• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

World Politics

Page 311 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anonymous

Hugh Januss said:
The only businesses that are suffering in America are genuine small business brick and mortar companies. Big corporations by and large are doing fine because they have learned how to eliminate the waste of actually having to pay a living wage, or even their share of taxes, everything that you purport to be for in the interest of business really only benefits the big corporations, who are in my opinion selling out America.

My second point is indeed a generalization as it is only true of all big corporations.

The only businesses that are suffering in America are genuine small business brick and mortar companies.

Which as a group provide the vast majority of jobs in this country and are the one most affected by things like shifting tax policy, burdensome regulations (Obamacare for example), huge energy costs, tight lending, etc., which is why this;

everything that you purport to be for in the interest of business really only benefits the big corporations

is rubbish.

A

Anonymous

Alpe d'Huez said:
Scott - If you had a seat in the US House, would you have voted yes or no on the House Budget Plan (Ryan bill)?

Don't know. I have not read it. Let me get back to you on that one.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Cobblestones said:
Like the birth certificate ever mattered. Obama is still black which is the one and only reason those crazies go after him.

LMAO @ the only reason they went after him part.

The President is to be respected without a doubt. That is because the OFFICE is much larger than the man himself.

Good luck with that race slant.

May 23, 2010
Visit site
glenn_wilson said:
lmao @ the only reason they went after him part.

The president is to be respected without a doubt. That is because the office is much larger than the man himself.

100% true.......................................................

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Hugh Januss said:
The only businesses that are suffering in America are genuine small business brick and mortar companies. Big corporations by and large are doing fine because they have learned how to eliminate the waste of actually having to pay a living wage, or even their share of taxes, everything that you purport to be for in the interest of business really only benefits the big corporations, who are in my opinion selling out America.

My second point is indeed a generalization as it is only true of all big corporations.

maybe just maybe they should rework the corp...tax law! After Japan lowers their corporate tax rates this year we will be the highest. How about we fix the tax rates and close the loopholes. Just a start.

Before all you guys (Left nutters and Right nutters) go into a half wit meltdown ....I am in favor of increased individual taxes. Go figure.... maybe even take them back to the 80's rates.

May 23, 2010
Visit site
Glenn_Wilson said:
maybe just maybe they should rework the corp...tax law! After Japan lowers their corporate tax rates this year we will be the highest. How about we fix the tax rates and close the loopholes. Just a start.

Before all you guys (Left nutters and Right nutters) go into a half wit meltdown ....I am in favor of increased individual taxes. Go figure.... maybe even take them back to the 80's rates.

How do you raise taxes from ZERO? So many entities and individuals complain about taxes but they cheat more than they pay.

A

Anonymous

redtreviso said:
maybe you're not one of the 400..lol.. Just their poodle

Oh I duuno, perhaps the top marginal tax rate does not effect the top 400 wage earners??

Whaddya think, Klink?

A

Anonymous

redtreviso said:
denial is a river in egypt

denial of what?

When your kind get frustrated your kind throws down the race card 100 out of 100 times.

May 23, 2010
Visit site
Republican

""Dillon Pearce wasn’t trying to run down a group of ducklings – he was actually trying to help rescue them as they dodged cars in a busy Ann Arbor McDonald’s parking lot, his attorney said this afternoon.

The ducklings -- the mother duck and four to eight other ducklings -- were nesting under a bush at a McDonald's restaurant on Plymouth Road, wandering in and out of the parking lot, Jatczak said. A passenger in Pearce's Hummer tried to pick up a duckling at about 6:15 p.m. Monday “and the employees yelled at them to leave them alone," Jatczak said.

The Hummer then went through the drive-thru and was parked in an adjacent lot as Pearce and his two passengers ate their food, police said.

Nacht said Pearce, a college student who is actively pursing a professional hockey career, and his friends drove back into the McDonald’s parking lot to buy more food. Police allege Pearce intentionally ran over and killed four ducklings on their second trip through.

Employees called police, who found the Hummer and Pearce at a nearby gas station. He was arrested after being questioned about the incident, Jatczak said.""

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Scott SoCal said:
Question? Which is worse... the briber or the bribee?
Obviously if the briber is on your side, then they are in a righteous fight for righteousness, and when the bribee is on your side they are in a righteous fight for righteousness.

What are you man, an imbecile? Rules don't apply to those convinced of their righteousness.

Glenn_Wilson said:
LMAO @ the only reason they went after him part.

The President is to be respected without a doubt. That is because the OFFICE is much larger than the man himself.

Wait, flashback to about 16 centuries ago.

In the portraiture of the late Roman Emperors there is a tendency toward abstraction, stylization and assimilation, which tends to produce the effect of a sacred icon. Emphasis was thus visually and conceptually placed upon the sacred nature of the office, and not the individual emperor or emperors who held it.

Now I'm not say that this is indicative of anything...but when one talks about "the OFFICE being larger than the man" that air of higher dimension sounds all too familiar.

However I wouldn't want this to mean that no matter who the man is, it's the president and that's it, so he's to be respected. Sounds too sovereign for my tastes in a healthy democracy. And I certainly didn't feel that way when Bush was in office for two terms, as I found there wasn't anything in the man I could respect.

I think one must earn our respect and that the presidency isn't above such individual responsibility. And that, in complete opposition with your line of thought, the dignity of the office is given to it precisely by the person who occupies it on a constantly updated basis. Otherwise the individual can use the office as an alibi to disregard many things, such as potentially the law, which every citizen is to be held accountable and judged in regards to the worthiness or lack there of of their actions and comportments. To me, this is what democracy signifies.

If anything, because the democratic leader has been given the privilege of power not by the office itself, which would be aristocratic, but because of a popular suffrage, all the more must he be scrutinized and held accountable for his behavior. If such behavior makes a breech in the decorum of being a democratic leader, then the citizens not only have the right not to respect him, but to actively seek his political downfall.

Unfortunately this rarely happens and, when it does, usually for the wrong reasons, because not caused by the popular sentiment, but by dint of a privileged and powerful oligarchy of lobbyists and plutocrats.

May 23, 2010
Visit site
60% of all the stuff we import from China is made by AMERICAN CORPORATIONS.

I wonder if it was 80% if there would be anyone in america left that could buy anything.

Back in 1981 Milton Freidman, Art Laffer and David Stockman all said that if we cut taxes for the wealthy the economy would grow so much it would easily pay for the cuts "I guarantee it" Laffer said. Taxes were cut, and we ended up tripling the national debt during Reagan's terms. Wages remained flat.

When Clinton raised the taxes on the highest bracket not a single Republican voted for it, and many loudly said it would kill the economy. You know what happened after that.

Bush cut taxes for everyone, but since the wealthy have so much more money than the rest of us, they got more. His administration and the GOP at the time fought hard for less regulation as well. His argument was that it would spur growth. I don't need to tell you what happened. But I will remind you that wages remained flat here as well. Actually, they've been flat for 30 years now.

The same thing happened over a century ago with the gilded age with the Robber Barons. Same leading into the Great Depression. Only the numbers are much greater now than they were then.

Even Ben Bernacke doesn't deny that we now have a greater split in the classes than ever before in our nation's history. Greater than the gilded age, greater than the 1930's. As posted before, the bottom 40% of income earners control .039% of the nations wealth, while the top 400 citizens (the top .0000013% now have more money than the entire bottom 50%, or 150,000,000 combined, with roughly 15% of the nation now living in poverty.

At the rate we are going these numbers are going to increase. There is zero indication at all they are going to reverse, none. I'm waiting for a conservative to admit this is actually the country they want to live in. One where the top .001% are living in extreme luxury with more money than they could ever possibly spend, while the bottom 20, 30, 40% live in penury.

You might think these people would open a history book at one point, as several thousand years have told us that when all of the wealth is concentrated at the very top, governing elites have repeatedly isolated and deluded themselves until it was too late, and change was rapid, and violent.

Scott - I'm still waiting for you to tell me how you would have voted on the US House budget bill that recently passed. Yes or no.

Status
Not open for further replies.