• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2022 Tour of Norway, 2.Pro - 24th to 29th May

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win the 2022 Tour of Norway?

• Remco Evenepoel

Votes: 41 70.7%
  • Tobias Halland Johannesen

Votes: 6 10.3%
  • Carl Fredrik Hagen

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tao Geoghen Hart

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ethan Hayter

Votes: 6 10.3%
  • Esteban Chaves

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Gianluca Brambilla

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Cian Uitjdebroeks

• Other rider

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Definitely looked like Johannesen could have challenged had he been better positioned. I noticed he was poorly positioned for the whole last kilometer so could just be because his legs were hurting though.
Nothing comes for free. Evenepoel was in 1st, 2nd or 3rd place almost the entire last kilometer. If others were strong enough, they were free to do the same, and they would have been in the best position for the sprint.

Had it been a 1v1 sprint 200 m drag race, i'm sure Johannessen could (would) beat him. But there was a 2k climb before that and other riders to keep an eye on.

Reactions: Prim
Nothing comes for free. Evenepoel was in 1st, 2nd or 3rd place almost the entire last kilometer. If others were strong enough, they were free to do the same, and they would have been in the best position for the sprint.

Had it been a 1v1 sprint 200 m drag race, i'm sure Johannessen could (would) beat him. But there was a 2k climb before that and other riders to keep an eye on.
Sure. It’s not surprising that Evenepoel is a level above everyone else in this race. Impressive kick from Johannesen nonetheless who came from way back and had to go around Plapp

There's a full km at 13% about a third into that climb tomorrow.

This stage just begs for an Evenepoel 80km solo.
...no there isn't?
MabodalenW.gif

Last 60k tomorrow is on a a plateau above the tree line and really exposed to wind - excellent territory for the kind of echelons which saw Barguil crash in the 2018 Arctic Tour. Sadly only a slight breeze forecast for tomorrow, but only 1 to 5 celcius forecast for this section. A day which can be made really hard by the big WT-teams which should be able to sustain the advantage if they go so hard on the Vøringfossen/Måbødalen-climb that they drop the fastmen.

It's funny how when Evenepoel wins, other people are rarely trying that hard. I mean, it's just the Tour of Norway, so why bother trying to win when you put out all the effort to stay with the front group? ;)

Right, I was going to say the same thing. Yeah, it's a "*** little race", but there's still a hundred other guys, professional cyclists all of them, who'd like to win too. Nice win.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Stybar DNS (feeling unwell)

Remco still has a strong team for the flat but whenever the road goes uphill, his support will be very limited or non-existent. Then again, only Ineos seems to have enough strength to try and exploit this.
It's quite an appaling team tbh, for this parcours. Not even Devenyns, Vervaeke or Honoré. Any of those would have been an asset.

It's quite an appaling team tbh, for this parcours. Not even Devenyns, Vervaeke or Honoré. Any of those would have been an asset.
A bit surprising that Honore is not there as you would expect him to want to be riding in a race relatively close to his home country and with parcours that fit him quite well. Devenyns is almost surgically attached to Alaphillipe so not to surprising he isn't there.

I think Evenepoel will have a hard time Thursday. He has never proven (yet) that he can follow the best in a tough mountain stage. Even if "the best" in this Tour of Norway are not "the best" of the actual top GT-riders.

Moreover, the expected very low temperatures are certainly not in his favour. If he still wins that stage or if he is the best of the competitors for the overall victory, he will have taken a big step

I think Evenepoel will have a hard time Thursday. He has never proven (yet) that he can follow the best in a tough mountain stage. Even if "the best" in this Tour of Norway are not "the best" of the actual top GT-riders.

Moreover, the expected very low temperatures are certainly not in his favour. If he still wins that stage or if he is the best of the competitors for the overall victory, he will have taken a big step
You think there are many riders present in Norway who would finish closer than 90 seconds to Bernal on Zoncolan? Or riders who would win on Picon Blanco? It's a 12k 8% climb against Johannessen, Hart, Uijtdebroeks, Prades and the likes. Not Angliru against Pogacar, Roglic and Bernal.

You mean riders on the level of Nicholas Schultz?
Had Schultz finished closer than 90 seconds, then i would have meant riders like him. So not only did you misunderstand the meaning of the word ''closer'', you also managed to completely ignore the context where this would be a climb where Evenepoel suffers more than his rivals and has not proven himself in a real mountain stage. Considering Schultz' performance was not better than Evenepoel's on Zoncolan, there is no reason to assume Evenepoel would suffer more than somebody like Schultz. Hence my reference to riders who would perform better than that, riders he should ''fear''. Hence closer than 90 seconds. Closer as in, superlative of close. More close. Hope that clears things up. But thanks for reminding me why i have you on ignore to begin with.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS