• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Rolland doping?

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
hfer07 said:
Pardon my ignorance-or rather my short memory- but if a cyclist has a low Cortisol levels -what it means as far as doping program??? obviously weight loss is linked to it-but it means there are doping products being ingested to inhibit Cortisol production to achieve it? :confused: According to the LA Codex it was the other way around to get better performance though....
From what I understand, Rolland's condition is the result of the stoppage of cortisol treatments, not a side effect of other products.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Ferminal said:
When you introduce a hormone exogenously it often dampens the endogenous production. So you have high levels when you use it but after that effect wears off it's still going to take a while after for your own production to recover.

My wife had confirming finding of this symptom today. Her thyroid med dosage was too high and her natural levels almost non existent. It's a health issue for her so she needs to get them in balance. Roland probably isn't prematurely menopausal; although he is a clean French bike racer, oui?

ToreBear said:
As usual Inner rings articles+sensible comments are very illuminating.
http://inrng.com/2013/06/mpcc-cortisol-test/

Personally I think this is less about doping and more about EUC and Rolland not wanting Rolland to withdraw from the race. Could be they felt the need to showcase the team for potential new sponsors.

and the concept of team Europcar needing to showcase themselves in the race would make the incident less suspicious?

Ferminal said:
When you introduce a hormone exogenously it often dampens the endogenous production. So you have high levels when you use it but after that effect wears off it's still going to take a while after for your own production to recover.

Exactly. I have asthma and once every 2-3 years I get a chest infection that's bad enough to knock me on my backside and require corticosteroid treatment. It's amazing stuff and brings me back from the brink of death within a day or two, but the dose has to be tapered off to allow the body's production to recover, i.e. after taking 8 tablets for a few days I take 6, then 4, then 2, then 1.

When taken long term e.g. for organ transplants etc. it has a huge array of side-effects, which is unsurprising as it affects the regulation of about 10% of human genes, the most stereotypical of which is a big bloaty face ('moon face').