• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Motor doping thread

Page 192 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I was eating Alphabetti spaghetti last night and if I picked the letters out carefully it spelled out this message: "motors are commonplace". I wish I'd taken a photograph as I know the Kool-Aid-drinking skepthicks round here won't believe me, but it's true, true I tell you.

Sciatic said:
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/17/well/move/a-device-that-makes-running-faster-and-easier.html

Not motorized yet, but would be easy to include system sending electrical impulses to specific muscle groups to make it even more “efficient.”
Isn't this largely what toe-traps/clip-in pedals - c19th inventions - already do in cycling?

I was chatting with @ewonsprokler on twitter.

he says Landis didnt speak about motors, in the Benson interview.

I replied, why a broken man, no money, no wife, destroyed, father in law killed himself, no future, didnt talk about motors if he wanted to bring and crush diown Lance.
he had nothing to lose

show us the motors Floyd!

I don't know how relevant this is but I have a co-worker who has a motor in his BMX bike. It is in his frame but you can't tell it is there because it isn't a bulkier frame than other BMX bikes. Without pedaling he is able to go around 10-20mph depending on the terrain with just the motor. He doesn't have a switch to activate it, he just has to hold the pedals at a 90 degree angle for 3 seconds and it turns on/off. It also doesn't make any noticeable noise but you csn definitely feel the heat when you touch the frame.

Soooo: a Swiss publication is claiming that riders around Pogacar are hearing a motor in his rear hub. Has the UCI xrayed the rear hubs yet? They weigh the bikes to be sure that they are heavy enough so is TP's bike heavier than everyone else?

You are welcome to scroll up through this thread to see how many times I question rear hub motors that fit in standard size shells. Sure, in a dinner plate size hub, but in a Campy hub? So the gear from a watch are strong enough to add 50-100 w?!

I can't wait for the dude with the thermal cameras to pop up again!

I still don't like the title of this thread because its not 'doping', but whatever...

Last edited:
Reactions: topt
Soooo: a Swiss rag is claiming that riders around Pogacar are hearing a motor in his rear hub. Has the UCI xrayed the rear hubs yet? They weigh the bikes to be sure that they are heavy enough so is TP's bike heavier than everyone else?

You are welcome to scroll up through this thread to see how many times I question rear hub motors that fit in standard size shells. Sure, in a dinner plate size hub, but in a Campy hub? So the gear from a watch are strong enough to add 50-100 w?!

I still don't like the title of this thread because its not 'doping', but whatever...
ha ha ha, now this is what I am talking about, oh man thank for this

Has the UCI xrayed the rear hubs yet? They weigh the bikes to be sure that they are heavy enough so is TP's bike heavier than everyone else?
Oh come on, you know they they do more than weight the damn things, stop being silly.

UCI's latest release on the subject:
A total of 720 tests have been conducted before and after every stage. All tests have come back negative.

Of the tests carried out, 606 were conducted on bikes before the start of each stage using magnetic scanning tablets. Meanwhile X-ray technology was used to test another 114 bikes at the end of each stage.

The UCI underlines that the post-stage testing pool always includes the bike ridden by the winner of that day’s stage as well as the leader of the general classification. The remainder of the post-stage testing pool is decided on a two-pronged approach: bikes selected by the UCI based on its information and intelligence, and bikes ridden by athletes selected for targeted anti-doping controls by the International Testing Agency (ITA), the independent body in charge of the UCI’s anti-doping activities.

Oh come on, you know they they do more than weight the damn things, stop being silly.

UCI's latest release on the subject:
Uhm, I mention xray and weighing, I'm not sure why that is silly. They also use the ipad app, would that be silly to mention as well? The reason that many were sure that Sky was using motors is because there was a rumor that their bikes were heavier, hence why I posed that question (somewhat seriously and somewhat tongue in cheek).

EDIT Look at that, they xrayed 114 bikes. I'm silly, they're silly... :rolleyes:

Soooo: a Swiss rag is claiming that riders around Pogacar are hearing a motor in his rear hub. Has the UCI xrayed the rear hubs yet? They weigh the bikes to be sure that they are heavy enough so is TP's bike heavier than everyone else?

He is only 5% better than the others. If the others are at 6.2 w/kg, then he is at 6.5 w/kg. That gives a power of ~ 20 w only. As of now people are suspecting the bike but what if it is something that he can carry with him. that way he cannot be caught. After all something was removed from evenepoel's pocket.

Reactions: jmdirt
Sounds pretty ridiculous to me, the lengths at which some will go...imagine being super gifted and clean and having to deal with this crap!

Imagine all of the professionals you see at big races being doped to some extend.
It is abit like F1. The teams that "cheat" or "gets the better tech made" are often the teams that wins... well that and the fact some are "protected" more than others. Its how sports are, its nothing new and not just cycling.

There have been countless stories about young youth talents in cycling here (and other sports as well) that has been "persuaded" to agree to various types of doping to be accepted into the elite... its just how it is. Is motor cheating a thing, I don´t know tbh. But it would be a hell of an invention tbh and if they nailed it, then I would go as far as to applaud those that made it (for their creativity and skill) but from a cycling angle, it would put down the interest even more than it already is and hurt it beyond redemption.. Doping atleast can be manipulated by all (even those that are supposed to opposite ofc)

I dare say, that the only one that should fear anything is the Russians, they sure are the modern day scapegoat of the obvious doping and tech cheating, that everybody does.

He is only 5% better than the others. If the others are at 6.2 w/kg, then he is at 6.5 w/kg. That gives a power of ~ 20 w only. As of now people are suspecting the bike but what if it is something that he can carry with him. that way he cannot be caught. After all something was removed from evenepoel's pocket.
OK, 20 W (plus the watts that the rider is pushing) still can't happen in the small space inside of a rear hub.

OK, its something on the rider (in their jersey pocket), how is it getting power to the drivetrain?

It's obvious that there is motor doping going on and some teams are better at it than others.

We watch the sport for entertainment and cheating is part of the sport (and the entertainment).

It's one thing if people wish to exercise a suspension of disbelief in order to enjoy the show but quite another when people make the "holier than thou" statements claiming that they couldn't possibly be cheating.

Let's enjoy cycling for what it is, a show. They use wires in theater too but no one throws a hissy fit when people claim that the actors can't really fly.

Reactions: TMJ and jmdirt
Imagine all of the professionals you see at big races being doped to some extend.
It is abit like F1. The teams that "cheat" or "gets the better tech made" are often the teams that wins... well that and the fact some are "protected" more than others. Its how sports are, its nothing new and not just cycling.

There have been countless stories about young youth talents in cycling here (and other sports as well) that has been "persuaded" to agree to various types of doping to be accepted into the elite... its just how it is. Is motor cheating a thing, I don´t know tbh. But it would be a hell of an invention tbh and if they nailed it, then I would go as far as to applaud those that made it (for their creativity and skill) but from a cycling angle, it would put down the interest even more than it already is and hurt it beyond redemption.. Doping atleast can be manipulated by all (even those that are supposed to opposite ofc)

I dare say, that the only one that should fear anything is the Russians, they sure are the modern day scapegoat of the obvious doping and tech cheating, that everybody does.
Its pretty certain that seat tube/BB motors saw some 'testing' in the pro platoon, and we can all buy one. Hub motors in a standard hub shell are an entirely different thing. Unless I missed it, no one has shown a concept let alone a working model yet (some sketches, yes...).

It's obvious that there is motor doping going on and some teams are better at it than others.

We watch the sport for entertainment and cheating is part of the sport (and the entertainment).

It's one thing if people wish to exercise a suspension of disbelief in order to enjoy the show but quite another when people make the "holier than thou" statements claiming that they couldn't possibly be cheating.

Let's enjoy cycling for what it is, a show. They use wires in theater too but no one throws a hissy fit when people claim that the actors can't really fly.

Some of us rather not have the cheats. Because then we might as well just take away some getting caugh and some protected, then just allow anything..
If we don´t play by atleast some simple rules, then what do we have but anarki ?

There are plenty of examples of more low key cycling without doping and such, that are actually a lot more tactical. But you are right about that entertainment has become keyword.. everything is turning into some Americanised version of sports (that is just entertainment and buy success)

Maybe that is what some want, but then I can find plenty of other stuff to do, like taking a lovely bikeride myself and watching sport that does not allow this. Again if people expect and are certain about both regular doping and motor cheat, then why hide it and protect some.. let it come out in the open then.

TRENDING THREADS