• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Sepp Kuss is the next Sepp Kuss thread

Page 59 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Crickets after less than productive early season.. Maybe he is Mallorca doing secret training with the alien
I would assume that before the season began, his personal main goal was defense of the Vuelta, but after the Vingegaard accident, did that all change?

If so, did his training plan get altered? Would he prepare differently for the TDF if he was the GC leader rather than as a domestic who's primary goal was the Vuelta later in the year?

Reactions: jmdirt
Kuss's season plans are probably still up in the air. I assume that No.1 goal was to be primary lieutenant for Vingegaard at Tour. Let's be honest, if JV had a great Tour and was feeling good he would go for the Vuelta, too, and not just to help Kuss defend.

At the moment, Visma-LAB's Tour plans are also probably still uncertain. if JV is ready, then Plan A continues. If not, maybe Plan B (Wout as monster stage hunter/green jersey). Plan C is probably Kuss as GC, hoping for Top 5 but likely a Top 10. That's not ideal bc while me love GC Kuss, I'm also a realist about last year's Vuelta.

Kuss's season plans are probably still up in the air. I assume that No.1 goal was to be primary lieutenant for Vingegaard at Tour. Let's be honest, if JV had a great Tour and was feeling good he would go for the Vuelta, too, and not just to help Kuss defend.

At the moment, Visma-LAB's Tour plans are also probably still uncertain. if JV is ready, then Plan A continues. If not, maybe Plan B (Wout as monster stage hunter/green jersey). Plan C is probably Kuss as GC, hoping for Top 5 but likely a Top 10. That's not ideal bc while me love GC Kuss, I'm also a realist about last year's Vuelta.
Wout isn't in shape at all, see Tour of Norway.
I do think Matteo would be better than Kuss.

To be fair to GC Kuss, dude was on his 3 grand tour of the season.

I would assume that before the season began, his personal main goal was defense of the Vuelta, but after the Vingegaard accident, did that all change?

If so, did his training plan get altered? Would he prepare differently for the TDF if he was the GC leader rather than as a domestic who's primary goal was the Vuelta later in the year?
More intervals and power work. He'd need to improve his TT...alot. His endurance is pretty much natural and he recovers well. It's a basic thing: get faster.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I was looking at Kuss's PCS points for early last season.

He had 14 race days and 159 points before staring the 2023 Giro.

No Giro for him this year.
He has 21 race days and 156 points heading into the 2024 Dauphine

It doesn't seem like a big difference to me.
The difference is in the selection of events. The Giro can be a wet, cold mess for days. Breaking up the efforts is probably for specific development but I don't know what success it will yield.

Reactions: Sandisfan