• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tom Dumoulin discussion thread

Page 153 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Very good news.
The potential to achieve more was there with Sunweb but they couldn't support Tom in a way fitting a proven GT winner. Tom loved to be in the Team and beleived in them. That's why he signed the multi year contract with them. So the insufficient support alone wouldn't have been enough reason for him to leave but combined with the mishandling of his knee injury... he had enough.

He will get the necessary Support at Jumbo I'm sure. Another positive thing is that his injury cannot be that serious if JV signed him.

Please Tom Dumoulin left for the money ...anything else is just flannel

Reactions: DFA123
This is really interesting. The signs of Jumbo Visma developing a great gc team were already there last year and now they have possibly the number one gc rider in the world right now as their leader. No more "isolated on the penultimate climb" for Dumoulin in the next years.
The only question I have is how they will deal with the ambitions of their three leaders. I mean, Kruijswijk is now argubly their 3rd strongest gc rider and he just finished on the tdf podium. The team has to enter at least one gt with two leaders now.

This is really interesting. The signs of Jumbo Visma developing a great gc team were already there last year and now they have possibly the number one gc rider in the world right now as their leader. No more "isolated on the penultimate climb" for Dumoulin in the next years.
The only question I have is how they will deal with the ambitions of their three leaders. I mean, Kruijswijk is now argubly their 3rd strongest gc rider and he just finished on the tdf podium. The team has to enter at least one gt with two leaders now.
Handle it like Movistar

In the last Giro at least

Co leadership shouldn't be nearly as big of a problem as it's made out to be. Jumbo were perfectly fine in the Tour last year. Kruijswijk got what he wanted from the Tour de France, I think he's fine leading the Giro. Dumoulin and Roglic can both ride the Tour.

The problem isn't in having 3 great GT riders. I think the problem is what the hell do you do with Groenewegen if you want to win the Tour.

Handle it like Movistar

In the last Giro at least

Co leadership shouldn't be nearly as big of a problem as it's made out to be. Jumbo were perfectly fine in the Tour last year. Kruijswijk got what he wanted from the Tour de France, I think he's fine leading the Giro. Dumoulin and Roglic can both ride the Tour.

The problem isn't in having 3 great GT riders. I think the problem is what the hell do you do with Groenewegen if you want to win the Tour.

Yeah, I don't think Groenewegen can stay in the Tour team. If JV is serious about winning the Tour they must sacrifice everything for it. They signed Dumoulin for a relatively big money and probably also paid Sunweb a buyout so Tom didn't come cheap. Now ruin this investment with having a sprinter + 1-2 leadout man in the Tour team? I say that is stupid. Sky ditched any sprint ambitions when they transitioned the focus to GC and Jumbo have to do this well. Groenewegen can start in the Giro if he wants imho.

I'm curious about Roglic in the Vuelta. If he can win it the dynamics could be even more interesting between the team. In that case I would perhaps send him to the Giro and have Kruijswijk superdom Tom at the Tour. If Roglic fails to win again he can be the superdom and let Kruijswijk have the possibility at the Giro. And the Vuelta? For anyone who still has some strength in him, or maybe even the De Plus + Bennett duo as co-leaders.

In theory Jumbo could even send a monster team to the Tour with Dumoulin, Roglic, Kruijswijk, Bennett, De Plus, Gesink, WVA and Tony Martin but this would be probably just too much with all eggs in that basket. :)

Stupid strong team next year.

The interesting part will be the schedule, I honestly don't know what the best plan it. I think you send Kruijswijk and Groenewegen to Italy and bring Kruijswijk back to the Tour along with Dumoulin/Rogla, but its very hard. When you have two of the absolute biggest favorites for the Tour, I dont think there's enough space for Dylan in a 8 man team. It also gets a bit easier since he only won one stage this year.

We already have the 2020 tour winner and his name is tom dumoulin. I can feel the anger, the desire of being great again. Now Sky's kingdom is over, finally it's a great day to be alive
Might be a little too early to call the demise of a team who just took 1st and 2nd place at the Tour with their 2nd and 3rd choice GC riders....and the current Giro winner joining next season.

Next year should be interesting though...

What's so hard about leaving Groenewegen out of the Tour roster? He's not prime Cavendish or Cipollini, the dominant kind of sprinter you send to any given GT and will get you 4-5-6 stages. Plus the opportunities for sprinters are less and less while the sprinting field is way deeper.

You have probably more chances to win stages by taking WvA and Teunissen to the Tour as domestiques and giving them the chance to ride for themselves in flattish/hilly/windy stages.

It's a no brainer, guys. You want to win the Tour and you have Dumoulin, you go all in. Dylan rides the Giro and the Vuelta. If he's unhappy, well, goodbye Dylan.

Reactions: Noddy97 and kiszol

Being on one of the strongest, if not the strongest, team going into next year should only increase their chances to win or finish on the podium. For either of them. Even if 2 of them are sent to the same GT. Hopefully they view it like that. Dumo and Kruijwjik are also both Dutch. They will surely get along and be loyal if one of them has the lead or can win. Roglic is a nice guy. This will only push them to be stronger, hopefully, than cause trouble and ego getting in the way between them.

^^Agree with the idea that you send Kruijswijk (or even Bennett) to the Giro as No.1, then hold out Roglic/Dumoulin for an all-out assault on the Tour, with Kruijswijk or Bennett as super-doms in the Tour. A TTT team with Roglic and Dumoulin could produce some big gaps.

A second, just marginally suboptimal, choice would be to send Roglic to the the Giro as No. 1, with Kruisjwijk as super-dom or co-leader at the Tour. He had a great July.

Either way, it's a good dilemma to have. I'm also interested to see who Ineos sends to the Tour -- would they send Bernal, Thomas and Froome? It probably depends on Froome's form.

Dumoulin might prefer the Giro d'Italia though, because of its more balanced old-school routes!

In which case Jumbo-Visma is perfect, because they can send a full domestique squad to Italy for him. Meanwhile they just go to the Tour de France with Groenenwegen, Kruijswijk and/or Roglic, Van Art & Theunissen. Which is a great team, too.

Dumoulin might prefer the Giro d'Italia though, because of its more balanced old-school routes!

In which case Jumbo-Visma is perfect, because they can send a full domestique squad to Italy for him. Meanwhile they just go to the Tour de France with Groenenwegen, Kruijswijk and/or Roglic, Van Art & Theunissen. Which is a great team, too.
I mean I guess you are right, but it just feels like at some point Dumoulin almost has to stop this giro stuff and finally concentrate on the Tour. And I'm a big giro fan but as much as I like the race I have reached the point where I just want to see Dumoulin going all in for the tour.

About the Groenewegen problem, sure he is no prime Cavendish or Kittel but he is still argubly a top 3 sprinter and top 3 sprinters usually want to go to the tour (and rightfully so, I feel the difference in attention a cyclist gets at the tour compared to the giro is even bigger for sprinters than for climbers, plus of the 3 gt's the tour still usually has the most sprint stages). So while it isn't that big of a problem for Jumbo to just not include him in their squad it will definitely be one for Groenewegen. Can't see him staying at the team for the longterm if JV really goes all in on gc.

Reactions: perico
But who the fu## cares about sprint stages. there should be no more than 6 sprint stages, why do they have 9/10 stages like every single year in tour (bar the 2019 tour) when there is only 5 or 6 six mountain stages? It should be at least equal and the mountain stages are the one we really want to see and attract people to see them (on the road or at home). Why are sprinters so massively overpaid and overrated? why punchers don't have 9/10 stages instead of the sprinters?
This just to saying that groenewegen has no space in the tour, send him to the vuelta.

But who the fu## cares about sprint stages. there should be no more than 6 sprint stages, why do they have 9/10 stages like every single year in tour (bar the 2019 tour) when there is only 5 or 6 six mountain stages? It should be at least equal and the mountain stages are the one we really want to see and attract people to see them (on the road or at home). Why are sprinters so massively overpaid and overrated? why punchers don't have 9/10 stages instead of the sprinters?
This just to saying that groenewegen has no space in the tour, send him to the vuelta.

Sprint stages are usually long. It adds up. Things can still happen with cross-winds (as seen this year). A crash or mechanical could put someone out since it is usually pretty hectic and the peloton gets nervous.

You also cant have 21 days of just mountains. It wouldnt be much of a "tour" of the country, since that is kinda the premise. Even though they dont make the route like that. They moreso visit different regions from year to year. Some more than others of course. You also need these type of stages to transfer between places.

Sprint stages are usually long. It adds up. Things can still happen with cross-winds (as seen this year). A crash or mechanical could put someone out since it is usually pretty hectic and the peloton gets nervous.

You also cant have 21 days of just mountains. It wouldnt be much of a "tour" of the country, since that is kinda the premise. Even though they dont make the route like that. They moreso visit different regions from year to year. Some more than others of course. You also need these type of stages to transfer between places.
I didn't say sprint stages shouldn't be at gt's. What I said was that we don't need 9/10 sprint stages like we normally see in the tour. Hilly stages can also add a lot of exciting race and can also be transitional stages. I just don't understand why sprinters are so overestimated and punchers/attackers are normally forgotten in the tour.

I didn't say sprint stages shouldn't be at gt's. What I said was that we don't need 9/10 sprint stages like we normally see in the tour. Hilly stages can also add a lot of exciting race and can also be transitional stages. I just don't understand why sprinters are so overestimated and punchers/attackers are normally forgotten in the tour.

Sprinters are probably "more valued" because of the Green jersey.

Reactions: Leinster
Wondering why that is, why so few TT kilometers nowadays?
Because, a) “people” don’t like time trials (don’t ask me which people) and b) if you put 100km of TT in any TdF route in the past decade, it’s basically giving Sky (be it Froome, Thomas or Wiggins, but not Bernal so much) a 2 minute head start over any other realistic GC contenders, until the emergence of Roglic and Dumoulin.

Reactions: geisterhome

TRENDING THREADS