• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Wiggins, Clinic respect?

Page 30 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
The Winning mentality does not think like that. If they did no one would've entered the TdF between 99 - 05 because they all knew it was a forgone conclusion.

Imagine LeMond, Fignon, Hinault, Indurain etc etc all saying, won the TdF once, just leave it now!

BS.

What are you on about?

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
The Winning mentality does not think like that. If they did no one would've entered the TdF between 99 - 05 because they all knew it was a forgone conclusion.

Imagine LeMond, Fignon, Hinault, Indurain etc etc all saying, won the TdF once, just leave it now!

BS.

Unless of course
1. the risk in 2013 is just too high to achieve like it was done in 2012 with the vital on/off road support crew largely having left the team
2. all one needs to do to retain brand equity and money making ability is to win something else that Froome hasn't set his mind on (ideally a GT less hilly with fewer top competitors or less downside risk)
3. it's all just getting too hard and time has come to milk the golden goose

The 'big picture' is there is more than one race on the
calendar, and most of the other races have their own
storied histories....and anyone who cares about the
sport of cycling should understand that it needs stars
and champions that are passionate about more than
the Tour de France, like in the pre-Lance era, for the
sport to thrive and survive. However, many of the
former Lance groupies don't appreciate any race
except the Tour de France.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
oldcrank said:
The 'big picture' is there is more than one race on the
calendar, and most of the other races have their own
storied histories....and anyone who cares about the
sport of cycling should understand that it needs stars
and champions that are passionate about more than
the Tour de France, like in the pre-Lance era, for the
sport to thrive and survive. However, many of the
former Lance groupies don't appreciate any race
except the Tour de France.

Yeah. Hinault barely gave a damn about the TdF :rolleyes:

No in the pre epo era riders raced a lot for money/race training and they didn't go off to organise their Blood bags aka training pre GTs.

mastersracer

BANNED
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
Yeah. Hinault barely gave a damn about the TdF :rolleyes:

No in the pre epo era riders raced a lot for money/race training and they didn't go off to organise their Blood bags aka training pre GTs.

Actually, Greg Lemond was among the first to try change this model - he wanted to adopt the race/training preparation structure of marathon running (race less, train more) to focus on the Tour with a single-season peak, but team/sponsorship did not allow him to do so. If Lemond were racing today, the Wiggins model is the one he'd utilize.

As for Wiggins' decision re the Giro, I think it merely illustrates that he has enough insight into his own race weaknesses to know that he would not win this year's Tour, particularly with Contador in it and Froome challenging for team leadership.

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
mastersracer said:
Actually, Greg Lemond was among the first to try change this model - he wanted to adopt the race/training preparation structure of marathon running (race less, train more) to focus on the Tour with a single-season peak, but team/sponsorship did not allow him to do so. If Lemond were racing today, the Wiggins model is the one he'd utilize.
You are such a bad liar man, please, even Tim Kerrison laughs at this.

Apologist.

mastersracer

BANNED
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Fearless Greg Lemond said:
You are such a bad liar man, please, even Tim Kerrison laughs at this.

Apologist.

1. Re Lemond, what I said is 100% accurate.
2. Re Wiggins, his race/training schedule has shifted for the Giro - this is exactly around the training concept of a peak, a target weight, etc.

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
cineteq said:
Translation please? :confused:

“I’ve committed to a completely different program this year, whereas last year it was about gaining confidence through the year that I could actually win the Tour de France,” Wiggins said. “Now, it’s much more looking at the bigger picture, which is the Giro for me, and working back from that.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2013...-2013-but-the-same-old-bradley-wiggins_274934

I'll have a crack: last season was all about the TdF. P-N, Romandie and the Dauphine was about both physical and mental preperation for the Tour. Honing the tactics of the team but also getting Wiggins in yellow and then defending it, so by the time he was at the Tour he and the team knew what to expect.

This year he can be much more relaxed, entering races without the pressure to win them all, Froome is on that programme now, and Wiggins can focus on the Tour.

Or what Tinman said

What is the Wiggins method, pray tell? This isn't a guy like Lance perfecting the art of building a race (ok, and doping) program up around few race days and more time training to a single season peak, over several years. It's not a guy like Evans or Valverde racing to win every race they enter every year either.

Wiggins 2009: a bit of early season racing (Qatar and the Tour Med), DNF Paris-Nice, a handful of one-day Classics and short stage races (de Panne, Critérium International before the Corsica days), then the Giro, before resting up for the Tour. After that, a couple of weeks' rest before the Eneco Tour, the waving to the crowds in the Tour of Britain, the Worlds and then winning the Jayco Herald Sun Tour. Seems a pretty intensive racing program.
Wiggins 2010: Now with the pressure of leading a team, Wiggins elects for early season stage racing (Qatar) but instead of doing those northern Classics and flatter stage races, prefers to go for hillier ones (Ruta del Sol, Murcía, País Vasco). None of these are raced to win and no results are banked. Targets Giro prologue but does not intend to compete in the GC - indeed is pretty much an irrelevance even after being in the break to L'Aquila, and apart from an exploration on Monte Grappa that is roundly ignored by the heads of state you'd be forgiven for forgetting he was in the race once he lost the maglia rosa to Evans after a day. Turns up to the Tour and underperforms, cites having done too much racing, takes a month off, then does a few one-day races and the Tour of Britain, which he had to be cajoled into by the team.
Wiggins 2011: fresh from the failure of the 2010 season, the calendar is revamped significantly. 2010's failure had been to do a lot of race days without attempting to bank results and test oneself, so that when the Tour went wrong there was no fall-back option. In 2011 he starts in Qatar as usual, then rectifies this problem with an assist from a chronically awful Paris-Nice route that heavily favours the time triallist. He then returns to those northern Classics and short stage races like de Panne that he did in his more successful year, before riding Romandie with no aims and then taking a month off until Bayern and hitting his stride with victory in the Dauphiné. He seemed to be in good form at the Tour but we'll never know since he crashed out and the lopsided route meant we never really saw him attempt a climb in anger in the race. Bounces back from injury by finishing on the podium of the Vuelta.
Wiggins 2012: fed up of that flat race, one-day race and trying to target races to peak at BS, Wiggins arrives at a new raceplan: tweak the previous year's calendar, and win everything with ease. Qatar is replaced with the hillier Algarve, which Wiggins would win if his teammate didn't. Paris-Nice remains, the flatter races are replaced with Catalunya then another month off staying away from those nasty, hard to control one-day races where the risk of crashes may be greater because it's harder to keep the protective shell of domestiques around. Romandie, then another month off. Then the Dauphiné, then another month off. Then the Tour, Olympics, and anything else is a lap of honour.
Wiggins 2013: goes from peak for everything, to reducing the race days drastically.

There's no real, clear, obvious pattern of low race days for a single peak with Wiggins. His calendar is not as clearly predictable - health permitting - as, say, Andy Schleck.

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
mastersracer said:
2. Re Wiggins, his race/training schedule has shifted for the Giro - this is exactly around the training concept of a peak, a target weight, etc.
You are full of it, incredible.

Not even gonna rebut on LeMond cause he is your main target but Wiggins 12 kiloos overweight at the off season? Laughing my @rse of. And you buy this stuff?

Get outta here, best to ignore I guess.

mastersracer said:

Training, lagers, few ciggies, an award show, training block, out the back of first race of season, more training, peak for Giro.

Cool!

SundayRider said:
Couldn't have put it better myself. If 'I want to race the Giro as they don't talk about doping' doesn't sound suspicious then I don't know what does.

LOL he really said that. This guy clearly has Alzheimer's disease.

We are already seeing the effects of no Leinders. Must be hoping the new Doctor has learn't everything by the time he heads to Tenerife.

Benotti69 said:
What kind of a w**ker is Wiggins?

He wins pretty much everything he wanted last year and made it look easy! This year he doesn't want to do it again? Bollix. He cant, no Leinders!

He wants to race the Giro because they dont talk about doping in Italy? Bollix with all the coverage of Mantova, Cipo, Basso etc etc the Italians dont talk about doping!

Wiggins stop smoking that ***!

SundayRider said:
Couldn't have put it better myself. If 'I want to race the Giro as they don't talk about doping' doesn't sound suspicious then I don't know what does.

Wiggo should hire a PR consultant to monitor his statements, because he is just breaking records on self-compromising/incriminating......

I mean - the 82-75-70 "weigh shed Schedule" is just ridiculous- At least Contador speaks of 5 kilos max during the off season & currently 2.5 to shed off.......

cadelcrybaby

BANNED
Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
the asian said:
We are already seeing the effects of no Leinders. Must be hoping the new Doctor has learn't everything by the time he heads to Tenerife.

And what effects would those be, then?

Wiggins coming a lowly 126th in the Tour of Oman, or Froome winning it??

May 26, 2010
Visit site
mastersracer said:

As for Wiggins' decision re the Giro, I think it merely illustrates that he has enough insight into his own race weaknesses to know that he would not win this year's Tour, particularly with Contador in it and Froome challenging for team leadership.

' his own race weaknesses ' Before 2009 every road race was a weakness!

Didn't stop him doing the TdF and Giro's before or since.

mastersracer

BANNED
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Fearless Greg Lemond said:
You are full of it, incredible.

Not even gonna rebut on LeMond cause he is your main target but Wiggins 12 kiloos overweight at the off season? Laughing my @rse of. And you buy this stuff?

Get outta here, best to ignore I guess.

There's nothing to rebut on Lemond. I have no idea why Wiggins' statements about his weight have any bearing on this issue. First off, he is likely exaggerating the amount he gained, despite his crash, which impacted his offseason. He said in January that he was ahead of last year's fitness, so it's unlikely that he gained as much as he said. He certainly doesn't appear in pics to have. Besides, if it were true, it would just reinforce the train more/race less strategy he outlined, so he could lose the weight in a controlled environment. Did you have a point (other to insult me?)?

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
SundayRider said:
He certainly didn't look 82Kg this off season.

I'm not sure he looks like he's '5kg overweight' now either. You just can't believe a word a pro cyclist says about their weight IMO, it's all part of playing mind tricks with your opponents, excusing being knackered, or generally not being arsed to repeat last years intensity, dope or no dope.

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
How is it even possible for an athlete to gain 12Kg in such a short space of time. It's obviously not muscle weight as that would be totally pointless just to lose it. If he gained that much weight in fat - he would have a big 'beer belly' shape to him.

martinvickers

BANNED
Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Winterfold said:
I'm not sure he looks like he's '5kg overweight' now either. You just can't believe a word a pro cyclist says about their weight IMO, it's all part of playing mind tricks with your opponents, excusing being knackered, or generally not being arsed to repeat last years intensity, dope or no dope.

I think you've probably stumbled on the likeliest truth there - it's neither gospel truth nor doping red flag, it's just the normal Wiggo bullsh!t kidology. He may dope, he may not, don't know. but this latest rant about his weight is just Wiggins spinning for fun, as per normal. sometimes I think he just likes talking crap to wind people up - fans, bosses, rivals - i think he enjoys it.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
martinvickers said:
I think you've probably stumbled on the likeliest truth there - it's neither gospel truth nor doping red flag, it's just the normal Wiggo bullsh!t kidology. He may dope, he may not, don't know. but this latest rant about his weight is just Wiggins spinning for fun, as per normal. sometimes I think he just likes talking crap to wind people up - fans, bosses, rivals - i think he enjoys it.

I did consider this too - up until his meltdown about people on twitter especially as he was the one to introduce the UK postal angle.
I doubt he enjoys it anymore.

TRENDING THREADS