• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tom Dumoulin discussion thread

Page 182 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
It's a much better performance than Yates' sub-three hour marathon from last week, I would say.

Three hours is a realistic target for most male runners who train seriously. 32.5 on a 10 k isn't.
Yes. They're pretty different races in so many ways, so not super comparable, but for a bigger guy who is not a world class runner, that 10k was quite respectable.

Not necessarily.

Pro cyclists‘ coaches actually advise them not to run. If they run, it‘s only in the off season (October/November).

Yates‘ marathon and Dumoulin‘s 10 kms both are super strong performances. I however was a bit shocked Yates and Dumoulin (and maybe others we don‘t know about) were allowed to run 10/42 kms, by their teams/coaches. 10 kms in 32 minutes and 42 kms in less than three hours could prove a problem for a pro cyclist‘s legs, after merely three or four weeks of running training.

Pro cyclists‘ coaches actually advise them not to run. If they run, it‘s only in the off season (October/November).

Yates‘ marathon and Dumoulin‘s 10 kms both are super strong performances. I however was a bit shocked Yates and Dumoulin (and maybe others we don‘t know about) were allowed to run 10/42 kms, by their teams/coaches. 10 kms in 32 minutes and 42 kms in less than three hours could prove a problem for a pro cyclist‘s legs, after merely three or four weeks of running training.
I wouldnt say they are both super strong performances
Dumolin's 10k is by far more impressive, in fact if you enter his 10k time in most running race calculators its the equivalent of a 2:31 marathon

Wout would beat him
with a cross-bike on his shoulder
knee deep in mud
any day.
Not so sure about that. Van Aert recently had a decent time over 10 miles (approx. 16 k). But his pace (4:24/km) didn't come close to Dumoulin's (3:19/km).

1c84bc52-29d0-11ec-b07d-02b7b76bf47f.png

https://sporza.be/nl/2021/10/10/van...m-dacht-ik-is-dit-wel-vakantie~1633873417030/

Dumoulin saying he wants to go 100% for whatever he targets next year, basically saying he won't go to a GT if he's just there to be a domestique and he wants to win, but also explicitly saying that doesn't exclude GTs.

It's starting to smell like Giro d'Italia. Or still a co leader in the Tour, but whatevs.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Dumolin's 10k is by far more impressive, in fact if you enter his 10k time in most running race calculators its the equivalent of a 2:31 marathon
In my own experience, I'd never trust any running race calculators that predict marathon running times from 10k or half-marathon times. They underestimate the marathon running time by a large margin for non dedicated pro runners.
Dumulin's 10k is better tan Yates' marathon but not far more impressive.

Time to find the 60 riders that are better runners than Wout van Aert. It does make sense considering running is much more akin W/kg than putting out W/CdA. I would expect an Adam Yates to be a better runner than a Filippo Ganna
LOL, WvA running numbers are very unimpressive for an athlete of his class. I did a half-marathon at a faster pace than that and I was a fat nobody doing half-arsed training runs between work and beers.

In my own experience, I'd never trust any running race calculators that predict marathon running times from 10k or half-marathon times. They underestimate the marathon running time by a large margin for non dedicated pro runners.

LOL, WvA running numbers are very unimpressive for an athlete of his class. I did a half-marathon at a faster pace than that and I was a fat nobody doing half-arsed training runs between work and beers.
One argument I'd make is in general runners who haven't done marathons yet won't have the experience with such duration of effort, whereas cyclists do such durations all the time, even if not all out.

Still Pidcocks running time is the only one that's truly crazy and that one seems way too fast to believe

You do realize (right?) that Dumoulin’s time was from a race and Van Aert’s was apparently just from a run around the neighborhood? He could have been trying to run off a hangover for all we know.
I mention it not because It matters who ran what, but because I’m amazed at how quickly folks use false equivalencies to jump to conclusions about one rider being better at something than another.

If riders posted how long it took them to vacuum their living room or sweep their porch folks would be checking the square footage and thickness of carpet to determine who was going to do better at the Ronde or the Tour next year.

On the other hand, we are really in the depths of the off-season, so I suppose having something to talk about is better than nothing!

Agreed. Dumoulin's time is even more impressive considering his weight. Maybe I would expect such a time from a feather weight climber (like Pidcock) but not from Dumo. Low body mass is even more important in running than in cycling.

One argument I'd make is in general runners who haven't done marathons yet won't have the experience with such duration of effort, whereas cyclists do such durations all the time, even if not all out.

Still Pidcocks running time is the only one that's truly crazy and that one seems way too fast to believe

What is interesting about cyclists is versatality they need to possess:

1. Ability to sustain (and recover from) very long efforts (superb endurance, aerobic efficiency)
  2. Ability to hit turbo mode for a few or a few dozens of minutes (TTs, climbs), especially needed to be a top cyclist (high anaerobic threshold, lactate tolerance, VO2 max esp. for shorter "turbos")
In case of runners they are better at 1) (very long distance) or at 2) (long/middle distance) but don't need to be the best in both.

Last edited:
Absolute weight matters much less in running than cycling up mountains. No runner is fighting gravity as directly as cyclists rolling up and down a mountain.

10k is easier to get closer to a 100% effort your first time/first few times out than a marathon. Experienced runners still take years to fully show their marathon potential, even after they are aging in the wrong direction.

I'm impressed by TD's 10k. Serious question: does anyone have any photos or know what shoes he is wearing? Same with Yate's marathon? I will also say that road races can be mis measured, but haven't looked into what event TD ran at.

For a non-runner, the new carbon fiber shoes can really be the missing piece. They are purported to impact running economy, something a non-runner but trained cyclist would have the least of but be most ready to capitalize on improvements in.

Absolute weight matters much less in running than cycling up mountains. No runner is fighting gravity as directly as cyclists rolling up and down a mountain.
Disagree. A runner is lifting their whole body up with every stride. A cyclist is only fighting gravity on uphill gradients. The 5000m champion from Tokyo weighs 52kg! That's a 12:30 minute race.

Serious question: does anyone have any photos or know what shoes he is wearing? Same with Yate's marathon? I will also say that road races can be mis measured, but haven't looked into what event TD ran at.
In the latest episode of the Cycling Podcast, it was reported by Daniel Friebe that Adam Yates ran his marathon on Vaporfly shoes. No info on Dumoulin's footwear. There were some pictures, but I'm personally not able to identify his shoes.

Tom-Dumoulin-e1636902546575-728x350.jpeg

View: https://mobile.twitter.com/WielerFlits/status/1459957554017030144

• Wow
Disagree. A runner is lifting their whole body up with every stride. A cyclist is only fighting gravity on uphill gradients. The 5000m champion from Tokyo weighs 52kg! That's a 12:30 minute race.
If anything elite level middle and long distance running is even more physiology restricted than cycling, any extra height and weight basically rules you out of being able to compete at that level with very few exceptions.

TRENDING THREADS