• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Vincenzo Nibali discussion thread

Page 654 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The funny thing is, if two weeks ago you had told me Nibali is gonna enter the Alps in 5th place behind only Almeida, Kelderman, McNulty and Bilbao my reaction would have been, well easy win then. If Nibali's shape is there those guys should still really not be a problem (with the exception of Kelderman maybe, but even then it's just Kelderman), but at this point I fear the shape just isn't there.
Literally nothing makes sense anymore. The thing I sort of hang on to is that he hasn't had any good ITTs at Trek yet, but the sample size is really low. He's looked good and solid on all but one road stage.

The funny thing is, if two weeks ago you had told me Nibali is gonna enter the Alps in 5th place behind only Almeida, Kelderman, McNulty and Bilbao my reaction would have been, well easy win then. If Nibali's shape is there those guys should still really not be a problem (with the exception of Kelderman maybe, but even then it's just Kelderman), but at this point I fear the shape just isn't there.

It's 2016 all over again. Sadly there will be no Scarponi waiting for him.

• Sad
Reactions: Carols and Red Rick
Yeah, that's also how I see it. At least the weather is looking good at the start of the next week, so fingers crossed for the Stelvio stage. Wilco also isn't the greatest bike handler, so he could probably gain a lot of time on a descent.
If the race goes on as planned (fingers crossed) I can see Nibali, Birdsong and Pozzovivo attacking on stage 16.
Yes he might have allies on the attack.

It is known that Fuglsang likes his husbands.

Rachele might not be a fan.

I just don't see a reason to really think the shape isn't there yet when he's looked good on everything bar the one finish that really didn't suit him.

This weekend is about as clear a double header as it gets with a hard discipline split on TT vs big Mountain coming at peak fatigue before the rest day. Nibali and Birdsong both said that tomorrow is a consideration for today and I'm not going to worry until he gets dropped 5k out tomorrow :D

I just don't see a reason to really think the shape isn't there yet when he's looked good on everything bar the one finish that really didn't suit him.

This weekend is about as clear a double header as it gets with a hard discipline split on TT vs big Mountain coming at peak fatigue before the rest day. Nibali and Birdsong both said that tomorrow is a consideration for today
I wouldn't worry if he improved in the final part of the time trial, but he was just terrible. This doesn't sound like someone trying to measure his effort.

Reactions: Rollthedice
I wouldn't worry if he improved in the final part of the time trial, but he was just terrible. This doesn't sound like someone trying to measure his effort.
To be fair he improved a bit in the very last part with the slight downhill, if that counts at all... but yeah otherwise he always looked like he couldn't quite put down enough power.

Plus he looked cooked after crossing the line, more so than Wilco or Almeida. Doesn't bode well for tomorrow... which is not even a climb all that suited to him.

Don´t think he should attack tommorrow. Climb does not suit him and the stage isn´t difficult enough to make a big difference. Should just follow wheels and limit his loses. We will probably have to wait for the Stelvio.
It is fairly straightforward. Attack if you have legs and/or you sense weakness. Don't attack if you don't. I don't rate Kelderman as that great on Piancavallo either.

Reactions: Carols

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts