• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia Stage 16: San Vigilio di Marebbe - Kronplatz (ITT) 12.9km

Page 26 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win the Kronplatz TT?

• Other, namely...

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
Actually every single stage he has proved the strongest, other then martin on stage 15, and it is a little easier being stronger when you have ridden easy for the majority of the race. Get your facts right.

And I'm not claiming he is anything out of this world, just that this giro has been great for his progress. I only expected a top 20 from the beginning. Try not to misread posts ;)

I must be mis-reading posts as well...:eek:

Come on... The last TT will be insignificant because we have Mortirolo and Gavia to come.

Whoever beats the other over those two stages will win, either Basso will be ahead of Evans by 1minute+ and out of reach, or Evans will be ahead or within a few seconds. Basso is definitely the favourite.

Massive credits to Arroyo though he is certainly no knockdown, I think Mortirolo may be the day he loses it. Porte is secured in White now and I can't see him finishing outside of the top 7 or 8.

If Evans had a strong team he could go for the win tomorrow and get the bonus, but not likely without it.

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
One things for sure, it's been an entertaining and unpredictable Giro. Anything can happen and both Basso and Evans will look for any crack in the armour in the final stages. Gaining 5-15 sec in any of the remaining stages could make a big difference in how the final ITT plays out.

Jun 16, 2009
www.oxygencycles.com
Zoncolan said:
Top 10 on GC:

1. Arroyo
2. Basso + 2:27
3. Porte + 2:36
4. Evans + 3:09
5. Sastre + 4:36
6. Nibali + 4:53
7. Vino + 5:12
8. Scarponi + 5:25
9. Kiserlovski + 8:57
10. Cunego + 9:13

CyclingNews have it as

1 David Arroyo Duran (Spa) Caisse d'Epargne 68:32:26
2 Richie Porte (Aus) Team Saxo Bank 0:02:27
3 Ivan Basso (Ita) Liquigas-Doimo 0:02:36
4 Carlos Sastre Candil (Spa) Cervelo Test Team 0:03:09
5 Cadel Evans (Aus) BMC Racing Team 0:04:36
6 Alexandre Vinokourov (Kaz) Astana 0:04:53
7 Vincenzo Nibali (Ita) Liquigas-Doimo 0:05:12
8 Michele Scarponi (Ita) Androni Giocattoli 0:05:25

Which I don't think adds up...

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Hey CN folks, I think you've got Sastre and Evans transposed on your results sheet. According to my calcs, the splits are right, just the wrong names

Moondance said:
In Mollema's defense, he'd be ahead of all of those guys if he had been with them in the attack on the L'Aquila stage. So in terms of pure climbing he's ahead of those three.

I believe after today's result, Porte is ahead of him even if you subtract the L'Aquila split.

But don't forget Mollema was sick!...

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
9000ft said:
One things for sure, it's been an entertaining and unpredictable Giro. Anything can happen and both Basso and Evans will look for any crack in the armour in the final stages. Gaining 5-15 sec in any of the remaining stages could make a big difference in how the final ITT plays out.

True liquigas should let a break go tommorow as the final climb won't split the race so evans could get a bonus there.

Apr 10, 2009
Visit site
I was really impressed with Evan's ride. He is really showing some tenacity this year, representing the stripes very well. I hope he ends up winning this thing. Great ride by Porte too. This really is a great Giro.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
slowoldman said:
I was really impressed with Evan's ride. He is really showing some tenacity this year, representing the stripes very well. I hope he ends up winning this thing. Great ride by Porte too. This really is a great Giro.

I don't think he was...Shake of head at the end.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
I must be mis-reading posts as well...:eek:
Please find a post where I expected more form his giro, in any of the giro threads during the race :)
Constantly I have suggested this race is about progress. Not everyone makes ludicrous claims about their heroes.

Making comments like "so and so had a great stage' doesn't make you a fanboy (i've made comments about evans this giro like that, and I can't stand him ;) )

Ferminal said:
Come on... The last TT will be insignificant because we have Mortirolo and Gavia to come.

Whoever beats the other over those two stages will win, either Basso will be ahead of Evans by 1minute+ and out of reach, or Evans will be ahead or within a few seconds. Basso is definitely the favourite.

Massive credits to Arroyo though he is certainly no knockdown, I think Mortirolo may be the day he loses it. Porte is secured in White now and I can't see him finishing outside of the top 7 or 8.

If Evans had a strong team he could go for the win tomorrow and get the bonus, but not likely without it.

I think both stage 17 and 19 could provide bonus seconds for evans. Therefore I expect liqui to let the breakaways last both days. BMC will have a hard time chasing. For sure Liquigas are in a tactical driver's seat.

Stage 20 they will try to destroy everyone I think.

Apr 10, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
I deleted that photo. It wasn't funny, at all. Anyone else posting it, or anything similar, will result in being banned.

This is a public forum that anyone can, and should be able to visit, including children. Use some common sense and decency, people.

Thank you.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Ferminal said:
I believe after today's result, Porte is ahead of him even if you subtract the L'Aquila split.

But don't forget Mollema was sick!...

yes. Porte also was a lot better on the Montalcino stage.
I think as an overall rider, he is better. But Mollema is the better climber.
Both very good riders :)

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
Please find a post where I expected more form his giro, in any of the giro threads during the race :)
Constantly I have suggested this race is about progress. Not everyone makes ludicrous claims about their heroes.

Making comments like "so and so had a great stage' doesn't make you a fanboy (i've made comments about evans this giro like that, and I can't stand him ;) )

I think both stage 17 and 19 could provide bonus seconds for evans. Therefore I expect liqui to let the breakaways last both days. BMC will have a hard time chasing. For sure Liquigas are in a tactical driver's seat.

Stage 20 they will try to destroy everyone I think.

19 will be a stage for gc as a break won't be able to hold off the favs over the mortirolo and aprica.

(Note to self: Keep baiting timmy and dutch friends)

Galic Ho said:
Me or you? Seriously...when has it happened? I'll believe it when I see it and no sooner. Stuff of fantasy until it happens. Like saying Vino will be the Astana no.1 at the Tour. Absolute nonsense until the inevitable becomes reality.

I expect that they put Menchov as leader, but Gesink will get a free role. If Menchov has to drop after the first serious attack on a mountain then I'm sure the Rabo management will tell Gesink to follow the attackers. If they force Gesink to work for Menchov while it's obvious Menchov isn't going to be top3 in the Tour then Rabo will get flamed big time in the Netherlands and they don't want that :)
Anyways. I don't expect Menchov to do all that great in the Tour since he never does that.

Latest posts