• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 611 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Is it? I don't see that in Jonas, Remco or Masnada threads. Focusing on fans of this cyclists, that often bring such critique up. In addition if Jonas, Remco or Masnada would win Giro 2023 in the way Rogla did. All we would be hearing is what legends they are, just like Rogla is. But OK, at least the age BS quieted down.
That's not true at all. Every rider gets their fair share of critique, some more some less. Jonas for instance is often associated with juices of various forms and colours and is dissed for being a "boring personality". Remco is being doubted (sometimes by me :) ) he is a true GT top dog despite the fact he won a GT. You, CylistAbi, would go berserk if anyone still insisted after Roglic won 2019 Vuelta that he might not be the real deal GT contender.

I too sometimes have a feeling that Roglic is being disproportionally mistreated/disrespected by some guys here, but go to Remco thread, it's a similar story...

Still, what in my opinion this debate exposed is, it's not the racing style, that is not the problem at all, just like with age. It's more about some wishful thinking, or exaggerating about preference, trying to find something, aim being on how to make Rogla change his racing style, so some other riders would stand a chance. Thanks for helping me figure that one out @bNator.

So no, Rogla won't change his winning ways. What he did change, though, is the team. From the one that didn't want to support it any more, to the one that at least says it will. So lets hope for years of stomp to come! As what a lost that would be to cycling. Roglstomp, no more. It pains me inside, to even think about it at this point.

So lets get real. Gremo Primož!

That's not what i was discussing, the discussion was about vingegaard or roglic attacking and the one who stayed on the bunch, don't make a move.

I was telling that roglic did the same that vingegaard did on jalavambre. They moved when the other one was at the front. So, there's no moral by roglic fans, to say that roglic didn't do what vingegaard did.

Even so, there was a difference. Vingegaard dropped everybody when he catched Roglic on jalavambre. Roglic couldn't drop ayuso on sierra de bejes, he continued to push with ayuso on his wheel, and the result was Kuss being dropped by him, when Vingegaard was at the front.
This his facts, that's what was showed on TV.
I'm going to answer on this one although I'm not sure if you're trolling or just clueless, or maybe both.
Vingegaard attacked when Roglic was 15 sec in front, and brought Enric Mas with him.
Roglic attacked 1km from the line when Vingegaard already had a minute advantage, and there's no way someone could reach him, plus when he saw he didn't dropped them, he stopped.
That's facts, and that was showed on TV.

I'm going to answer on this one although I'm not sure if you're trolling or just clueless, or maybe both.
Vingegaard attacked when Roglic was 15 sec in front, and brought Enric Mas with him.
Roglic attacked 1km from the line when Vingegaard already had a minute advantage, and there's no way someone could reach him, plus when he saw he didn't dropped them, he stopped.
That's facts, and that was showed on TV.
Spot on. I have already quitted answering because it becomes tiring to polish a turd.

Reactions: acm
I thought slovenian fans root for the two slovenians. There's a strong rivality in slovenia between roglic fans and pogacar fans?

Is there some reason for that hate between them?
Not that much anymore, luckily. But in 2020 there was definitely quite some hate towards Pog in Slovenia - the reason being him winning TDF over Roglic. Even Pog’s mom had to do some media damage limitation by stating she feels sorry for Roglic…

Like I said, it’s way better now, but I’m guessing Roglic is still more popular than Pog in Slovenia… It’s understandable to some degree - Roglic really put Slovenia on the map and did things we never thought were possible for a Slovenian.

Last edited:
In 21 and 22 maybe a few, because Pog was considered unbeatable and if you cheered for Rog you would naturally also prefer Vingegaard because it helps Rog, team aspect and all that. In 2023 that would be very few people, maybe Jumbo fans. In 2024 I think pretty much most of Slovenian fans don't even care about Jumbo anymore. Bora on the other hand will become the No. 1 fav team in Slovenia.

Not that much anymore, luckily. But in 2020 there was definitely quite some hate towards Pog in Slovenia - the reason being him winning TDF over Roglic. Even Pog’s mom had to do some media damage limitation by stating she feels sorry for Roglic…

Like I said, it’s way better now, but I’m guessing Roglic is still more popular than Pog in Slovenia… It’s understandable to some degree - Roglic really put Slovenia on the map and did things we never thought were possible for a Slovenian.
Who is more popular in slovenia? Roglic or doncic?

It was a exaggerated hate against pogi in 2020, because he just did his thing, fortunately for him he was stronger, but he never was disrespectful or showed some arrogance against roglic after his victory.

Reactions: Sandisfan

It was a exaggerated hate against pogi in 2020, because he just did his thing, fortunately for him he was stronger, but he never was disrespectful or showed some arrogance against roglic after his victory.
Basketball is still more popular in Slovenia then cycling (in terms of pro sports, not free time). Younger generation Dončič, older probably Roglič. If Dončič manages to lead Slo to any cup win, then he takes the nr. 1 spot. If R. wins Tour, he becomes god himself.

Reactions: bNator and Froome

Pog had bad timing winning Tour. It was all set for Roglič completing the unthinkable and the whole country was rooting for him. For that ski jumper from unknown little country that suffered so much to get there. People went ballistic when countryman took that moment away from them.

I thought slovenian fans root for the two slovenians. There's a strong rivality in slovenia between roglic fans and pogacar fans?

Is there some reason for that hate between them?
There is a lot of "instant" fans, who cheer for Roglič, because of drama at PDBF and because he is modest... I think if Roglič ends with cycling they still cheer for ex. JumboVisma and not for Pogi. That are not real fans, real fans know that is amazing to have so many good cyclists in small Slovenia and cheer for everyone.
Imagine Belgians to have such a class of cyclists?

Reactions: Froome and bNator
There is a lot of "instant" fans, who cheer for Roglič, because of drama at PDBF and because he is modest... I think if Roglič ends with cycling they still cheer for ex. JumboVisma and not for Pogi. That are not real fans, real fans know that is amazing to have so many good cyclists in small Slovenia and cheer for everyone.
Imagine Belgians to have such a class of cyclists?
Agree with the part that new cycling fans (who started watching cycling with Roglic) have a harder time accepting Pog. I think they do not fully understand what Pog is doing here. In Slovenia, there was traditionally no coverage of the classics - Tour and Giro and that was it. To really comprehend Pog's value, you need to know broader aspects of the sport, know its history... Once you do that, it's really hard not to root for him if he's your compatriot.

I think what helped with the transition to liking the guy is also Pog's character. You are mentioning Roglic's modesty - a virtue in Slovenia, no doubt about that. And Pog could come out as arrogant at the beginning of his career due to his ambition/success at a very young age. Showing a glimpse of his personality earned him many fans in his home country in my opinion.

Agree with the part that new cycling fans (who started watching cycling with Roglic) have a harder time accepting Pog. I think they do not fully understand what Pog is doing here. In Slovenia, there was traditionally no coverage of the classics - Tour and Giro and that was it. To really comprehend Pog's value, you need to know broader aspects of the sport, know its history... Once you do that, it's really hard not to root for him if he's your compatriot.

I think what helped with the transition to liking the guy is also Pog's character. You are mentioning Roglic's modesty - a virtue in Slovenia, no doubt about that. And Pog could come out as arrogant at the beginning of his career due to his ambition/success at a very young age. Showing a glimpse of his personality earned him many fans in his home country in my opinion.
Him losing Tour against Jonas and Roglič not being there helped the most.

Word! If you have normal life, work, kids, hobbies... You cant follow up threads, especially Rogličs.
No offence, i like your(Abi) writing, but too much is too much.
Replay on every post, no matter what.
I still have 5 pages of that thread to read.

Well, you are free to chose. Normal life or pushing through the Rogličes thread. And i am afraid we are only getting started. Well, not afraid of that, can't wait for it to be honest.

Didn't a Single poster contribute 80% of those? Seems like the same tired arguments, anyway. No one is racing GTs yet so last year is soooooooooo last year!

I can only wish. As suggested you can put some poster on ignore, than if the metric is right, at least half of this thread consist of other posters. But be aware, as at least half of that reads something in the lines of Rogla is to old, Rogla won't ever win again, aargh not the stomp again, so boring ...

Being subjected to such bubble is not something i would find a particularly good idea. There needs to be some perspective involved. For example in 2024 season Jonas could get his very first proper stomp, or he could just ride away, as some suggest will happen.

The only thing we can be rather sure of is we will discuss it in this thread. And as history teaches, likely more than once.

OK i hear you and will meet you half the way. Till March i will mostly engage at Fridays. Reason being hard working family people can digest it during the weekend, or during the week, depending on if their job involves internet access or not. And for other quality content to get more needed space.

As in the end i agree that all that BS about the age, racing style, winning ways ... We sorted that out, through discussion. I feel that that is still the superior approach, compared to lets say what we are seeing in this day and age, going on in the world. With all the assholes involved, incapable of a discussion. Believing their version of the truth is the true one.

So turning a new leaf with Bora it is and lets then gradually build up through the season. Going through all the trials and tribulations and working hard towards what will hopefully be a grand season.