• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Wiggins Discussion thread.

Page 200 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
Maaaaaaaarten said:
Hopefully he will keep on targeting Paris-Roubaix and the hour record.

Tour De France, TT world champ, Paris-Nice, Dauphine, Romandie, very successful track career, hopefully the hour record and Paris-Roubaix.... It's like the palmares from one of the greats of a few decades ago. :cool:

I've already lost my dislike for Wiggins some time ago, but I'm even slowly starting to like him. :eek:

I liked the guy in 2009 TdF, but disliked him in the Sky GT days. After the Giro 2013 he looked like past it, but he totally became likable after growing beard and riding this year's Paris-Roubaix and now this, I appreciate him and wish him the best with his ambitions.

It seems that he quickly gets bored after achieving a goal and repeating the feat holds not enough value to motivate him :)

webvan said:
Another amazing feat, PR would definitely be the icing on the cake! Such a waste that the clowns at Sky couldn't find him a spot to ride a GT this year though, oh well, their loss I suppose.

Not really. It's likely that he used that as motivation and the extra training time to give him the legs he had today. Sky wouldn't have won a GT this year with Brad in the line up. But they probably wouldn't have a world champ on their hands if they had done.

webvan said:
Winning a GT this year, probably not, but we'll never know, snubbing him for both the TDF and Vuelta that Wiggo said he was game for was shameful behavior anyway you look at. Has ratface DB coughed up a comment about Wiggo's smashing victory today?

“It’s one of the best executed time trial rides I have ever seen and it was a fitting way for Brad to get that title.”
“He is one of the greats,” Brailsford added. “He is iconic now in the world of British sport and I think he can still go on from here. He has still got ambitions for Rio, Paris-Roubaix and for the hour record.
“He is hungry and still wants to keep adding to what is already an incredible roster of titles.”

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
Great ride. Happy for Sir Wiggo.
He found a lot of motivation and confidence after his defeat at the Giro 2013 ( he wasn't in horrible form then - 6 th in the first mountain finish - , just totally unconfident and unable to descend).

It's still incredible that Sky didn't want him to ride the Tour. He would have done as good as Tony Martin in the TT and I'm sure he could have climbed with the likes of T.J Van Garderen. Perfect replacement for Froome. Anything between 2nd and 6th was possible.

Horrible management. You don't treat a champion like that. Brailsford should have made it clear that they can fist fight after the Tour if they want to , but ride like best mates during the Tour because they f***ing pay them.

It was a great ride by Wiggo yesterday, I'm really pleased for him and I wonder if he can have a go for Paris-Roubaix. I wonder if Sky will sign any supporting cobbles domestiques to help?

The is with Wiggo and Froome there was only ever going to be 1 of them going on the team, Wiggo basically announced this on BBC breakfast tv, I think that was against DB's orders.

I think Wiggo saved himself some humiliation for the tour that day, I think Nibali and the French riders would have smashed him to pieces in the mountains.

MellowJohnny said:
It was a great ride by Wiggo yesterday, I'm really pleased for him and I wonder if he can have a go for Paris-Roubaix. I wonder if Sky will sign any supporting cobbles domestiques to help?

The is with Wiggo and Froome there was only ever going to be 1 of them going on the team, Wiggo basically announced this on BBC breakfast tv, I think that was against DB's orders.

I think Wiggo saved himself some humiliation for the tour that day, I think Nibali and the French riders would have smashed him to pieces in the mountains.

Cobbles support riders?
Stannard
Thomas
Eisel

plus some minor guys. More than enough imo.

MellowJohnny said:

Good post.

MellowJohnny said:

There's no way he'd have been smashed to pieces on the mountains if he'd have had full knowledge of going and the appropriate prep work. He could have easily stayed with Nibali as he's got no final kick like Wiggins, just diesels his way to the finish.

I still think he had the gas to win PR, just that he lacked the confidence to go with Terpstra, or even go himself, that would have been pretty amazing to see!

He's been shamefully treated by Team Sky hence the return to track I guess, I'll miss him as a rider and character.

elfed68 said:
There's no way he'd have been smashed to pieces on the mountains if he'd have had full knowledge of going and the appropriate prep work. He could have easily stayed with Nibali as he's got no final kick like Wiggins, just diesels his way to the finish.

I still think he had the gas to win PR, just that he lacked the confidence to go with Terpstra, or even go himself, that would have been pretty amazing to see!

He's been shamefully treated by Team Sky hence the return to track I guess, I'll miss him as a rider and character.

Sky would have been all focused on Froome, they would have used Wiggins on the front of the pack to drive the train to the mountains (as they did with Knees and EBH in years previous) - Wiggins can climb with the best but only when he has Froome, Rogers and Porte dragging him up the climbs. - I think Nibali at least would have dance'd away from him.

Yes he has the gas to win a classic and I hope he does, Sky do not have the tactical knowledge though, Thomas, Eisel and Stannard sounds good until you start comparing them to some of the other teams.

I do love Wiggo - but I think at times he can be his own worst enemy, - He will do well whether he goes as long as he gets the support, which in my opinion he deserves because he can do some great things on the bike.

I think he will do track with Sky, its his only option, I don't think he will do a lot of road cycling but if he did he should move to a greenedge type team.

Jul 25, 2014
Visit site
I have a love hate thing with Wiggo but that win was definitely in the love category, I thought he was absolutely magnificent and a fitting end to his career. I wouldn't be surprised if all the I missed the TDF and was angry etc was all a smokescreen and this rainbow jersey was his primary goal all year.

Top man sir brad from a fellow Londoner, I hope he smashes the absolute granny out the hour record in 2015. He has the brains, technique to do so but the rest I will leave to my usual home in the clinic one day in the future!

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
willbick said:
'wide skill set' lol. he can put out 400w for a long time. that is his skill. nothing else. which is not to say it isnt a good skill, and its certainly one more high-level skill than most riders have. in many ways he's like a tennis player with a big serve and not a lot else. the Roddick of cycling lol

Sagan is a bike rider. Wiggins is a diesel engine on 2 wheels. i like the guy, but he is what he is

Think this description would be better posted in a Tony Martin thread! Don't get me wrong - I like Tony, but this week we saw finesse overcome brute force, a classy performance by Wiggins and his palmares says it all

elfed68 said:

Could Wiggins have won the Tour this year? Was climbing well in the ToC beforehand, albeit against 2nd tier climbers, without much support. He smashed the TT there too. Proved he can handle the cobbles too. Wonder if Brailsford regrets not taking him.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
dastott said:
Could Wiggins have won the Tour this year? Was climbing well in the ToC beforehand, albeit against 2nd tier climbers, without much support. He smashed the TT there too. Proved he can handle the cobbles too. Wonder if Brailsford regrets not taking him.
no chance,maybe a 2nd place but no more imo.

ILovecycling said:
no chance,maybe a 2nd place but no more imo.

Nibali was as strong a rider two years ago with Cannondale (and no support) against Wiggins.

Nibali and Astana were in command of the GC throughout this years tour, he would have smashed Wiggins imo, - The French would have likely combined against Wiggins also, so I think a top 10 would have been more realistic. Not sure Bradley would have liked that and may well have thrown his toys (or bike) out of the pram as he did at the Giro.

Its a bit like saying Jurgen Van Den Broeck who have won it also.

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
MellowJohnny said:
Nibali was as strong a rider two years ago with Cannondale (and no support) against Wiggins.

Nibali and Astana were in command of the GC throughout this years tour, he would have smashed Wiggins imo, - The French would have likely combined against Wiggins also, so I think a top 10 would have been more realistic. Not sure Bradley would have liked that and may well have thrown his toys (or bike) out of the pram as he did at the Giro.

Its a bit like saying Jurgen Van Den Broeck who have won it also.

I don't think for one second Wiggins could have beaten Nibali this year but I don't get the comparison with a rider who has never won a single race in his whole career.

TRENDING THREADS