• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Race Thread

Page 205 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
It seems mostly Thibau Nys that is being complained about for skipping the races. There hasn't really been any mention of the fact Van der Haar plans to not ride Dublin or Val di Sole, and then not really anything at all about how Van Anrooij, Pieterse and Van Empel are all skipping World Cups. I guess whereas those 3 in the womens side are also missing the other big series races, Van der Haar will probably race in Kortrijk*, although maybe not Essen.

If it happens, where do you draw a line? It would pretty much rule out all north american riders as most in Waterloo were not in Maasmechelen. Last year the KNWU (and I think also Belgian cycling) mixed it up quite a bit with the selection of lower ranked riders for different races, so do those then not get to compete further in WCs and World Championships? Then those who can't afford to travel to every round, do they also get struck off the list. Would this apply to the U23 ranks as well with some U23 riders riding up with the Elites in races like today when there wasn't a specific U23 WC? And someone like Vanthourenhout today who was going to start but pulled out after issues from yesterday. Before long you have a field of maybe 10 riders, all of whom are probably Belgian or Dutch, which is hardly world cup worthy at all.

*On a separate thing, the way the calendar is this year, the calendar falls differently to last year and the 'non-series' race of Essen doesn't fall on the same weekend as Dublin this year, but with Val di Sole. I'd expect most big riders to skip Essen for Val di Sole, but do they really risk automatically losing 5 minutes by not going to the X20 Trofee in Kortrijk? That'll be an interesting transfer between the Kortrijk and Dublin even if Adams did both Essen and Dublin last season.

Good to see Brand back. Hopefully once she gets her racing legs back she can challenge Alvarado in the races that don't include the likes of Van Empel or Pieterse. Shame Worst had bad luck at the start of the race again today like in Maasmechelen.

Not a bad race in the mens side. The riders definitelt made it rather than the course, however I'd forgotten they'd stuck the banks in. I'd say this course is not any worse now really than a really muddy Hoogerheide, which means the only thing favouring that over this is it has more of a history and long standing place on the world cup calendar.

Belgian cyclocross doesn't need the World Cup for nothing, it's the opposite actually.

Remove all the belgian and dutch crossers from the WC and they have nothing to show and to earn revenue for UCI pockets while if tomorrow all belgian crosses, teams and riders said they were breaking apart from the WC and creating their own series, they would be as fine as today.

So Lappartients just reeks of desperation of a man who tried to create a new money making venture but as failed completely (I fail to see how WC value has increased in the past 2 years, imo it has stayed the same or even been reduced).

Reactions: Pantani_lives
It seems mostly Thibau Nys that is being complained about for skipping the races. There hasn't really been any mention of the fact Van der Haar plans to not ride Dublin or Val di Sole, and then not really anything at all about how Van Anrooij, Pieterse and Van Empel are all skipping World Cups. I guess whereas those 3 in the womens side are also missing the other big series races, Van der Haar will probably race in Kortrijk*, although maybe not Essen.
Interesting to see how this goes if they piss off Sven and Trek the biggest bike company with an interest in cross still. They've already pissed of the western hemisphere by dropping to only one "World" Cup outside of Europe, of course they've pissed off most of the Euro-centric teams by having any. Maybe cross is not suited very easily to world travel?

Reactions: ChewbaccaDefense
Clipboard.png

Clipboard.png
Men's races were fun to watch this weekend. Great to see Ronhaar and Nieuwenhuis at the very pointy end.

Reactions: TourOfSardinia
Men's races were fun to watch this weekend. Great to see Ronhaar and Nieuwenhuis at the very pointy end.
Indeed. Last couple of years (outside of the great series of Van der Poel/Van Aert Battles) it was something of a surprise if the top four wasn't some permutation of Iserbyt/Sweek/Vantourenhout/Van der Haar: now there seem to be several ready to challenge that group.

Last edited:
One of Lappartient's jobs is to catch flak. I'm guessing that someone from the promoting organisation calls up to complain about marquee riders not showing up, putting Lappartient in position of needing to say something about a subject that's not really important to him. Then riders and teams react unfavorably. Then sportsfans opine.

Still, a good day for S. Nys today.

Reactions: stonerider
One of Lappartient's jobs is to catch flak. I'm guessing that someone from the promoting organisation calls up to complain about marquee riders not showing up, putting Lappartient in position of needing to say something about a subject that's not really important to him. Then riders and teams react unfavorably. Then sportsfans opine.

Still, a good day for S. Nys today.
His comments make the UCI seem completely out of touch. He's turning into the Infantino of cycling. Sure, try to demotivate the multi discipline riders to participate in cyclocross. Very smart idea.

These riders don't need you, mr. Lappartient. You need them.

So Wout's race programme is not the 5 races leaked yesterday, but 10 (but in actually fact probably 8). No Worlds. 6 Wout-Mathieu clashes lined up, barring further schedule changes.

Oooh, that gets me rethinking.

My nephew is running in the Euro Cross country championships on 10th Dec (edit: in Brussels), so I had been thinking about making a weekend trip to take in his race and some CX on the Saturday (been thinking about how to justify a trip to see some CX for a while). But with a lot of names presumably missing Essen because of Val di Sole the next day, and a look at previous races giving me the impression that Essen is not the most interesting of CX circuits, I had sort of decided against. Van Aert being there makes me wonder again.

So, is the Essen course one worthy of making my first, maybe only, CX experience? Is there going to be a decent field there, or will it be WvA leading a bunch of second division riders by 3 minutes, and the 11th best Dutch woman winning that race?

Last edited:

My nephew is running in the Euro Cross country championships on 10th Dec, so I had been thinking about making a weekend trip to take in his race and some CX on the Saturday (been thinking about how to justify a trip to see some CX for a while). But with a lot of names presumably missing Essen because of Val di Sole the next day, and a look at previous races giving me the impression that Essen is not the most interesting of CX circuits, I had sort of decided against. Van Aert being there makes me wonder again.

So, is the Essen course one worthy of making my first, maybe only, CX experience? Is there going to be a decent field there, or will it be WvA leading a bunch of second division riders by 3 minutes, and the 11th best Dutch woman winning that race?
Last year's race in Val di Sole was too dangerous. You could take the gamble that maybe it's got some riders switching to Essen instead. I can imagine Van Empel for instance wouldn't want to jeopardize her whole season again.

Reactions: Armchair cyclist

My nephew is running in the Euro Cross country championships on 10th Dec, so I had been thinking about making a weekend trip to take in his race and some CX on the Saturday (been thinking about how to justify a trip to see some CX for a while). But with a lot of names presumably missing Essen because of Val di Sole the next day, and a look at previous races giving me the impression that Essen is not the most interesting of CX circuits, I had sort of decided against. Van Aert being there makes me wonder again.

If Wout van Aert is racing and there isn't another uci level race in belgium that day, then I think there will be a lot of people there, so it's worth going just for the atmosphere of a cx race in Belgium. I think there was a large amount of people that went to watch when he did Essen two seasons ago as that also coincided with Val di Sole and was only his second race back, so there was a lot of people there to watch him that time. It's not too bad to get to from Brussels either as it's a most likely going to be an Intercity train to Antwerp and then a local train directly to Essen with the course the other side of the tracks to the station.

I've said before on here it's a shame about the course in Essen. It used to be a really good course and well attended as an DVV/Bpost/GVA trofee event. Sadly since it became 'Robotland' and the race moved to the Exact/Ethias/Brico collection of races it;s diminished in uci status, course design, exitement, etc. Though the actual Robotland tech/theme park does sound slightly interesting even if appears to be aimed more at school children.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/pu...empel-rivalry-at-troyes-cyclocross-world-cup/
Someone hasn't done their homework consindering FvE isn't down to race Troyes
Not doing homework is a job requirement around here. According to various Cyclingnews stories WVA is doing 5 or 6 cross races total with his first start coming before the beginning of MVP's cross season and yet according to another headline the two are "clashing six times during the Christmas cyclocross period". Well I'm not a math major but..........

• Haha
Reactions: ChewbaccaDefense
Not doing homework is a job requirement around here. According to various Cyclingnews stories WVA is doing 5 or 6 cross races total with his first start coming before the beginning of MVP's cross season and yet according to another headline the two are "clashing six times during the Christmas cyclocross period". Well I'm not a math major but..........
Half of Cyclingnews articles are Google translated articles from Wielerflits. It's really quite pathetic.

Latest posts