• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Arnaud De Lie’s Hips Don’t Lie Discussion Thread

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
https://cyclinguptodate.com/cycling...ng-on-sprint-finishes-i-still-lack-pure-speed
(Quote!)Arnaud De Lie is a tremendously talented rider but is taking steps slowly. After a breakthrough 2022, this year he's racing a World Tour calendar and facing his biggest competitors, and in 2024 he'll take the next step which will be a Grand Tour debut. Which one however will depend on the routes.

"The intention is to ride my first Grand Tour next year. But there is no plan on the table yet. If there are only flat sprints in the Tour, I won't go there," De Lie shared in a conversation with Het Nieuwsblad. "I have noticed that I still lack pure speed in my legs for such flat sprint finishes. But in a bunch sprint on a slightly sloping finish, like in the first week of the Vuelta, I can destroy everything."

"I talk to Stéphane (Heulot, CEO Lotto-Dstny, ed.) a lot, he asks my opinion about everything. But I don't make many demands. I did insist on the arrival of Lionel Taminiaux."

At still 21 years of age the 'Bull' is already the most important figure in the team and the one who the team seeks to protect as much as possible. A recent renovation until 2026 was another sign of that mutual trust. De Lie is going to be racing the Canadian classics this weekend in another test of his abilities in the hilly classics, and he is very ambitious into 2024. "I really want to race for victory in the big classics from next year. I was close to it this year in the Omloop Het Nieuwsblad. I also want to win races at WorldTour level," he concludes.(End quote!)
I suppose the big question is, if he does very well next year, will Lotto be able to keep him?

Reactions: Didinho
He has, but a few good victories and if he wants to be on a WT team then one with a lot of cash might be tempting. We'll just have to wait and see what happens next year.

You know that's not how it works right?

This Remco drama really has made people insane it seems.

First of all why would he care about being in a WT team at the end of next year when he obviously didn't now? And why do you think Lotto would just let him go? He signed a new contract for a reason (and for a lot of money too).

Reactions: saunaking
"We'll just have to wait and see what happens next year."

But we don't tho...

I just don't get how people have been going on about De Lie leaving Lotto for 2 years straight and now that he finally signed a somewhat longterm contract there's still people that insinuate he's going to leave soon, which is never going to happen.

The team has made it tough sending him to Canada - He may get to the finish at Quebec but there is no hope at Montreal.

Quebec has been a big goal for him since the beginning of the season. Why do you always pretend like De Lie has no saying in his schedule? For some reason people love criticizing Lotto regarding De Lie's schedule all the time. It's not good when he's riding smaller races, and it's not good either when they send him WT races.

Already looking forward to the responses when they see De Lie ride Guanxi at the end of the year.

But we don't tho...

I just don't get how people have been going on about De Lie leaving Lotto for 2 years straight and now that he finally signed a somewhat longterm contract there's still people that insinuate he's going to leave soon, which is never going to happen.

Quebec has been a big goal for him since the beginning of the season. Why do you always pretend like De Lie has no saying in his schedule? For some reason people love criticizing Lotto regarding De Lie's schedule all the time. It's not good when he's riding smaller races, and it's not good either when they send him WT races.

Already looking forward to the responses when they see De Lie ride Guanxi at the end of the year.

You are so sensitive ! I made the point that Quebec will be a tough race for him to win, while Montreal has 4800m of climbing which is hard for even a rider like Matthews - Check last year's result.

You are so sensitive ! I made the point that Quebec will be a tough race for him to win, while Montreal has 4800m of climbing which is hard for even a rider like Matthews - Check last year's result.

I'm not sensitive, just annoyed by you complaining about what Lotto does all the time.

You didn't say it would be a though race, "the team has made it tough" definitely insinuates something else. And again, it's De Lie's choice. No one is talking about Montreal.

I'm not sensitive, just annoyed by you complaining about what Lotto does all the time.

You didn't say it would be a though race, "the team has made it tough" definitely insinuates something else. And again, it's De Lie's choice. No one is talking about Montreal.

How was I complaining or insinuating? I was stating a well-thought out opinion - You need to stop your sensitivity about any comments about De Lie - The strangest thing is that if you check the history of my posts, I have a big opinion about De Lie's ability. I just happen to think it will be a tough weekend for De Lie - The one thing in his favour is the fields are weaker than 2022 - Finally, I make very few posts about team Lotto Dstiny.

Last edited:
De Lie on GP Montreal -
https://cyclinguptodate.com/cycling...ontreal-as-he-aims-for-european-championships

"Because I wanted to anticipate," De Lie tells Het Nieuwsblad on why he decided to attack so early. "I thought to myself that if I could get thirty seconds, I could make everyone a little nervous. You never know. In the end I never got more than ten seconds. When I returned to the peloton I couldn't move anymore. I had a good time, but I was exhausted on the last lap."

A very aggressive race from the Belgian who proved his climbing abilities. "That was all I wanted to do here. And I did that too. With a big smile on your face, more is always possible. I just love racing this way. I felt really good. I don't think many 78kg guys finished ahead of me. This race has almost 5,000 meters of elevation and in the end I didn't finish badly," he argues.

(Next up for De Lie is the European Championships Road Race on 24 Sept.)