• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Tour de France 2022: Stage 7 (Tomblaine – La Super Planche des Belles Filles, 176.3k)

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Suprised by the swiftness of dislike aimed towards young Pogacar. Personally I’m agnostic about him, but he is fun to watch.

It reminds me of the early days of this forum, when Alberto (The Great One) was despised here. Now I loved Alberto, but it is interesting to not be emotionally invested and see the shift in attitude when people slowly realize that no one is going to beat this guy for a long time barring misfortune.

I'd guess the main reason for that is that he blasted onto the scene beating a lot of riders people are fans of. It's not fun to have your favourite riders be seemingly chanceless.

Also dominance can get pretty boring. But in that regard I think we should be happy about Pogacar being the dominant rider because he uses his strengh to do amazing stuff. Not stare at his power meter and ride a train to GT wins.

Roglic seems to be in pain of some sort

FXJYqJAXkAEkkow

It’s amazing to read and hear so called experts and journalists who “don’t understand why UAE are working.” Pogacar literally said: “we will go for the stage,” you don’t have to do research for this, it wasn’t a big secret.

Exactly, his girlfriend is waiting at the top, he wants to get there first for a kiss before someone else does. :D

Suprised by the swiftness of dislike aimed towards young Pogacar. Personally I’m agnostic about him, but he is fun to watch.

It reminds me of the early days of this forum, when Alberto (The Great One) was despised here. Now I loved Alberto, but it is interesting to not be emotionally invested and see the shift in attitude when people slowly realize that no one is going to beat this guy for a long time barring misfortune.

What’s surprising about it? Dominant, predictable winners are poison to suspense and entertainment. Fans watch to be entertained. A rider like Pogacar is quite entertaining for the brief period on his way up and for about ten minutes after he reaches the top and then represents a suffocating presence, strangling life out of races, right up until the moment when it becomes clear that he’s on the slide and starts to gather some sentimental sympathy as a faded champ making a last tilt at glory.

Nobody likes a winner.

Unless he's your countryman.

Reactions: Sandisfan and noob

Because he is dominant. So far I find him still exciting but since I eventually also disliked Froome, Contador and Armstrong when they dominated, I will probably become annoyed by Pogacar soon as well. Maybe even this Tour still.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan