNEG.jpg

vingegaard-jonas-of-jumbo-visma-during-the-tour-de-france-2022-cycling-race-stage-20-time-trial-lacapelle-marival-rocamadour-407-km-on-july-23-2022-in-rocamadour-france-photo-laurent-lairys-dppi-2JJFNE9.jpg

I made no assessment about weight, the comparison was not about that. To repeat I see someone with muscular legs, thighs, solid upper body, not an anorexic guy, in addition a low aero position not that far from Evenepoel.

You are wrong. Don't judge upper bodies when in TT position. Do you think Vinge has such a belly? This is true Vinge's upper body, compare it to Primoz, who's not big either. To sum up, Vinge is super thin, almost like a pipe.

Njc4NDQuYQsCVjh3fg5sHkEObC04V2JIFhZ0Zn5EfFpTTHhzZFo9DE5VKik4GycZF0YvJzsUYB0TVyoqfwUiRRBAITYwEitYTFIrJSUAPA8HayE2OBInBAJYYXJjFHhZBwcoImBCKlJTa3p3YUN5UlcAYC4hEmwX

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan
You are wrong. Don't judge upper bodies when in TT position. Do you think Vinge has such a belly? This is true Vinge's upper body, compare it to Primoz, who's not big either. To sum up, Vinge is super thin, almost like a pipe.

Njc4NDQuYQsCVjh3fg5sHkEObC04V2JIFhZ0Zn5EfFpTTHhzZFo9DE5VKik4GycZF0YvJzsUYB0TVyoqfwUiRRBAITYwEitYTFIrJSUAPA8HayE2OBInBAJYYXJjFHhZBwcoImBCKlJTa3p3YUN5UlcAYC4hEmwX

Roglič really looks like someone who just tried riding with no hands for the first time, while Vingegaard is all "Hey! Ho!". :D

You are wrong. Don't judge upper bodies when in TT position. Do you think Vinge has such a belly? This is true Vinge's upper body, compare it to Primoz, who's not big either.
There's no big stomach in those pictures. It's a photograph, of course you can make a comparison, assessment, whatever, it's not less true. The muscular legs don't go away in the road races either. He's skinny, yes, you're talking about a stage race cyclist. So what? But not anorexic and I get tired of people compulsively writing that as an insult.

But not anorexic and I get tired of people compulsively writing that as an insult.

But who except you was even using the term anorexia here? I searched the last 10 pages and I found nothing. Krzysztof_O said he resembles a KZ survivor, which you may think was in bad taste, but clearly a joke.

edited to add: btw, even if Vingegaard was unhealthily underweight during the Tour, it probably wouldn't be a concerning problem for him since he was doing it purposely under medical survillance to reach a certain goal. It doesn't have to be sustainable if he's not on that weight continuously throughout the season. I sort of agree with you that medical diagnoses like that shouldn't be made in jest.

Last edited:
FWIW Lemond said 1kg was worth quite a bit more than that over the length of a climb, so this is definitely a "modest" estimate.
Have a think and do the calculation. On Alpe d'Huez, an additional kg will cost you ~11.5 kJ. If you push 380 watts, that takes you 30 seconds.

For this to translate to an on-the-road penalty, you have to assume that the marginal W/kg is 0, i.e. that you don't lose any power by losing weight. Good luck with that.

Reactions: Tonton
i dunno, JV looks way more stretched out in the arms
That image of Remco is from late 2019. He doesn't have his custom aerobars yet, which he got before Algarve 2020, and he's wearing his ECC jersey. So it's a pointless comparison. He weighed roughly the same, but was more chubby and less muscular. His position on the bike was also different. After his ECC title, they changed his position at least twice.

Well QS did what was expected, a good time. Pity JV was that much stronger than the others and he alreayd has a deficit of 14seconds to Roglic. But he has 15+ seconds on almeida and closer to 30seconds on Hindley and co. So he is off for a good start.

Next up don't fall in the netherlands...
There is not a lot of wind to be expected, so shouldnt be to dangerous.

TRENDING THREADS