• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who will win 2015 Milan - San Remo?

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win 2015 Milano - San Remo?

• Greg Van Avermaet

Votes: 10 4.8%
  • John Degenkolb

Votes: 15 7.2%
  • Mark Cavendish

Votes: 18 8.6%
  • Fabian Cancellara

Votes: 11 5.3%
  • Peter Sagan

Votes: 50 23.9%
  • Zdenek Stybar

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • Arnaud Demare

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • Juan Jose Lobato

Votes: 17 8.1%
  • Alexander Kristoff

Votes: 48 23.0%
  • Other ...

Votes: 31 14.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
Re: Re:

SafeBet said:
Sasquatch said:
Bonifazio thinks his chances are good
I'd say his teammate Cimolai has a much better chance.
I can't even remember a 21 year old rider winning Milano Sanremo. Maybe Merckx.

Yeah Bonifazio won't win it but he thinks he can give it a good shot. Cimolai is their better option as I doubt Bonifazio can last the distance.

Hugo Koblet said:
gustienordic said:
I'm thinking the time is ripe for Degenkolb this year. I don't know why, I'm just feeling it :eek:

The thing is, Degenkolb hasn't been sprinting that well this year. And beating Kristoff after 300 km's? Good luck (just take a look at last year's MSR or last year's Worlds). That said, Degenkolb is the second biggest favorite to win, especially since he climbs a lot better than Kristoff.
Didn't Degenkolb have a mechanical last years MSR?

I think he could have won that edition. Maybe this year no.

The Hitch said:
Hugo Koblet said:
gustienordic said:
I'm thinking the time is ripe for Degenkolb this year. I don't know why, I'm just feeling it :eek:

The thing is, Degenkolb hasn't been sprinting that well this year. And beating Kristoff after 300 km's? Good luck (just take a look at last year's MSR or last year's Worlds). That said, Degenkolb is the second biggest favorite to win, especially since he climbs a lot better than Kristoff.
Didn't Degenkolb have a mechanical last years MSR?

I think he could have won that edition. Maybe this year no.

Agreed.

Re:

samhocking said:
So you think Swift's 3rd with Sagan & Cavendish behind him was just luck? Obviously you can be lucky with positioning for a sprint, but I think he's got as good a chance as anyone in that type of sprint after the poggio. Same finish too.

That was a great result for him, and I'm sure it wasn't all down to luck. However, it's pretty much the biggest result he's had in his career, and I haven't seen anything to suggest that he can beat a field of all the best sprinters. Even last year he finished a long way behind Kristoff and was out-sprinted by Cancellara. So to win he would have to repeat the best performance of his career so far, but finish even more strongly.

It just seems a shame that guys with superb engines like Stannard and Thomas will probably chase down breaks all day and try to keep the race together for a guy who has a very small chance of winning.

Will be interesting to see what he can do this year. Last year it wasn't a target race and he was called up last minute, this time it's his first main goal of the season. He certainly seemed to have plenty of sprint left in him last year, just he was a little boxed in behind Cancellera.

DFA123 said:
samhocking said:
So you think Swift's 3rd with Sagan & Cavendish behind him was just luck? Obviously you can be lucky with positioning for a sprint, but I think he's got as good a chance as anyone in that type of sprint after the poggio. Same finish too.

That was a great result for him, and I'm sure it wasn't all down to luck. However, it's pretty much the biggest result he's had in his career, and I haven't seen anything to suggest that he can beat a field of all the best sprinters. Even last year he finished a long way behind Kristoff and was out-sprinted by Cancellara. So to win he would have to repeat the best performance of his career so far, but finish even more strongly.

It just seems a shame that guys with superb engines like Stannard and Thomas will probably chase down breaks all day and try to keep the race together for a guy who has a very small chance of winning.

Many teams will be supporting riders who most likely won't win the race. I don't think teams really think like that. They have faith in their leaders and support them to the best of their abilities. Truth is Swift has a greater chance of winning this race than Thomas or Stannard, so it makes sense that they would ride for him.

May 20, 2010
Visit site
What's wrong? To put in the poll Stybar and Demare and skip current world chapion? That's a brave move. I'm not saying that Kwiatkowski is going to win, but last time nobody spoke a word about him, he delivered fantastic ride for the rainbow jersey. He is devil on a descents, timetrials above the average and got the cyclign nose. Showed a good form in France. He got problems with finishing this race in the past, but still... Demare?!

Re:

Flamin said:
Also Roelandts will get his own chance instead of looking after Greipel.
Sounds like they're just going to see how it plays out. Anyway, they have a strong team and a few different options:

Frison:

"We have several opportunities. Wellens or Vanendert can escape. Greipel is our man for the sprint, but also Roelandts and Gallopin aren’t slow. Boeckmans is in top condition. The signs are positive for us."

jaylew said:
Sounds like they're just going to see how it plays out. Anyway, they have a strong team and a few different options:

Frison:

"We have several opportunities. Wellens or Vanendert can escape. Greipel is our man for the sprint, but also Roelandts and Gallopin aren’t slow. Boeckmans is in top condition. The signs are positive for us."

Yes, they're probably just going to wait and wait, which would be classic Lotto.