• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

General News Thread

Page 36 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
he was also a pretty valuable domestique for gesink at last years vuelta. i understand his frustration.

He has every right to be frustrated, but venting his feelings in public shows quite a lack of professionalism. I wouldn't want a guy like that on my team.

If he has issues, talk to the team's management. If he just needs to vent, he has friends and family. Don't start slinging mud in public.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
python said:
http://www.tuttobiciweb.it/index.php?page=news&cod=30393&tp=n

first indications that menchov may not be extending with rabo.

i say you'd be a fool not to, denis, particularly if you listen to that little nationalistic whisper in your head :(

Probaly wants to go to katusha. possibly feels on the out with a dutch rider challenging his leadership? Just a guess why he might leave. Sponsors and the dutch who run the team would rather a dutch rider leading than a russian rider.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
python said:
http://www.tuttobiciweb.it/index.php?page=news&cod=30393&tp=n

first indications that menchov may not be extending with rabo.

i say you'd be a fool not to, denis, particularly if you listen to that little nationalistic whisper in your head :(

What exactly does it say? Google translate gives me this for the 2nd paragraph:

And about your future, how can you say? We all read a clear interest from the team Katusha ...
"For several months we are evaluating the Rabobank team when Milito for 6 years and I am fine to extend the contract. For the rest, more or less confirm that all the teams without an international leader in stage races were felt, paradoxically, neither I nor any of my staff has ever been offered, however, by the Team Katusha. If this avvenissime not do is evaluate it, in all serenity, why not? Incidentally two years have shown a high level of management. They are a team with a strong nationalistic matrix, find it logical to try to fill the few gaps shown in the charts of major Tours.

It sounds like he is happy to extent his contract with Rabo and there has been no approach by Katusha, despite the rumors. I think he suggests that if he does get an offer he might "evaluate" it, but it hardly sounds like a guy keen to jump. Or am I missing something that got lost in translation?

A Russian team might be very appealing to him, but he and Rabo has been strong partners for a long time now, it is quite something to give up.

And Menchov is on the whole seen as "Honerary Dutch Rabo" by Dutch supporters. He certainly flew the orange flag through a few very lean orange years. Even if Gesink does well this year, I can't see a big cry for anything but dual leadership.

If Menchov goes it will be a lot of dosh, an overriding attraction by Menchov to riding for a Russian outfit, or because he thinks he will end up playing second fiddle at Rabo based on relative strength to Gesink, and someone offers him first fiddle elsewhere.

But I (still) can't see that happen in a hurry, I think there is quite some mutual loyalty between Menchov and Rabo (and its supporters). Rabo has been a good and loyal employer to the Russian, and even if Gesink does very well, it might actually help the Russian, rather than hinder (as Gesink would be a help in the mountains but no GC threat because of inferior TT skills). If Menchov bombs at the Tour, and Gesink shines, maybe that is something that will change his mind. But if he bombs, his attraction to Katusha must be diminished too.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Sponsors and the dutch who run the team would rather a dutch rider leading than a russian rider.

Right now I'd say that most would be happiest with both. Gesink is young and (still) lacks key skills for a serious GC attack.

Gesink and the other young riders will take a few years to mature, Menchov would be a welcome and valued asset for a few years yet I'd say.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Francois the Postman said:
Right now I'd say that most would be happiest with both. Gesink is young and (still) lacks key skills for a serious GC attack.

Gesink and the other young riders will take a few years to mature, Menchov would be a welcome and valued asset for a few years yet I'd say.

in the long run, it's gesink. i am just speculating, but you would think Menchov would feel a tug to katusha due to his heritage and wanting cycling to become bigger in his country.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Francois the Postman said:
What exactly does it say? Google translate gives me this for the 2nd paragraph:

And about your future, how can you say? We all read a clear interest from the team Katusha ...
"For several months we are evaluating the Rabobank team when Milito for 6 years and I am fine to extend the contract. For the rest, more or less confirm that all the teams without an international leader in stage races were felt, paradoxically, neither I nor any of my staff has ever been offered, however, by the Team Katusha. If this avvenissime not do is evaluate it, in all serenity, why not? Incidentally two years have shown a high level of management. They are a team with a strong nationalistic matrix, find it logical to try to fill the few gaps shown in the charts of major Tours.

It sounds like he is happy to extent his contract with Rabo and there has been no approach by Katusha, despite the rumors. I think he suggests that if he does get an offer he might "evaluate" it, but it hardly sounds like a guy keen to jump. Or am I missing something that got lost in translation?

A Russian team might be very appealing to him, but he and Rabo has been strong partners for a long time now, it is quite something to give up.

And Menchov is on the whole seen as "Honerary Dutch Rabo" by Dutch supporters. He certainly flew the orange flag through a few very lean orange years. Even if Gesink does well this year, I can't see a big cry for anything but dual leadership.

If Menchov goes it will be a lot of dosh, an overriding attraction by Menchov to riding for a Russian outfit, or because he thinks he will end up playing second fiddle at Rabo based on relative strength to Gesink, and someone offers him first fiddle elsewhere.

But I (still) can't see that happen in a hurry, I think there is quite some mutual loyalty between Menchov and Rabo (and its supporters). Rabo has been a good and loyal employer to the Russian, and even if Gesink does very well, it might actually help the Russian, rather than hinder (as Gesink would be a help in the mountains but no GC threat because of inferior TT skills). If Menchov bombs at the Tour, and Gesink shines, maybe that is something that will change his mind. But if he bombs, his attraction to Katusha must be diminished too.
the way i understood it, to summarize, all options are still open. he’d be happy to extend with rabo but is open to an offer from katusha (he praised them)

not in the article (but in the foreground) is the fact that katusha’s general manager very recently stated that they are always interested in him and that now unlike in the past they they have gained experience and would be able to meet some of menchov’s conditions (i never was able to learn what exactly where those conditions)

i completely agree with you, rabo was very good and loyal to him and he’d make a mistake imo leaving.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
in the long run, it's gesink. i am just speculating, but you would think Menchov would feel a tug to katusha due to his heritage and wanting cycling to become bigger in his country.

Of course it is Gesink in the long run (if he stays), he's Menchov's junior by quite a few years and Menchov is now in the latter part of his career.

You were initially speculating that the Dutch would want to see Gesink with (sole?) leadership at the cost of Menchov, I don't think that is the case. I think most realize that the two together would be sweet for the next 2 Tours or so, after which Menchov's age (form) would probably settle the leadership argument that never was.

This speculation I have a bit more time for, as it ultimately depends on what is in Menchov's head and how altruistic and nationalistic he feels. But he doesn't exactly give us a running commentary on what goes on in his head, so it's really speculation, "No?".

In this interview, he isn't talking about the state of cycling in Russia, only states that Katusha's management is solid. That sounds to me like he looks at what it can offer him first, not what he can offer Russian cycling. I suspect the patriotic pull isn't overly strong in Denis.

And Rabo is a known quantity to him, and a home he has been very happy with. If he does get a choice, it will come down to money, prospects and ambitions I think. With no clear answer as yet.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
There is one problem though.

Menchov himself mentioned that he wasn't even approached by anyone from Katyusha and he feels this is strange.

This corresponds with statements that both Katyusha and Russian Federation officials made where they said: "we [as in Russia] don't have a GT rider as of yet". It seems they don't really think of Menchov as of his own, which i think is really weird and extremely stupid, especially with Denis obviously expressing his interest.
________
Rohypnol rehab dicussion

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
python said:
the way i understood it, to summarize, all options are still open. he’d be happy to extend with rabo but is open to an offer from katusha (he praised them)

not in the article (but in the foreground) is the fact that katusha’s general manager very recently stated that they are always interested in him and that now unlike in the past they they have gained experience and would be able to meet some of menchov’s conditions (i never was able to learn what exactly where those conditions)

i completely agree with you, rabo was very good and loyal to him and he’d make a mistake imo leaving.

OK, I think we both read it the same way then. The way you phrased it made it sound to me like he was "leaning" a bit more than I got out of the article and overtures.

Menchov is no fool and I am sure that there would be a deal that would make him walk, but it would have to be a very good one. This sounds to me like a guy who is flagging to Rabo he is very happy and expects to stay, making sure he ain't rocking any happy boats. But at the same time is rational enough to see if Katusha's backers would be willing to put a crazy offer on the table, as they might just be daft enough to do it. His prize to fly the Russian flag won't be cheap I think, if you have Rabo "in the bag".

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Jos van Emden is the new Dutch champion Time Trial. He beat Moerenhout and Westra

Pre-race favorite Lars Boom was only 6th
Probably Boom focuses on the road race. Otherwise, his form is not really coming along very well for the Tour.

And Jos van Emden... what's up with this guy? All of a sudden he's Mister Unbeatable in TTs!

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
screaming fist said:
Gustav Larsson is the Swedish TT champ.
He won by two and a half minutes, 49,5 km/h average speed over a 50 km course. Sebastian Balck of Team Cykelcity.se was second and Fredrik Kessiakoff (Garmin-Transitions) was third.

Emilia Fahlin (HTC-Columbia) won the women's race.

@theyoungest:

According to Rabobank Boom's TT is possibly less because of the 3 weeks in Sierra Nevada, and this being to close to that. Same thing why Gesink wasn't good maybe.

But I find that a weird explanation by Rabobank. Because Grischa Niermann, who was also in Sierra Nevada, did his best TT in 5 years in the Tour de Suisse, only losing 1' to Cancellara :confused:

Before people think that RadioShack actually considers Horner, Klöden, and Leipheimer to be "slaves" or "servants", as the Cyclingnews front page implies: they don't. Cyclingnews have Google translated the Dutch word "knecht" as "slave", but in a cycling context it simply means "domestique".

It's getting a bit annoying, really, those translation errors.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
@theyoungest:

According to Rabobank Boom's TT is possibly less because of the 3 weeks in Sierra Nevada, and this being to close to that. Same thing why Gesink wasn't good maybe.

But I find that a weird explanation by Rabobank. Because Grischa Niermann, who was also in Sierra Nevada, did his best TT in 5 years in the Tour de Suisse, only losing 1' to Cancellara :confused:
Gesink's TT in the Dauphiné last year was OK, and that was also just after returning from the Sierra Nevada. Maybe someone's TT is a bit unstable after altitude training, which could explain why Boom did pretty well last week in Ster Elektro.

Marc de Maar will now ride for Curaçao (Dutch Antilles). He hopes to go to the World Championships in Melbourne and the Olympic Games in 2012 more easily this way.
His dad has a house on Curaçao, which is how he aquired the license.

The UCI already granted permission for this change.
De Maar will also ride the Antillian Championship.