• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Is this considered doping???...

Green Tea

BANNED
Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
I was just wandering, If a rider took something synthetic, within WADA regulation which wasn't banned but could go towards increasing performance, taking something like creatine, Do you guys regard that to be doping???... Taking a synthetic substance (within WADA)?.

Its just that I found creatine to be the superior lactic acid buffer, compared to EPO & HGH, which incidentally did nothing to buffer the latic in my legs. My power outputs are greater when I use creatine.

I just find it strange as to why WADA would allow a synthetic substance to be allowed that has the superior quality over drugs most commonly used by cyclists that could get them banned.

Could we please have the UCI or WADA considering a ban please.

images

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Green Tea said:
I was just wandering, If a rider took something synthetic, within WADA regulation which wasn't banned but could go towards increasing performance, taking something like creatine, Do you guys regard that to be doping???... Taking a synthetic substance (within WADA)?.

Its just that I found creatine to be the superior lactic acid buffer, compared to EPO & HGH, which incidentally did nothing to buffer the latic in my legs. My power outputs are greater when I use creatine.

I just find it strange as to why WADA would allow a synthetic substance to be allowed that has the superior quality over drugs most commonly used by cyclists that could get them banned.

Creatine phosphate is a natural substance present in the cell mitochondria of humans and other animals. It is, I'm led to believe, composed of proteins and is a food supplement, therefore not a drug (however the WHO's definition of a drug could be seen to include foods - a subtance, when taken into the body, changes how that body functions.)

Green Tea

BANNED
Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
If I was Cancellara, I would choose creatine everytime as I found EPO to do nothing to buffer the lactic acid.

I mean, if a rider has the ability to buffer there latic acid more efficiently, doesn't that relate to better outputs?. Again, if VO2 wasn't the limiting factor to Cancellara's win in Roubaix, then creatine wins again.

Its strange why WADA would allow it?.
Being superior.

I don't believe Armstrong, Cancellara, Evans etc ever "doped".

But I believe there stunning performances could come via consuming creatine. Seems more plausible to me.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Green Tea said:
... creatine to be the superior lactic acid buffer, compared to EPO & HGH, which incidentally did nothing to buffer the latic in my legs.

What? EPO and HGH don't buffer anything. EPO stimulates the bone marrow to produce red blood cells... it doesn't buffer lactic acid.

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
I took a nutrition class in college and was told that creatine only increased max efforts such as sprinting or lifting, and didnt really have any affect on endurance or recovery.
Creatine is supposed to build up ATP in your body that can increase max efforts as in mark mcgwire home run hitting and not really endurance that would help you in stage races.

Green Tea

BANNED
Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
David Suro said:
If a substance is not banned, then using it is not considered 'doping'.

Then Cancellara?, Armstrong? etc are doing nothing illegal taking a superior supplement which buffers latic acid more effectively than EPO & still allowed.

Can't see riders risking a ban when there are better alternatives out there for riders to take advantage of.

Maybe you can, I can't.

Seems Cancellara is ahead of the game, more chance of seeing pigs fly & than him receiving a positive.

Why take EPO?, when buffering latic acid relates to greater power outputs (Cancellara)...

Strange one...

Green Tea

BANNED
Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
titleshot said:
I took a nutrition class in college and was told that creatine only increased max efforts such as sprinting or lifting, and didnt really have any affect on endurance or recovery.
Creatine is supposed to build up ATP in your body that can increase max efforts as in mark mcgwire home run hitting and not really endurance that would help you in stage races.

Then your being lied to. Either that or my power meter is giving me the worng info.

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
Green Tea said:
If I was Cancellara, I would choose creatine everytime as I found EPO to do nothing to buffer the lactic acid.

Not to be an a$$, but you are not Cancellara and I am sure he is well aware of legal and illegal means to boost performance, whether he uses them or not.

Green Tea said:
Then Cancellara?, Armstrong? etc are doing nothing illegal taking a superior supplement which buffers latic acid more effectively than EPO & still allowed.

I am confused. You seem to be implying you can not understand why some pro cyclists would not choose to use a product that you deem to be so effective. Was your experience tried and truly tested, under controlled circumstances, with repeatable criteria? Again, not to be an a$$, but it is lactic acid, not latic acid. This thread makes me chuckle.

Apr 17, 2009
Visit site
Green Tea said:

I mean, if a rider has the ability to buffer there latic acid more efficiently, doesn't that relate to better outputs?. Again, if VO2 wasn't the limiting factor to Cancellara's win in Roubaix, then creatine wins again.

Its strange why WADA would allow it?.
Being superior.

I don't believe Armstrong, Cancellara, Evans etc ever "doped".

But I believe there stunning performances could come via consuming creatine. Seems more plausible to me.

Mods Please Ban.

Green Tea

BANNED
Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Just seems strange thats all...

Why do EPO?.

I can promise you one thing, Armstrong, Cancellara etc will never test positive. They have better substances to do the job better, within WADA.

I reckon Armstrong has been doing the stuff for years... Hes certainly gonna blow the field away if no one else is supplementing it. What do they say about Armstrong?. Ability to clear lactic more than anyone else. Theres your answer, EPO won't achieve that quality over other legal substances, which means its overrated.

Green Tea

BANNED
Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Could we please have Greg LeMond mention this at his next rally.

We want creatine banning. Buffering lactic acid seems to be more effective at increasing cycling performance than enahncing VO2 (EPO). Why?

Higher VO2's at Roubaix than Cancellara, finishing outside the Top 50.

Can we start banning the drugs that matter please.

& stop putting great performances down to illegal drugs which riders would be foolish to wreck there reputations & livelihoods for.

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Ha
its all in the mind I have been trying to find something for the past 50 years but nothing works.

Cretain is another myth well documented it dont work you may think it dose but realty is it dose nothing except make you gain waight and retain water.
Good training plan to suite you not someone else is what you need.

None of the substances mentioned in this thread have any blood lactate buffering qualities whatsoever. Furthermore recent research has shown that elevated lactic acid levels in the blood during exercise are actually beneficial to performance. Therefore any attempt to buffer lactic acid is useless.

MikeyClark

BANNED
Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
BikeCentric said:
recent research has shown that elevated lactic acid levels in the blood during exercise are actually beneficial to performance. Therefore any attempt to buffer lactic acid is useless.

That seems almost as unlikely as creatine being the secret super drug of all the top pros. There must be a catch, like you need to lactate once during a hard ride in order for the muscle balance to work. Something like that. But flooding the muscle with lactate time and again is certainly not good.

Green Tea

BANNED
Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Some of you guys are funny to me.

One of the reasons Lance Armstrong has been so great, fast & powerful is due to "his low levels" of lactic acid build-up during a race over other riders & his ability to achieve 110 RPM. FACT.

I really do hope they ban & make a stand against creatine sometime soon. When lactic is buffered like this, riders can find a perfect blend it results in massive power outputs at any point during a stage/race. Riders can simply go with one max effort & maintain it (buffer). Again, since EPO would do nothing for burning lactic, the increase in output wouldn't be so considerable.

Seeing Cancellara in Mendriso. His thighs were huge, they were loaded with something. EPO wouldn't have that effect on building thighs like that. Creatine blends are getting more & more advanced.

I just cannot understand why the UCI allow it. The advanced rider with the advanced blends are just going to keep riding away. Where seeing greater outputs now due to the supplements on offer that the UCI & WADA allow.

MikeyClark said:
That seems almost as unlikely as creatine being the secret super drug of all the top pros. There must be a catch, like you need to lactate once during a hard ride in order for the muscle balance to work. Something like that. But flooding the muscle with lactate time and again is certainly not good.

If that is true, pregnant women would have a huge advantage.

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
Willy_Voet said:
I can't figure out if Green Tea is a troll, or completely clueless.

This may merit a poll...

Wonders the same thing. I feel like a farkin idiot for responding to a couple of its (he/she/troll's) posts.

TRENDING THREADS