• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Doping In Athletics

Page 97 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...ttempt-break-marathon-two-hour-barrier-london
Ineos to back Eliud Kipchoge’s attempt to break two-hour marathon barrier

The attempt is bound to generate controversy, however, given it is financed by the richest man in Britain, Jim Ratcliffe, whose petrochemical company Ineos has faced protests from environmentalists for its business practices, use of plastics and links to fracking.

What could possibly go wrong?! :lol:

EDIT - Saw this from Matt Lawton - https://twitter.com/Matt_Lawton_DM/status/1125301759415672832
If @INEOS want us to take this seriously, how about paying for Kipchoge to be tested every week between now and October with the results published?

https://www.dn.se/sport/os-tvaan-i-maraton-avstangd-for-bloddopning/
https://www.si.com/olympics/2019/05...tegrity-unit-olympic-marathon-silver-medalist
Olympic silver medalist Eunice Kirwa of Bahrain has been provisionally suspended by the Athletics Integrity Unit after testing positive for EPO, a blood-boosting drug. Kirwa finished second in the women's marathon in the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio de Janeiro behind Kenya's Jemima Sumong.

Sumgong is currently serving an eight-year suspension after she tested positive for EPO in 2017. She was initially banned for four years but appealed the suspension and then lied at her doping hearing. An independent arbiter determined she provided false records of a hospital visit to try and justify her failed drug test. Since the positive test came after the Olympics, she will hold onto her gold medal from the 2016 Summer Games but cannot compete again until 2027

Re:

Robert5091 said:
She was initially banned for four years but appealed the suspension and then lied at her doping hearing. An independent arbiter determined she provided false records of a hospital visit to try and justify her failed drug test.

That's hilarious, I hadn't heard that story before. Apparently she claimed she was unknowingly injected with EPO for legit medical reasons, but by a fake doctor and thus leaving no paper trail, or something. Pretty creative. :lol:

https://tass.com/sport/1066880
Russian long-distance runner Ilyas Nurgaliyev has been suspended for a two-year term over violations of anti-doping regulations, the press service of the All-Russia Athletics Federation (RusAF) announced on Wednesday.

According to the press service, a doping sample of the 23-year-old track and field athlete tested positive for banned performance enhancing drug Oxilofrine.

The two-year suspension of Nurgaliyev starts from August 10, 2018, while all of his athletic results after July 21, 2018 will be cancelled.

A recent IT event and the motivational speaker was Sally Gunnell. She was rumoured to be on 5k for the 30 minute speech. Gunnell had attempted to break into TV but failed and was quietly dropped by the BBC. She did not go quietly and complained about her treatment:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-374122/BBC-undermined-I-quit-says-Gunnell.html.

She has been “reduced” to this sort of activity but 5k is not bad when the assembled nerds have seen their pensions trashed since the financial crisis of 2008.

Gunnell spoke about ‘marginal gains’ and quoted Brailsford and yes it was “pillows”. She also mentioned “Linford” as an inspiration and spoke about the Eastern bloc being on stuff back then at beginning of the talk, promising to get back to the topic but never did.

What she did address was nutrition and developing a team around her. It was this team of “nutritionists” which accounted for her dramatic improvement at the age of 26.

There was a failure to address how she beat a demonstrably dirty Soviet bloc athlete Tatyana Ledovskaya into fourth place in the 1992 Olympic final. Ledovskaya had won a gold in the 4 x 400 relay in 1988 in a WR which still stands. 1992, a year in which Gunnell missed an out of competition test.

Gunnell’s 1993 WR is the oldest in the top 10 fastest performances of all time - still there at number eight. Above her a Jamaican, two Russians, four Balco Americans with plenty of East Europeans below.

The take away from this event remains however that a thousand British IT “logicians”, all on trashed pension plans, were listening to this crap.

So here's what happened.

June 6, 2018 ,- DCO attempts to test Coleman and finds he failed to update his Whereabouts Filing to accurately reflect his location

January 16, 2019 - missed test

April 26, 2019 - missed test

That's three strikes in twelve months, says USADA. Foul!

Oh no it isn't says Coleman's lawyers, it's three strikes in thirteen months. No foul.

Say what?, says USADA.

It's three strikes in thirteen months, says Coleman's lawyers.

Get the hell outta here, says USADA, how are you counting 13 months between June and April?

Because, says Coleman's lawyers, the June whereabouts data should have been filed Aoril 1, the start of the relevant quarter. Aoril 1 2018 to April 26 2019, thirteen months, rounded up.

Excuse us while we go read the rules, says USADA.

USADA goes and reads the rules.

Good point, well made, says USADA. Case dismissed. Move along now, nothing to see here.

And now Coleman is calling for USADA's hashtag sorry squad to apologise:
In a lengthy video posted on YouTube ahead of the world championships in Doha, Coleman said the charge had damaged his reputation as a clean athlete and he had foregone over $150,000 in potential earnings to fight it.

“I can afford a lawyer and have the best people defending me but a lot of people don’t make a lot of money and if you’re a lower name you might get run over by USADA,” he said.

“I feel you can’t put a price on the fact I have to deal with this situation ... and the smear of my reputation.”
And, of course, there's the line that never grows old:
“I’m tested 30-40 times a year. It’s a crazy amount of times."

And now Coleman is calling for USADA's hashtag sorry squad to apologise:
And, of course, there's the line that never grows old:
USADA should apologize, it appears that Coleman had calculated that he should have been able to dope freely again until he had missed another test - the first of his missed tests should have gone off his record already ;)

Coleman should be tested 300-400 times a year from now on, not 30-40, if any believability is to be maintained

Somehow the American excuses are always acceptable, remember Will Claye and the contaminated beef last year?

Last edited:
Are antidoping agencies like USADA having full time and paid positions or they are volunteers only w/o any salaries? It's clear that they do not understand their rules so either they are not caring much or are not capable of. You cannot expect to effectively fight the doping in such circumstances.

• Sad
Reactions: fmk_RoI
Rules which are poorly written can be interpreted opposite to intentions, I agree. And we are not talking about laws with many interrelations with oter laws where something might be overlooked. We are talking about simple control process. USADA is to blame, however limited experience I may have, not comparable to your wide knowledge in every area.

• Sad
Reactions: fmk_RoI
Kenya is in trouble again. This time german channel ZDF claims they have footage of two athletes ready for the world championships getting EPO shots:

im tired of the German media going after everyone except their own, especially their big stars- Football.

TRENDING THREADS