• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

JV talks, sort of

Page 200 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
For a guy who has been boasting about a cleanER sport and taking lots of the praise, while flashing his MBA, all he can say is "I dont know", pretty inarticulate from a guy who fancies his articulateness......
Thats amusing.
You say he "boasts" about how cycling is cleaner, and then dismiss his "I don't know" tweet.
That is quite a big change from his previous positions.

cyclocosm reminds us

“Listen, I still think Sky is the strongest team in the Tour, absolutely. But I think the difference that people will see in our team and Sky, and even a team like Movistar, or Saxo Bank, and Sky, I think those differences will be considerably smaller than they have been at the other races.”
— Jonathan Vaughters, 11 days ago.

Fair play to Vaughters for admitting his surprise rather than changing his opinion like others would do.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
Thats amusing.
You say he "boasts" about how cycling is cleaner, and then dismiss his "I don't know" tweet.
That is quite a big change from his previous positions.

He has just had a dirty sport re-served in his face. He could at least acknowledge it with more than 'I dont know', may i suggest, "that did not look good" or "I no longer believe"......

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
He has just had a dirty sport re-served in his face. He could at least acknowledge it with more than 'I dont know', may i suggest, "that did not look good" or "I no longer believe"......
Maybe, he said "I don't know.." because he, you know, doesn't know? Crazy right?

You were stating that JV boasts that the sport is cleanER - may I suggest you acknowledge that it is a very big departure from him to now say he doesn't know?

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
Maybe, he said "I don't know.." because he, you know, doesn't know? Crazy right?

You were stating that JV boasts that the sport is cleanER - may I suggest you acknowledge that it is a very big departure from him to now say he doesn't know?

But Doc, JV is on the inside, ya know, he knows, if you know what i mean so it aint cool for JV to say 'i dont know', ya know........................

Benotti69 said:
But Doc, JV is on the inside, ya know, he knows, if you know what i mean so it aint cool for JV to say 'i dont know', ya know........................

Give him a break..what else do you want him to say...
he doesn't know..really! He has no idea where the heck Team Sky is heading..
outerspace maybe but it's not JV's fault

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
Some people sure have rose coloured glasses on.

"I don't know" is exactly the same as no comment.

Yet somehow, it gets turned into a "massive shift in his position that the peloton is cleaner".

Good. Grief.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:

But a couple of months ago he was bragging about how he wrote a paper back in 2001 or something where he called out superhuman w/kg performances.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Benotti69 said:

He is on the inside, of his team.
Do you think that if Sky (or any other team) are doping that they are going to share that info with people?

Benotti69 said:

By what right do you claim to speak for him? JV is his own person and he can tell us himself what he knows and what he thinks.

JV just gave the biggest concession to the clinic that you will ever get from a DS. What are you complaining about?

May 26, 2010
Visit site
mewmewmew13 said:
Give him a break..what else do you want him to say...
he doesn't know..really! He has no idea where the heck Team Sky is heading..
outerspace maybe but it's not JV's fault

Ashenden spoke of the dark era not being over and JV wouldn't discuss it in here. He was asked about it and said the peloton was getting cleanER, well today that bubble burst and 'I dont know' aint acceptable to me. I said so.

Others can decide for themselves.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Dear Wiggo said:
Some people sure have rose coloured glasses on.

"I don't know" is exactly the same as no comment.

Yet somehow, it gets turned into a "massive shift in his position that the peloton is cleaner".

Good. Grief.

Benottis point was that JV boasted that the peloton is cleaner, since JV is meant to be the PR King on clean cycling we should have expected him to say that today was completely normal, nothing to see here.

But he didn't....

Dr. Maserati said:
Benottis point was that JV boasted that the peloton is cleaner, since JV is meant to be the PR King on clean cycling we should have expected him to say that today was completely normal, nothing to see here.

But he didn't....

ok..from that viewpoint I can see where you're headed benotti....but JV is human..and he may be speechless at what he witnessed today also
I would give him some credit for needing to process and make a statement that is not careless

cheers

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Let's say for argument sake Froome's time was a lot further down the list from Laiseka's and Armstrong's time and someone tweeted this to JV. From his posting we know around here, he would have acknowledged it by saying it was signs of encouragement. It's what he has said when judging other performances like that in the past. Yet in this case he is tweeted that it was the 3rd quickest, only behind the above 2 mentioned already and responded with "I just don't know" comment. That's the telling part in all this.

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
I'm not going to blame JV for being circumspect. Anyway "I don't know" is not the same as no comment irrespective of what people of limited English comprehension say.

I would be interested in what he had to say about why AC is so bad without the juice or AV is better.

May 14, 2010
Visit site
JV works from the inside. IMO, it's ridiculous to expect him to talk like an activist outsider while he is inside. That just would not work. If he goes too far off the reservation, he won't be allowed back in. Guaranteed.

"I don't know" spoken in public by him is about as far as he can go, especially in the midst of the Tour. Now, on the other hand, his compatriot, Miller, is proclaiming the cleanliness of Sky for anyone who will listen. So, who knows, maybe "I don't know" really is a cop out.

I don't know. :D

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
Ashenden spoke of the dark era not being over and JV wouldn't discuss it in here. He was asked about it and said the peloton was getting cleanER, well today that bubble burst and 'I dont know' aint acceptable to me. I said so.

Others can decide for themselves.

Just like the Lance thing, if he knew and didn't say anything he's part of the problem. Insider and keeping it under warps or even not exposing what is obvious, then its back to 1999 and all that he has supposedly done goes back to square one.

Keeping a tight lip and eating it just like in 1999 is also an equal problem, so much for moving forward and having change.

Supposedly can't say anything? Bringing up the obvious data should get some attention to the event at the very least and it doesn't hurt anyone, the data is out there and we are seeing it.

Or is this the real miracle? :rolleyes:

JV is either carrying the suitcase for the new era of cycling or the money bags of the past.

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
ElChingon said:
JV is either carrying the suitcase for the new era of cycling or the money bags of the past.
Or he doesn't know. Today's events are only going to dismay people who are advocates of a cleaner era purely on appearances alone irrespective of the facts. They even felt the need to comment on it on the TV when Froome was on the podium.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
Ashenden spoke of the dark era not being over and JV wouldn't discuss it in here.
That's actually being generous on your part (as is your reputation:D)

JV went as far to suggest that Ashenden wasn't even in a position to know. Still trying to come to terms with that one.

(Will dig up link when I have the time)

May 27, 2012
Visit site
gooner said:
What do you expect him to say?

It's OK for anyone on the forum to say the above but what more can he say in his current position.

I think the "I just don't know" comment is telling enough of how he's currently thinking.

Agree with this post completely. JV is not in a position to make outright statements about doping in another team by another rider. His tweet says everything he could say, and I'd say that it was more provocative than you could expect from any other DS in a public forum.

I know it isn't popular to say this on this thread, but JV is not one of the bad guys.

TRENDING THREADS