• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1439 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 23, 2016
Visit site
There goes al the hype. If Froome is able to do this to Bertie than i guess only lord knows what Nairo will do with Bertie in the 3d week of the TdF. Should be quite fun :D

It's ok, guys. One bad performance does not a disaster make. Contador beforehand had said how he isn't going for the win and is just testing his legs and getting back up to race speed. This is his first real test, maybe Tuesday, of racing. The MTT was too hard and too short to test race rhythm, as well as the fact it's an ITT. Of course it is not how he was in 2014, but it is not the end of the world. For all we know 2014 might've peaked too early in the end. When had we ever seen such a good Contador at the Dauphine? If he finishes the race in 3rd or so then it is no problem, and is similar to how he was pre ban. The Tour is a month away, that is a month to find the legs and find the peak. It's till 1 and a half months to when it really matters, anyway.

Re:

MovistarRider said:
There goes al the hype. If Froome is able to do this to Bertie than i guess only lord knows what Nairo will do with Bertie in the 3d week of the TdF. Should be quite fun :D
Actually Nairo's presence in the Tour is the only consolation left, if Alberto doesn't have the level it takes (which you really cannot conclude yet). Then we will atleast get a decent battle

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Pantani Attacks said:
This is the Dauphine, calm down. I swear Bertie stans are the worst.

Don't blame them, many are just fans cause Contador used to win everything you see :D

Tomorrow should be good, in '09 he couldn't drop Evans and Piti and then proceeded to crush everyone.

If there's one WT race where it can be justified to drop, it's the dauphine :D

May 23, 2016
Visit site
Re: Re:

Cance > TheRest said:
MovistarRider said:
Actually Nairo's presence in the Tour is the only consolation left, if Alberto doesn't have the level it takes (which you really cannot conclude yet). Then we will atleast get a decent battle

Don't you worry, Nairo will bring the heat to Froome and his Sky boys. Bertie doesn't have what it takes to go toe-to-toe with either of them. It's a delusion hope.

Re:

rune1107 said:
I don't understand how he could do a prologue on the level of Porte and Froome, and then get wrecked like this today? The Tour looks difficult now..

it is easy to explain, he is similar kind of rider than Horner, he can go out of the saddle for a long and he is very good always in his life in the first climb of an ITT. as I said one, maybe the best in cycling History.

As I said he did a similar performance and level in the prologue than in the second ITT of the Tour 2013, when he dropped easy with Froome Quintana and Purito on the mountains...as I said he could have a level to win le Tour, but just the prologue didnt show that...

He has never show that level after his santion. In Vuelta 2014 he was the well prepared rider for the race among people who were in contention: Valverde, Froome, Purito,...and some circunstances of the race were in his favour. (Quintana crashed early, Froome did a mistake in the ITT,...) so he just need to follow a Froome not at his best level. I aplaude Contador, that Vuelta has a big merit, how early he started to train after his crash, how strong he train, his mental strentg, his determination, and yes, he showed a good level, but not enough to beat Froome or Quintana in le Tour. and the same the rest of the year, although in 2014 he was a little bit stronger than today, similar to Porte today. (it looks more now, but just a little)

But now is le Tour, Quintana and Froome at his best level, this is not Aru.

Cheers!

Anyway the important race is le Tour, we will see, it would be nice to see Contador at a similar level to the rest becouse he is an experienced, intelligent and brave rider, so it would be good for the spectacle.

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
The one positive we can all take from this is that Froome has exposed his hand early and Bertie has not (we assume Bertie has a hand...chuckle). My criticism of Froome remains, he is not a tactful rider, he feels as long as I have the strength no one can stop me. Well thats sort of true and he did that in 2013 and 2015. I see that Bertie dropped suddenly almost as if he saw a red indicator and called it off. Was he testing himself with Froome? Perhaps we over-assume about Bertie, that he is doing all this based on a plan, he may just have been plain thrashed.

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Try not think in absolutes as you always do, there's a difference between winning and finishing behind freaking Yates and Martin. There's an in-between, do you get that or are you that dumb?

He could've followed Froome and Porte, I know for a fact that he can follow Porte at this level so he could've finished with them, could've ended within 10 seconds and so on.

But that was really bad, that's it.

MovistarRider said:
Cance > TheRest said:
MovistarRider said:

Don't you worry, Nairo will bring the heat to Froome and his Sky boys. Bertie doesn't have what it takes to go toe-to-toe with either of them. It's a delusion hope.
Ahaahahah.Quintana hype here :D :eek:
Also Contador may be terrible in July,but I think he is far from his peak and will be very good in July.
But Quintana won't win the Tour.

It was like Ruta del Sol last year... Or one stage in the Vuelta 2014... Froome just goes and drills, never looks behind at all. The worst feeling is when Contador is just pulling all sorts of faces behind and then just goes puff... Damn, he needs his usuall Dauphine to Tour form boost... If not, my July is going to be ruined once again...

Re:

jilbiker said:
The one positive we can all take from this is that Froome has exposed his hand early and Bertie has not (we assume Bertie has a hand...chuckle). My criticism of Froome remains, he is not a tactful rider, he feels as long as I have the strength no one can stop me. Well thats sort of true and he did that in 2013 and 2015. I see that Bertie dropped suddenly almost as if he saw a red indicator and called it off. Was he testing himself with Froome? Perhaps we over-assume about Bertie, that he is doing all this based on a plan, he may just have been plain thrashed.

Think the whole yo-yo strat suggests otherwise.

May 23, 2016
Visit site
Re:

Forever The Best said:
MovistarRider said:
Quintana still won't win the Tour.

Quintana will finish above Contador, i can assure you that.

portugal11 said:
Nairo and contador just can't compete with froome's accelerations. Col d'aspin will be terrible

Quintana is at a age that leaves him still alot of room for improving. Contador not, so there is a big difference between those 2 riders.

MovistarRider said:
Forever The Best said:
MovistarRider said:
Quintana still won't win the Tour.

Quintana will finish above Contador, i can assure you that.

portugal11 said:
Nairo and contador just can't compete with froome's accelerations. Col d'aspin will be terrible

Quintana is at a age that leaves him still alot of room for improving. Contador not, so there is a big difference between those 2 riders.
But winning matters.And Quintana won't win.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts