• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Tour de France 2022: Stage 15 (Rodez – Carcassonne, 202.5k)

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Magnus Cort. He believes he could have continued, but has been withdrawn because of his team's own tests and covid principles.

I think it should be a doctor's decision whether a rider can continue or not - a test result in itself should not be enough.

I do understand the way things are handled this year - but in the future I think we need to go back to the pre-pandemic principles.
100% agree, it's not the same as 2 years ago, we now know the effects of it are much less severe. I would argue stop testing completely, only when a rider is unwell and then the doctor decides like in the past with other illnesses. Like with Dani Martinez for example, we knew he was ill but they decided to keep him in the race.

You aren’t ready for racing if you are contagious. I think a lot of people aren’t grasping that a key difference between Covid and a lot of other viruses is that the R number of the current variants isn’t like flu, it’s like measles. Leave contagious guys in the race, on the busses, in the hotels, at the team briefings, on the basis that they aren’t themselves any sicker than they might be with other things that they would struggle on with and huge swathes of the peloton will get it by Paris. Which, even aside from the health implications for those who get unlucky with their symptoms, will certainly effect the racing a lot more than eight guys getting pulled.

Its not hypercaution about the sick riders themselves. They let Majka continue, at some small risk to his own health, because he wasn’t contagious,
Majka had a supposed lower viral load, not enough to withdraw him. Is still contagious though.

Reactions: Sandisfan