• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2017 rumours - Il Centesimo

Page 30 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Dumoulin, Kruijswijk, Aru, Nibali, Chaves and Landa seem like safe bets. We'll have a decent field. Outside of Froome, Quintana and Contador no one important will be missing. I hope for an epic duel between Aru and Nibali, with the latter triumphing.

It's great that the Giro is doing both Sardinia and Sicilia because you just know the organisation is hoping for it to become a duel between the Sardinian and the Sicilian. Also great that they're doing the Etna, I have a soft spot for mountaintop finishes on Volcanoes. Only one mountain stage that finishes on a descent is a bit disappointing. The time trials are good, that should give Nibali an advantage over Aru. We'll have to see how well Dumoulin will climb though.

Overall the route is unambitious, but we already knew that by the fact that they're finishing it with a time trial in a city that has almost nothing to offer.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
What's the thoughts on the stage in the Dolomites? I think it could be an amazing stage if they are racing. On the other hand, it could also be pretty disastrous.
I feel like they managed to make something with less than 5% chance of being great, and 90% chance of being awful. Neither were necessary, and doing better should've been super easy.

Re: Re:

Red Rick said:
Valv.Piti said:
What's the thoughts on the stage in the Dolomites? I think it could be an amazing stage if they are racing. On the other hand, it could also be pretty disastrous.
I feel like they managed to make something with less than 5% chance of being great, and 90% chance of being awful. Neither were necessary, and doing better should've been super easy.

Thats probably a little too bleak tho, but I get you. Feel the same.

Helped by the fact that the 2 last stages aren't overly hard, this really could be raced from the start if the situation in the race allows. Lets hope.

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
Ashhutch97 said:
Gigs_98 said:
Meh

Edit:
And WTF is this? Be ashamed whoever is responsible for this:
17giro16-990x704.jpg
I really hope this is not true, if we dont get a Stelvio from prato for the 100th edition of the Giro im literally going to give up with this route.

I seriously don't get all the obsession with climbing Stelvio from Prato.
The only positive change these last days had, was the design of this stage TBH.
It is much more in favor of long-range attacks than the first alternative.
Stelvio from Prato is much more selective when raced as a descent than as a climb. Umbrail is much more selective when raced as a climb than as a descent. 2-0 in favor of the final profile. Case closed.

SafeBet said:
El Pistolero said:
Overall the route is unambitious, but we already knew that by the fact that they're finishing it with a time trial in a city that has almost nothing to offer.
Truly unfair to Milano. As much as I dislike it, there's plenty to see in this city even if you're not a fashion fanatic.
Usually the people who dislike Milan the most are the people from it :p

The centre is very grand though, especially the area around Brera. Are you from Milano Milano or just Milano? :p

SafeBet said:
El Pistolero said:
Truly unfair to Milano. As much as I dislike it, there's plenty to see in this city even if you're not a fashion fanatic.

Thats exactly the reaction he wants, straight up trolling right there.

Brullnux said:
Usually the people who dislike Milan the most are the people from it :p

The centre is very grand though, especially the area around Brera. Are you from Milano Milano or just Milano? :p
I'm from Sesto San Giovanni, different town but basically the same urban area. An ugly place that you will witness in the final ITT :)

And it's true that most people living in Milano can't appreciate the city. In fact, I'm one of them.

Sep 13, 2015
Visit site
Ataraxus said:
Ashhutch97 said:
Gigs_98 said:
Meh

Edit:
And WTF is this? Be ashamed whoever is responsible for this:
17giro16-990x704.jpg
I really hope this is not true, if we dont get a Stelvio from prato for the 100th edition of the Giro im literally going to give up with this route.

I seriously don't get all the obsession with climbing Stelvio from Prato.
The only positive change these last days had, was the design of this stage TBH.
It is much more in favor of long-range attacks than the first alternative.
Stelvio from Prato is much more selective when raced as a descent than as a climb. Umbrail is much more selective when raced as a climb than as a descent. 2-0 in favor of the final profile. Case closed.

Firstly, I was hoping for a stelvio from prato with a decent back to bormio, considering the umbrial decent back to bormio is the same from stelvio apart from an extra 5km, so it would be just as selective. It is also good for long range attacks because people can attack on the umbrail before then doing the stelvio becsuse there is the same amount of flat in between. So thats 0-0. And just look at some pictures of the stelvio from prato, having ridden it myself I can honestly say its the most incredible climb I have ever seen and its probably the most spectacular climb in any grand tour.
We have also had 2 stevios from bormio since 2012 and we haven't had stelvio from prato since 2005.
Case closed.

Valv.Piti said:
SafeBet said:
Confirmed Etna won't be climbed on the same road of 2011.

Edit: it's exactly the road I posted a few pages back.

Seems like it will create more gaps than expected. Not bad at all. Thats really the big plus about this route, the 2 first MTF's are very hard.
If Astana races this hard early on to potentially hurt Nibali right from the start we're spot on!

staubsauger said:
Valv.Piti said:
SafeBet said:

Seems like it will create more gaps than expected. Not bad at all. Thats really the big plus about this route, the 2 first MTF's are very hard.
If Astana races this hard early on to potentially hurt Nibali right from the start we're spot on!
Indeed, thats the best case. A Nibali losing a couple of minutes or 4 and peaking for the last week once again could really create a great spectacle on stage 16 and 18!

Valv.Piti said:
staubsauger said:
Valv.Piti said:
SafeBet said:

Indeed, thats the best case. A Nibali losing a couple of minutes or 4 and peaking for the last week once again could really create a great spectacle on stage 16 and 18!
Tbh that route has written Kruijswijk and especially Lopez - if he's ready for 3 weeks - written all over it imho! :cool:

TRENDING THREADS