• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tirreno - Adriatico 2021, March 10 - March 16

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I think VdP knew he wasn't really in a position to fight bar to bar with Ewen WvA etc. He got a little boxed in and probably didn't see a safe way out.

I'm not 100% certain why VdP is in this race, actually. It's not like he needs an extra 2-3% for the next leg of classics...
VdP wasn't going to contest the sprint anyway. He was trying to lead out Merlier, but as we've seen before, leading out someone is one of the few things he's not good at on a bike.

I think VdP knew he wasn't really in a position to fight bar to bar with Ewen WvA etc. He got a little boxed in and probably didn't see a safe way out.

I'm not 100% certain why VdP is in this race, actually. It's not like he needs an extra 2-3% for the next leg of classics...

edit: Maybe Merlier was designated sprinter for Alpecin today? He's been really strong too.
Merlier is here for the sprints, yes. As for Mathieu, he's not a worse sprinter than Wout is, but the way they need you ride their sprint in order to win, is different, and some finishes favor one over the other. Mathieu has better acceleration, Wout more power (maybe higher top speed in longer sprints).

edit: Maybe Merlier was designated sprinter for Alpecin today? He's been really strong too.

Yes, Merlier is the sprinter.

thankfully we don't have a "dutch antilles" champion or something in a similar jersey

ah, an all-timer

da9vRjrAXdbnCtGYkRkeyn-1200-80.jpg

Reactions: RedheadDane
I don't see how we can put a limit on his capabilities yet with him not having ridden GC for himself before. It's wild but I really don't rule out him getting a long way up that thing with the best
I think it's unlikely and frankly it would be insane if he could. There's a big difference between doing the first 30% of a big climb before chilling off the rest of the climb and between being up there with the best

Reactions: Sandisfan
If the MTF was something like Sassotetto or Selvarotonda, he would definitely be the favourite right now, but Prati di Tivo usually has about a minute separating the winner from tenth place, and tenth would be a really good showing. He'll have to take time on the murito stage to stand a chance, in any case.

Is Wout now the favorite to win GC here (only one mountain stage plus a TT finishing up)?

There is also a behemoth of a stage waiting in Castelfidardo. They have a good team, but not a strong enough team to control this one.

But yeah, his chances are there. I still have the feeling, that riders like Quintana and Landa will attack very early on Prati di Tivo, so things will be difficult there.

Merlier is here for the sprints, yes. As for Mathieu, he's not a worse sprinter than Wout is, but the way they need you ride their sprint in order to win, is different, and some finishes favor one over the other. Mathieu has better acceleration, Wout more power (maybe higher top speed in longer sprints).
exactly. Which is why Van Aert is more suited to mass sprints.
  1. he is better at positioning
  2. he can hold top speed longer
  3. vdp is dislikes the hectic of a mass sprint.

1 and 2 are already enough.

Small group sprint or 1vs1 however, it almost depends on daily form or timing of sprint who wins. In sprints they both contested (finished in top 20) it's currentl 6-2 to VDP but largely with races before 2019... when Van Aert decided he could sprint. Now it's about 50/50 when they go against eachother. But when it's in a big mass sprint, Van Aert will win almost every time vs VDP because he is simply much much better at mass sprints.

exactly. Which is why Van Aert is more suited to mass sprints.
  1. he is better at positioning
  2. he can hold top speed longer
  3. vdp is dislikes the hectic of a mass sprint.
1 and 2 are already enough.

Small group sprint or 1vs1 however, it almost depends on daily form or timing of sprint who wins. In sprints they both contested (finished in top 20) it's currentl 6-2 to VDP but largely with races before 2019... when Van Aert decided he could sprint. Now it's about 50/50 when they go against eachother. But when it's in a big mass sprint, Van Aert will win almost every time vs VDP because he is simply much much better at mass sprints.
I think positioning is the biggest issue for Mathieu (in that regard, #1 and #3 are likely very related, which is actually funny considering his technical skillset and risks he takes in CX and MTB). Regarding his acceleration/top speed, that would simply mean he would/could have to wait longer to jump out of the wheel of whoever is leading him out (be it a teammate or rival). He could basically wait longer to place his jump, surf the speed of his competitors and use his acceleration in the final 100m.

When the final is very technical, and the speed in the peloton is lower, that should also suit Mathieu more.

Last edited:
If the MTF was something like Sassotetto or Selvarotonda, he would definitely be the favourite right now, but Prati di Tivo usually has about a minute separating the winner from tenth place, and tenth would be a really good showing. He'll have to take time on the murito stage to stand a chance, in any case.
he can also gain back time in the ITT. Sure, Pogacar finished only 24s behind Ganna in UAE - but Engels said that the aim is to win that one, so they seem to be confident that van Aert is better than Ganna now