• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1251 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Gigs_98 said:
I don't see Contador as a top favorite for Rio. Sure, he is a great climber but on the climb which will be included he will have problems to ride away from everyone. And when many riders come over the top together he can only try an attack in the flat, which is unlikely to succeed. If it ends in a reduced sprint he doesnt have a chance too.

Do you know how long the climb is? How steep?
If he wants to win he'll simply have to have great form. I haven't seen much of the profile. Would it be nearly impossible to do a strong attack on the climb, build a lead, maybe extend it on the descent, and survive till the end on the flats?

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
sacrifice&hardwork said:
He has already ridden some parts of the course; you can be sure he'll take it seriously and will train for it.
Really? Interesting :) yes I am sure it is a serious goal for him :)

Ok. Maybe it wasn't the actual course but he was inspecting the area back in 2013, remember laflorecita when he was in Rio and rode up to see Christ the Redeemer?

https://youtu.be/WRCElECSBQ0

He said,
hacer los Juegos Olímpicos porque creo que son duros y quizá se me pueden adaptar por una vez”.

On his 2016 race calendar, ride the Olympics because I believe they're hard and can maybe favor me for once re the course.

sacrifice&hardwork said:
LaFlorecita said:
sacrifice&hardwork said:
He has already ridden some parts of the course; you can be sure he'll take it seriously and will train for it.
Really? Interesting :) yes I am sure it is a serious goal for him :)

Ok. Maybe it wasn't the actual course but he was inspecting the area back in 2013, remember laflorecita when he was in Rio and rode up to see Christ the Redeemer?

https://youtu.be/WRCElECSBQ0

He said,
hacer los Juegos Olímpicos porque creo que son duros y quizá se me pueden adaptar por una vez”.

On his 2016 race calendar, ride the Olympics because I believe they're hard and can maybe favor me for once re the course.
Ah yes, I remember :)
Confira-imagens-semana_LANIMA20131115_0175_48.jpg

Nice video, I hadn't seen that one yet :)

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Contador should ride giro, Rio and vuelta next year. That would be a nice triple combo to finish off on. Screw the tour...

At least he should consider the parcours before deciding. A very tt-heavy tour would make it unlikely, I think, for him to beat Froome.

Re:

Malmeren said:
Contador should ride giro, Rio and vuelta next year. That would be a nice triple combo to finish off on. Screw the tour...

At least he should consider the parcours before deciding. A very tt-heavy tour would make it unlikely, I think, for him to beat Froome.
When Alberto is in good shape, he can deliver very good TT performances. In fact, in his last 3 GT wins, he beat all his GC rivals in the long ITT, even though many people expected him to lose time in those ITTs beforehand.
2012 Vuelta ITT, people thought Froome would take time, Alberto took 22s, and even after the flat part he was 9s ahead IIRC.
2014 Vuelta ITT, people thought Froome would take time, Alberto took almost 1 minute.
2015 Giro ITT, people though Uran and Porte would take time, Alberto took minutes on both.
I've learned that as long as Alberto is in decent shape, I won't have to worry about the ITTs. He almost always delivers. If he doesn't win next year's TDF, it will be because he simply isn't good enough.

LaFlorecita said:
Malmeren said:

When Alberto is in good shape, he can deliver very good TT performances. In fact, in his last 3 GT wins, he beat all his GC rivals in the long ITT, even though many people expected him to lose time in those ITTs beforehand.
2012 Vuelta ITT, people thought Froome would take time, Alberto took 22s, and even after the flat part he was 9s ahead IIRC.
2014 Vuelta ITT, people thought Froome would take time, Alberto took almost 1 minute.
2015 Giro ITT, people though Uran and Porte would take time, Alberto took minutes on both.
I've learned that as long as Alberto is in decent shape, I won't have to worry about the ITTs. He almost always delivers. If he doesn't win next year's TDF, it will be because he simply isn't good enough.

Yeah, his tt'ing way more dependent on his shape. He's always, amongst the 10 best climbers in the race, every single time. That's in contrast with Nibali, who can ride decent tt's while getting dropped on a cat 3 hill.

LaFlorecita said:
Malmeren said:

Or crashes, or gets sick or has a mechanical that loses him lots of time....the list is endless really :( But if he is in good shape it won't be the ITT :).

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Watching todays stage at the Vuleta. All those Bertie haters going on about how useless he was in the giro and the tour look a bit stupid now. Buy their standard Aru is now the best Climber in the world :D

Vino attacks everyone said:
ray j willings said:
Watching todays stage at the Vuleta. All those Bertie haters going on about how useless he was in the giro and the tour look a bit stupid now. Buy their standard Aru is now the best Climber in the world :D

But Aru IS the best climber in the world :confused:

Somewhere in Astana there's an abandoned orphanage, with an old closet, which is secretly a long forgotten passage to another world. A world, in which Aru is indeed the best climber in the world

Red Rick said:
ray j willings said:

Somewhere in Astana there's an abandoned orphanage, with an old closet, which is secretly a long forgotten passage to another world. A world, in which Aru is indeed the best climber in the world

And Rein taamaree was breaking records in the lead up to the Tour

Red Rick said:
ray j willings said:

Ha! Looks like that's where they stored Landa's climbing ability after the Giro, too. Now, where's that Taxus fella?

This Vuelta is…odd. Giro definitely the best race of the season, and not only because of Alberto winning. Raced from the get-go; Astana antics; Contador solo-ing a good chunk of the thing. Tour was pretty meh compard to how it was touted with GC not really igniting in the mountains and this Vuelta…kind of undercooked thus far. Missing a real protagonist like Alberto tbf. Have to see but by the third week, a lot of people will be v. cooked, I think. May be a 'who's clinging on best' versus who's winning'. Esp. after the crahses and stickybottlegate stuff.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site

Electress said:
Red Rick said:
ray j willings said:

Looks like that's where they stored Landa's climbing ability after the Giro, too. Now, where's that Taxus fella?

This is what happens to me nearly every time I read a Taxus post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CS7j5I6aOc

ray j willings said:
Electress said:
Red Rick said:
ray j willings said:

Looks like that's where they stored Landa's climbing ability after the Giro, too. Now, where's that Taxus fella?

This is what happens to me nearly every time I read a Taxus post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CS7j5I6aOc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FopyRHHlt3M

They are hasty judgments.
I expected more up to date. But let's not forget that he was discharged from the team for months, so find the right motivation to prepare a GT when you do not feel the confidence and support of anyone, it is difficult.
besides he knew there were also Nibali and Aru, and after what happened in the Giro, as he could prepare with serenity the Vuelta?
better to wait Giro 2016 when he will be at the helm of the sky (I hope) to make judgments

Matteo. said:
They are hasty judgments.
I expected more up to date. But let's not forget that he was discharged from the team for months, so find the right motivation to prepare a GT when you do not feel the confidence and support of anyone, it is difficult.
besides he knew there were also Nibali and Aru, and after what happened in the Giro, as he could prepare with serenity the Vuelta?
better to wait Giro 2016 when he will be at the helm of the sky (I hope) to make judgments

What is there to do? He did 2 GT's back to back, and before you can start training for next season you need to fully recover from that. All he can do is not go fully Betancur and do some light training. Besides that, it doesn't really matter as long as it's not detrimental to his recovery

No_Balls said:
ray j willings said:

etapa-16-fabio-aru-problemas-mortirolo.jpg

Fabio Aru just lol´ed this.

So did his long lost brother

Ed-Miliband-laughing-e1328044862379.jpg