• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Jakob Fuglsang discussion thread

Page 18 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

tobydawq said:
Cance, I found an even better pattern:

Ruta del Sol - 1
Strade - 2
Tirreno - 3
Itzulia - 4
Amstel - 3
FW - 2

There is only one outcome on Sunday.
Well, it has been decided then.

In all seriousness, LBL is a difficult race, where not only the legs will matter, so I'm not expecting anything on sunday. If cycling was only about power in the legs, Fuglsang would have won a lot more this season.

Olympics, Worlds, Lombardia should all be possible when he is in this kind of shape. He has proven he has the capacity to flat out just be the strongest on the hardest parcours in the longest of races which probably always will be his best ability.

Lets see what happens in the Tour, but he finally got a really big win (Dauphine is big as well obviously).

Re:

OlavEH said:
What at great, great win for Jakob! So deserved! And what a way he did. Just completely destroying all his competitors. Probably the best performance I've seen in LBL the 15 years I've followed the race.
Its basically the same Andy Schleck did. Andy just rode away easily on the first part, caught a gassed Gilbert and dropped him easily and won very comfortably where as Jacob made the selection on the first part and then proceeded to kill the rest on the second part. Dno which one is best effort.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Olympics, Worlds, Lombardia should all be possible when he is in this kind of shape. He has proven he has the capacity to flat out just be the strongest on the hardest parcours in the longest of races which probably always will be his best ability.

Lets see what happens in the Tour, but he finally got a really big win (Dauphine is big as well obviously).
He shouldn't go for GC's in the Tour anymore. 6th/ 7th place is the best he can do. He should go stagehunting and perhaps take the polka dot.

That moment when you realise Fuglsang is older than Andy Schleck

file.php

Re:

Velolover2 said:
I doubt he will podium the Tour. Too many long, high mountains without the steep gradients. But I could see him do the double (Liege-Lombardia)..

Lombardia suits him even better than Liege.
Did you see him descend today?

I don't think Lombardia suits him better. More competition from top climbers in that race.

Most satisfactory to watch Jakob today. He really is a leader of the gang, like Laurens posited in the rap video.

The race today reminded me a bit of RVV 2013, where the situation pre-race was also that if Fabian could drop Sagan he would most likely win, just like Jakob needed to drop Alaphilippe today and then he would most likely win. In the end, it was not the most exciting race to watch, but it felt very satisfactory to finally watch it come together for a rider whose talent is bigger than what his palmares says.

I think you could argue Fuglsang has been the strongest rider of this spring, even stronger than Julian Alaphilippe and I guess you can include Van der Poel and Yates if you like to. Alaphilippe has more big wins, but Fuglsang has just been incredibly consistent and purely from a physiological standpoint I think today's race showed just that - that he has been the best. The race just needed to be hard enough.

That is pretty incredible to think about. I mean, we are talking about Fuglsang, a rider who is notoriously known for always being one of the better riders, but never really winning big.

Re: Re:

Red Rick said:
Velolover2 said:
I doubt he will podium the Tour. Too many long, high mountains without the steep gradients. But I could see him do the double (Liege-Lombardia)..

I don't think Lombardia suits him better. More competition from top climbers in that race.

He is usually pretty good downhill. An odd zip like that can happen for everyone, especially when you are racing for a Monument. :D

He can go long range and it's on climbs like Muro di Sormano where he really could shine.

Civiglio isnt an all that bad climb for Jacob either. But Il Lombardia is somewhat of an forgotten monument and you could think after such an amazing (and hard spring) along with another huge peak in July that its pretty hard to go to Italy in October and race for the win.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Civiglio isnt an all that bad climb for Jacob either. But Il Lombardia is somewhat of an forgotten monument and you could think after such an amazing (and hard spring) along with another huge peak in July that its pretty hard to go to Italy in October and race for the win.
Late season is usually pretty funky with year end peaks being pretty short usually.

Really there is so much potential to fill the calendar with great one day races after the Tour in my opinion

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
I think you could argue Fuglsang has been the strongest rider of this spring, even stronger than Julian Alaphilippe and I guess you can include Van der Poel and Yates if you like to. Alaphilippe has more big wins, but Fuglsang has just been incredibly consistent and purely from a physiological standpoint I think today's race showed just that - that he has been the best. The race just needed to be hard enough.

That is pretty incredible to think about. I mean, we are talking about Fuglsang, a rider who is notoriously known for always being one of the better riders, but never really winning big.

Ive really enjoyed fuglsang this year, but I do have some mixed feelings. The guy has always been goid, but never ever nearly as dominant as now.
How is that possible? He turned 34 after over 10 years in the pro peloton and all of the sudden he is strongest guy in the bunch.

I understand that form is an strange beast, but ...

Ps I was rooting for him and Nibali today.

Kwibus said:
Valv.Piti said:

Ive really enjoyed fuglsang this year, but I do have some mixed feelings. The guy has always been goid, but never ever nearly as dominant as now.
How is that possible? He turned 34 after over 10 years in the pro peloton and all of the sudden he is strongest guy in the bunch.

I understand that form is an strange beast, but ...

Ps I was rooting for him and Nibali today.

He took some rap lessons, all of Astana have taken rap to a whole new dimension. Great win though.

Red Rick said:
Velolover2 said:

Wet ground, a funky patch, and exhausted...he did better than most would have.

Red Rick said:
Valv.Piti said:
Late season is usually pretty funky with year end peaks being pretty short usually.

Really there is so much potential to fill the calendar with great one day races after the Tour in my opinion

Back in theWorld Cup days there were the 1st 5 classics (the 4 spring monuments + Amstel) and then a couple months of stage races, and then another 5-6 classics (San Sebastian, England, Montreal, Zurich, Paris-Tours, Lombardia) and some years a TT for a "World Cup Final" thrown in.

Of course, then they had to go and move the Vuelta to the autumn and screw that all up.

TRENDING THREADS