• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Quintana??

Page 28 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
More interesting than UCI rule minutia is was it Team Dr or self-prescribed? That will open the team up to French law potentially. I never felt comfortable after the team at last years Tour allowed Quintana to use his personal Dr in Colombia instead of the Team Dr, always seemed a weird setup. I mean some riders like e.g. Nibali bring their Dr to the new team with them, but at least they're staff and not just flying in for Le Tour for 3 weeks.

Really strange one, as mentioned the usage was widespread amongst big teams like SKY and Rabo a few years back and was outright admitted to be in use, Wiggo himself told Dan Roan in his BBC interview yeah we used to use it for training.

It's very well publicised to be banned and as far as I know easily detectable, so what's his doctor doing, surely they aren't this amateur? Maybe because his team is MPCC they had to subvert getting a Cortico TUE as they would usually do.

New contract yesterday so something odd with that timing as well maybe.

More interesting than UCI rule minutia is was it Team Dr or self-prescribed? That will open the team up to French law potentially. I never felt comfortable after the team at last years Tour allowed Quintana to use his personal Dr in Colombia instead of the Team Dr, always seemed a weird setup. I mean some riders like e.g. Nibali bring their Dr to the new team with them, but at least they're staff and not just flying in for Le Tour for 3 weeks.
Could tramadol have something to do with his outliner performances on some mtfs/mountain stages at Arkea and his apparent lack of recovery? Maybe fueling up with lots of tramadol on the big days explains some of his big watts explosions at Arkea.

Reactions: Lui98 and Koronin
Really strange one, as mentioned the usage was widespread amongst big teams like SKY and Rabo a few years back and was outright admitted to be in use, Wiggo himself told Dan Roan in his BBC interview yeah we used to use it for training.

It's very well publicised to be banned and as far as I know easily detectable, so what's his doctor doing, surely they aren't this amateur? Maybe because his team is MPCC they had to subvert getting a Cortico TUE as they would usually do.

New contract yesterday so something odd with that timing as well maybe.
Self medication by him or his doctor because the team doesn't allow him to get TUEs sounds like the most plausible option to me.

Self medication by him or his doctor because the team doesn't allow him to get TUEs sounds like the most plausible option to me.
Arkea refuses to use the TUE system? First I've heard of that. Even the MPCC allow TUEs. Saying that, the stigma of using them is probably enough to send riders to break rules instead or go home. I think last year, UCI only issued 9 TUEs in total.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
I think this an echo positive from a transfusion. No rider is stupid enough to use an easily detectable drug on a day you are likely to be tested. He was probably using it during training where it is permitted, and it didn't clear his system by the time he extracted blood. He reinfused the blood before those key stages and it still had tramadol in it. Just my opinion....

The
I think they only refuse to let riders compete while they have a TUE.
That's only for MPCC members taking corticosteroids, they have to take 8 days out of competition before returning with a cortisol level above minimum allowed. I don't think there's any evidence Tramadol is used as a replacement for Corticosteorids in those 8 days. Besides UCI also require 8 days now too iirc.

I think this an echo positive from a transfusion. No rider is stupid enough to use an easily detectable drug on a day you are likely to be tested. He was probably using it during training where it is permitted, and it didn't clear his system by the time he extracted blood. He reinfused the blood before those key stages and it still had tramadol in it. Just my opinion....
Tbh, that seems almost more plausible to me as well than to randomly popping a prohibited, easily detectable pill on days where its indeed likely to be tested.

TRENDING THREADS