• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What bike/bikes are you riding?

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Just spent a few hours (bad at photoshop) customising the stock image of the bike I should have by the end of the year - Canyon Ultimate CF7.0 with Athena.
Already have the Rotor Aero Q-Rings, have to wait/save for the Canyon, Antares, Rotor 3G cranks and other red bits. Should have a proper photo to post in December :p

axmp89.png

At the moment I just have a crappy 3 year old black Allez :eek:

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Fiemme said:

The whole Brooks leather saddle retro thing leaves me completely cold--I rode leather saddles when they were the only choice, and the new saddles are lighter, 10 million times more comfortable, and last longer. Why subject your *** to that kind of punishment for some nebulous sense of retro-cool?

Other than that--beautiful bike. Steel, great lines, components, paint,etc. Really gorgeous.

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Wallace said:
The whole Brooks leather saddle retro thing leaves me completely cold--I rode leather saddles when they were the only choice, and the new saddles are lighter, 10 million times more comfortable, and last longer. Why subject your *** to that kind of punishment for some nebulous sense of retro-cool?

Other than that--beautiful bike. Steel, great lines, components, paint,etc. Really gorgeous.

I find the brooks quite comfortable. Did take a two weeks to break-in however. Its the leather bar tape thats the problem. Very unforgiving after an hour or so, will soon be replacing it with standard cork tape.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
RDV4ROUBAIX said:
Just got back from Valmont Bike Park. Rode my 1991 (year I graduated HS) Bontrager B-29.

Photo0533.jpg

RD, bro you are so pure. that bike just rules. and I wish I had the fortitude to save every bike I ever owned. mad respect to you

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
Boeing said:
RD, bro you are so pure. that bike just rules. and I wish I had the fortitude to save every bike I ever owned. mad respect to you

Thanks Boeing! It's a sweet ride but now you see why I can't go BIG on this bike, it's a relic and has only a 1" fork, if I bend it my only option would be to have one custom built. SuperCo Charger next year for sure.

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
whoa

luckyboy said:
Well the Canyons sold out, so I found something much better :D

25khmbl.jpg

Picking it up next week, and putting Athena on it.

so how many times does "Colnago" appear on the frame!? You could probably shed a bunch of grams by ditching all the decals..... but then, who'd know?

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
rickshaw said:
so how many times does "Colnago" appear on the frame!? You could probably shed a bunch of grams by ditching all the decals..... but then, who'd know?

Has COLNAGO ever been known for being subtle about their livery? My MasterXLight has 4 more 'COLNAGO' placements than that one, goodness gracious, it's really slowing me down!...pffft! :rolleyes:

Nice C40 luckyboy! Don't let the haters bring you down, you now own one of the most sought after frames ever COLNAGO ever produced.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Aero doesn't matter if you never get in the drops:p

Didn't know Reid had a Sydney outlet, they are good value for spec bikes, all chinese stuff but still OK, Did my Daughters track bike with a few bits I picked up from them Alex DA14 fixed for less than $100 can't be bad, they do a Full 105 Alloy bike for less than $900!

RDV4ROUBAIX said:
You know I won't give you hell cuz I ain't no fashion critic, but.... the question has to be asked, why are your bars pointing towards Jupiter? Was that the previous owners mistake?

it's brand new, and its a bit of an optical illusion due to camera angle - same with why the front wheel looks smaller than the rear.
the stem is angled upwards, but the bars are pretty much flat. they have put the hoods a little higher up the bars than they needed too though

Notso Swift said:
Aero doesn't matter if you never get in the drops:p

Didn't know Reid had a Sydney outlet, they are good value for spec bikes, all chinese stuff but still OK, Did my Daughters track bike with a few bits I picked up from them Alex DA14 fixed for less than $100 can't be bad, they do a Full 105 Alloy bike for less than $900!

I found them by accident - they're in newtown. the whole thing was just over $300. For a hack commuter that'll get knocked about and won't be much of an issue if it's hit by a car (better to have that happen with a $300 bike than a $5,000 bike!) it's fine.

I had to fix up a few bits when I picked it up. only minor stuff like aligning the rear brake pads properly and lining up the stem with the front wheel more accurately. The brakes feel a bit soft, but I reckon retensioning the cables and some better pads should fix that up.
Goes just fine, although gets a little shakey once over 40kmh (bombing down the pacific hwy), otherwise it's so far so good

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
2011-09-19_18-53-28_5.jpg

There I seared all your eyeballs and RD4 and busted fell over in their chairs...

This was a crash replacement frame after a collision in May from (gasp) an older 5200 that no longer lives.

I actually like the ride... I know, wtf?

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
richwagmn said:

There I seared all your eyeballs and RD4 and busted fell over in their chairs...

This was a crash replacement frame after a collision in May from (gasp) an older 5200 that no longer lives.

I actually like the ride... I know, wtf?

Hey man whatever you feel comfortable on. Having grown up in your neck of the woods I've gotten used to seeing WREK bikes every other rider. Did you get yours at Penn Cycle at least? Could you have posted a larger picture to make navigating this thread more annoying? ....:D

At least you're rolling a decent wheel set on that hunk of junk......:D

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
RDV4ROUBAIX said:
Hey man whatever you feel comfortable on. Having grown up in your neck of the woods I've gotten used to seeing WREK bikes every other rider. Did you get yours at Penn Cycle at least? Could you have posted a larger picture to make navigating this thread more annoying? ....:D

At least you're rolling a decent wheel set on that hunk of junk......:D

lol... Yep, local Penn Cycle. Always liked the manager there.

Maybe one day I'll get something better. My thing is I want to ride something before I buy it though. Hard to get to ride many of the "better" bikes you can get at any of the bike shops I know of. It's just too spendy to stock them.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
Archibald said:
I'm probably going to hell for this one, but just picked up a cheap commuter for life here in sydney.
(replaces the blue/yellow singlespeed posted earlier that's stayed in London)

dsc01110ksj.jpg

not from me fixies and ss rule and are keeping the lbs' in business btw

but you gotta lose the rear brake, invert the stem and drop the bars man. damn

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
RDV4ROUBAIX said:
Thanks Boeing! It's a sweet ride but now you see why I can't go BIG on this bike, it's a relic and has only a 1" fork, if I bend it my only option would be to have one custom built. SuperCo Charger next year for sure.

You gotta meet jimmy in Springs. he has the dirt on all the jumps and is the dude doing the max tail whip in the super co add. you might have seen his back yard in dirtrag a few months ago

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
Boeing said:
You gotta meet jimmy in Springs. he has the dirt on all the jumps and is the dude doing the max tail whip in the super co add. you might have seen his back yard in dirtrag a few months ago

Yeah I know Jimmy in the Springs, I go past his house once a week, not stalking or anything, for work. Went to the new park up in Frisco on Sunday, all I gotta say is... BIG! Even the intermediate line is BIG!. Rode with my homie JD last night till the sun went down. He go BIG!
37537_409868354875_705119875_4202457_7283021_n-1.jpg

Boeing said:
not from me fixies and ss rule and are keeping the lbs' in business btw

but you gotta lose the rear brake, invert the stem and drop the bars man. damn

I'm not game enough to flip the hub and ditch the rear brake (even if it would look far better) until I get the hang of sydney traffic (and hills - doing 50kmh downhill is far easier).

as for the bars, they're not as high as they look, but thanks to some solid spinal injuries I can't have them too low or I'm in a world of hurt

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
My mountain rig, in the misty Redwoods right near the Oregon/California border:

262885_10150757464155593_887540592_20108878_6577161_n.jpg

I've kept it stock, for the most part; I'm not exactly what one would call an "adept" when it comes to the whole mountain biking thing so no point in sinking tons of scratch into something that 1) ends up in the bushes more than I care to admit and 2) needs more "talent" than components. :D

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Parera said:
My mountain rig, in the misty Redwoods right near the Oregon/California border:

262885_10150757464155593_887540592_20108878_6577161_n.jpg

I've kept it stock, for the most part; I'm not exactly what one would call an "adept" when it comes to the whole mountain biking thing so no point in sinking tons of scratch into something that 1) ends up in the bushes more than I care to admit and 2) needs more "talent" than components. :D

What an outstanding place to ride.