• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

JV talks, sort of

Page 299 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
GJB123 said:
Oil for drugs was 2003. But I guess in your book once a thief is always a thief. That seems to be the prevailing thought with the usual suspects in the Clinic.

I am not one of your 'usual suspects' and the moral standpoint on what Guidi did and whether he has duly paid for it is, with regard to hiring policy, immaterial.

What I am suggesting is that, in my opinion, Guidi's particular history makes him a different sort of hire to those who have admitted and cooperated. As far as we are aware, Guidi has done neither. If he has since done so, then all the better, but for the moment that is what makes him different to others among G-C's roster: he has a known history but he is not 'out' about it.

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
L'arriviste said:
I am not one of your 'usual suspects' and the moral standpoint on what Guidi did and whether he has duly paid for it is, with regard to hiring policy, immaterial.

What I am suggesting is that, in my opinion, Guidi's particular history makes him a different sort of hire to those who have admitted and cooperated. As far as we are aware, Guidi has done neither. If he has since done so, then all the better, but for the moment that is what makes him different to others among G-C's roster: he has a known history but he is not 'out' about it.

FWIW, this was entirely evident in your post and required no further explanation.

Benotti69 said:
Vaughter's silence is deafening.

I believe he’s just trying to reconcile how a formally dirty but now clean Hesjedal beat an entire field of Italian charged Ferrari’s.

Then how a track rider won the 2012 Tour and a guy who used to hang onto motorbike going uphill decided to ride faster than Lance.

Crazy adaptive physiology injected intravenously. Believe it not...!

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
thehog said:
I believe he’s just trying to reconcile how a formally dirty but now clean Hesjedal beat an entire field of Italian charged Ferrari’s.

Then how a track rider won the 2012 Tour and a guy who used to hang onto motorbike going uphill decided to ride faster than Lance.

Crazy adaptive physiology injected intravenously. Believe it not...!

He knew...
Not fully...
Yes, fully!

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Still not a peep from JV, nor David Millar nor other 'super clean team' riders!

I would've thought they would be incredulous with rage that this is dragging the sport they love through the mud again after them dedicating their lives to anti doping.

Yes, the more the silence, the more it points to what i always thought, nothing changed.

For doping no longer to be part of the fabric of the sport would take a monumantal tsunami of change to wash through it taking most if not all the enablers out of the sport. That has not and more than likely will never happen.

Stop selling the snakeoil now JV. No one is going to buy it after this latest debacle.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Benotti69 said:

I would've thought they would be incredulous with rage that this is dragging the sport they love through the mud again after them dedicating their lives to anti doping.

Yes, the more the silence, the more it points to what i always thought, nothing changed.

For doping no longer to be part of the fabric of the sport would take a monumantal tsunami of change to wash through it taking most if not all the enablers out of the sport. That has not and more than likely will never happen.

Stop selling the snakeoil now JV. No one is going to buy it after this latest debacle.

Jonathan Vaughters ‏@Vaughters 28 Jul 2012

Chapeau to Vino.

:D.........

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Benotti69 said:

DM is probably nursing a hangover and is JV up and about yet, give him a chance to have his morning coffee first.

Vaughters tweet:

"At this point, if I'm UCI license commission, I drop Astana to Pro-Conti. This would very likely get overturned in CAS, but you gotta try."

Good if we can all agree that Vino is the bad guy in this. The rest of the team leaders on the WT are just fine.

Samson777 said:
Vaughters tweet:

"At this point, if I'm UCI license commission, I drop Astana to Pro-Conti. This would very likely get overturned in CAS, but you gotta try."

Good if we can all agree that Vino is the bad guy in this. The rest of the team leaders on the WT are heroes and patriots..

Oh wait, this reminds me of:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlr0pjNLIDI

Not being funy but Vino was caught, came back and now there is proof of him working with Ferrari again. The team he is now head of has 14 riders past or present connected in some form with Ferrari during that 08-11 period. His Pro Team/Continetal team have had 5 positive tests in recent times.

What other team or individual even comes near that record?....well apart from Katusha.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
ralphbert said:
I thought vino was working with Fuentes? That's what the secret race indicated

Fuentes got popped and unlike Ferrari, it appears stopped working....or only stayed working with sports (football) where he was safe.

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
http://cyclingtips.com.au/2014/12/steele-von-hoff-i-was-just-a-victim-of-the-game/

Really how is Garmin different from other teams re the pressure to dope to keep your job? How is JV getting this image as some sort of new age clean cycling/business guru?

The teams were merging and he knew full well some athletes would loose their jobs and what was done. Not just nothing, but actually stringing a rider along. Strange to me this "ethos" at Slipstream.

Sponsors come and go, teams fold its part of the business of procycling. How one deals with the tough situations reflects on the integrity of the teams leadership. Guess JV was too busy trimming his nose hairs for photoshootings to ask one of his staff to do something along the lines that Bauer did when his team folded.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/bauer-working-to-place-riders-in-wake-of-spidertech-decision

pmcg76 said:
What other team or individual even comes near that record?....well apart from Katusha.

This is a good question.

We know athletes are demoted and blacklisted.

How many teams has the UCI tried to demote over the years?
-Katusha
-Astana
-Pre-Astana Astana. I can't remember that team's name. Any other Puerto demotions?

Did Festina just evaporate after the disclosures?

There must be more. My memory is terrible on these details.

westerner said:
http://cyclingtips.com.au/2014/12/steele-von-hoff-i-was-just-a-victim-of-the-game/

Really how is Garmin different from other teams re the pressure to dope to keep your job? How is JV getting this image as some sort of new age clean cycling/business guru?

The teams were merging and he knew full well some athletes would loose their jobs and what was done. Not just nothing, but actually stringing a rider along. Strange to me this "ethos" at Slipstream.

Sponsors come and go, teams fold its part of the business of procycling. How one deals with the tough situations reflects on the integrity of the teams leadership. Guess JV was too busy trimming his nose hairs for photoshootings to ask one of his staff to do something along the lines that Bauer did when his team folded.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/bauer-working-to-place-riders-in-wake-of-spidertech-decision

This seems to be nothing new for JV. A lot of guys have left or been cut from that team feeling very ****ed at the way things were handled. In fact there seem to be very few who leave Garmin on great terms and that is something I have heard from numerous sources.

However, on the flip side even though a lot of guys have felt very ****ed at how they were treated, there has been no surfacing of stories of doping at Garmin. You would think that if it was happening, some of those ****ed-off ex-riders would be talking even a bit to mates or whoever. Many of them dropped down to Continetal level so its not like they can fall much further. Why would they feel the need to protect JV or his team? So far all we have had was Trent Lowe and his failed attempt at blackmail which hardly amounts to much.

Perhaps in a cruel irony, perhaps by not telling riders there jobs are on the line, they are actually negating the temptation to dope as historically one of the big reasons for riders doping was when they were coming toward the end of a contract and felt they needed results. How many times in the past have riders sudenly produced end of season results when their contract was up for renewal.

It is poor, poor form to leave riders in limbo but maybe there is a Machivallian reasoning behind it.

TRENDING THREADS