• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Your local weather

Page 62 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Well, the local forecast actually proved correct - yesterday we had freezing rain all day and today Eugene is covered in white ice. It looks like snow, but when you step on it it won't even budge. And it's about 20F, so this white stuff isn't going anywhere. (Glad I don't have to be somewhere today, hope the rest of our fine citizens have the good sense to not travel needlessly also.)

Reactions: Nomad and jmdirt
My furnace has been running non stop since Friday afternoon just to maintain 65 degrees in my house due to the single digits outside. We've gotten about a foot of snow since Friday as well (none of this is 2000s Boise normal). The temps are warm compared to my Mom's house in Missoula where they haven't even made it above zero for several days, and have had lows around 20 below zero.

• Wow
Reactions: Tricycle Rider
My furnace has been running non stop since Friday afternoon just to maintain 65 degrees in my house due to the single digits outside. We've gotten about a foot of snow since Friday as well (none of this is 2000s Boise normal). The temps are warm compared to my Mom's house in Missoula where they haven't even made it above zero for several days, and have had lows around 20 below zero.
Brrrrrr... wouldn't want to be in Missoula right now!

Here's a pic of our backyard for the past few days - do not be fooled by the white stuff, it's not snow, it's solid ice! Even the dog doesn't want to go outside for a pee even though I shoveled a little path for him...

We're supposed to get more freezing rain today, so despite the precipitation there will be no proper material to build a snowman with. :cry:

Reactions: jmdirt
First day in the Denver-metro since last Sat that we've seen above freezing temps & bright sunshine! For three days straight it was single digit highs & below 0 lows (-13 one night). Frequent running of the furnace & space heaters just to keep the house in the low 60's. One busted pipe that my son & I had to fix. Lol

I lived here all my life so it's not unusual to get a night or two of sub-zero temps every 4th or 5th winter or so, but not  three nights in a row in the same season. Besides, we already had a shorter artic blast back in the November which set record lows. So, it's very unusual to get two of these weather anomalies in one season. I hope there isn't a third one!

Last edited:
Where is the middle finger emoji when I need it? ;)
We bought a propane heater at Costco last year. We did use it for almost a week last year, we have used it for 3 or 4 days in January this year!! I have a new set of neoprene toe covers that make winter cycling better, I have not used them yet. I also have been bringing my gloves w me in case I need them, you know if it gets chilly enough for gloves.. figured I write that since you can't find the flip off emoji!!!

And just like that the arctic blast has been replaced by a warm wind in my area, it's supposed to be 50F later today. The ice is already melting because it's currently 40F... it's still dangerous out there though because now you can hear all the thick sheets of ice on people's roofs and tree branches come crashing down, still don't want to be out there for now. (Yesterday I suffered a bit of cabin fever and started chiseling my car out of the ice, even with the engine running and the car warm it took me 45 mins to get the job done!)

• Wow
Reactions: jmdirt
And just like that the arctic blast has been replaced by a warm wind in my area, it's supposed to be 50F later today. The ice is already melting because it's currently 40F... it's still dangerous out there though because now you can hear all the thick sheets of ice on people's roofs and tree branches come crashing down, still don't want to be out there for now. (Yesterday I suffered a bit of cabin fever and started chiseling my car out of the ice, even with the engine running and the car warm it took me 45 mins to get the job done!)
Its 9 degrees this morning, but the temps are supposed to go up all day until the high around 35 degrees at 5 PM. Its snowing now, but is supposed to change to freezing rain around 4 PM. While it will finally be warmer, it is going to be a dangerous mess for a few days.

• Sad
Absolutely beautiful!
We had bit more snow during the night/early morning (nothing like last time), and then for the rest of the day - well, rest of the day until now, I can't tell you what the weather is gonna be like for the rest of the rest of the day. Though, it looks good - it's just been clear blue skies, with a few clouds, and temperatures at around freezing.

I can't wait for the future when heated pavement becomes standard.

Wow, this sounds fantastic! (Unfortunately here in the US we don't take care of our ageing roads and bridges enough as it is, this snowmelt system stuff built on a large, public area scale sounds much too modern and fancy. )

Last edited:
Reactions: SHAD0W93 and jmdirt