• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 614 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apparently Vincenzo's first win as a junior took place in Solarino (Siracusa) in 1998, at 14 years of age. Since he's there with Trek now, the mayor promptly made him citizen of honour.

img-20191217-231447.jpg

Last edited:
The threat to Rohan Dennis

TT and TTT dat @TrekSegafredo #squalodellostretto @Bontrager @trekbikes https://t.co/l764OZ5jFH
According to La Gazzetta they already gave him a TT bike to train at home, Bahrain only gave him one shortly before the Giro.
A few other interesting things:
He'll start his season in Algarve because he dislikes having to deal with the jetlag and big temperature differences will make you get sick easier. He has never been at altitude this early and won't do an early recon of the Olympic RR, he'll be traveling to the Olympics early enough, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Also from Gazzetta, Slongo says they'll work on increasing workloads, greater care of explosiveness and maximum strength that, physiologically, are lost a little bit. Work in the gym will also increase throughout the year.

MzM1YmU3N2M2YjI1.jpg

Nibali didn't use disc brakes on his road bike not because he didn't like them, but because of weight issues. In this sense Trek found high performance solutions that convinced him.

"With the way I ride my bike maybe it becomes a bit more 'dangerous' - smiles Nibali - in the sense that the disc brake takes you even more to the limit. But, especially in the wet, it can help you a lot. "

• Love
Reactions: Carols and Red Rick
Also from Gazzetta, Slongo says they'll work on increasing workloads, greater care of explosiveness and maximum strength that, physiologically, are lost a little bit. Work in the gym will also increase throughout the year.

MzM1YmU3N2M2YjI1.jpg

Nibali didn't use disc brakes on his road bike not because he didn't like them, but because of weight issues. In this sense Trek found high performance solutions that convinced him.

"With the way I ride my bike maybe it becomes a bit more 'dangerous' - smiles Nibali - in the sense that the disc brake takes you even more to the limit. But, especially in the wet, it can help you a lot. "
I think that's a pretty bike.

He tends to crash on wet descents (Rio, Angliru stage, Giro 2013, Firenze) so I think Mortirolo was a wise decision. Looking back I think he lost the Giro on Lago Serru, a combination of finding himself in the wrong place with the wrong companion on a not-so-good day.
Both Lago Serru and Courmayeur were tactically bad. And before the Carapazbestgetoveritcrew gets onto this, yeah he was the best those 2 days, but throwing away 50s to Majka who got rofldropped every other mountain stage means it was incredibly tactical. Courmayeur was just adding insult to injury and I don't know what Nibali was doing there.

Nibali was clearly on his worst day on Lago Serru, but he severely overestimated Roglic, and tbh the first signs of that were already there on the stage where Dumoulin crashed and Nibali lost additional time due to Pucchio.

TRENDING THREADS