• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tadej Pogačar discussion thread

Page 656 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
No one talked about this but Pogacar climbed the 8 km stretch of Galibier in 20:48. This give us a VAM of 1676,28 m/h. If we apply the formula to w/kg (this is a big if I believe), in this stretch of 6.75%, he did 6.27 w/kg (of course draft played a huge role too but head wind was important to slow down the gc group) in 20:48 minutes! This looks godly strong specially at 2351 m (mean). At sea level, Pogacar should do something like 7 w/kg for almost 21 minutes!!! This is Contador on Verbier in a tailwind! I got stunned after seeing this number.
The statement smell a lot like a Naichaca thing.
I am impressed with the fact he didn't overvalued that much this time.

Contador never did 7 w/kg on Verbier.
The calculation they do to sea level doesn't make sense.

The statement smell a lot like a Naichaca thing.
I am impressed with the fact he didn't overvalued that much this time.

Contador never did 7 w/kg on Verbier.
The calculation they do to sea level doesn't make sense.

Almost 6.3 w/kg for 21 minutes at 2350 m is impressive but reducing it to sea level is a hardcore job. I think some time ago someone quoted an interesting scientific article regarding this but those twitter estimations are more like mathematical fun - adjustment by almost 2.5 km is a lot and can be quite error-prone (and obviously it varies individually due to oxygen partial pressure being only one factor in the chain called organic engine).

Reactions: Froome
Almost 6.3 w/kg for 21 minutes at 2350 m is impressive but reducing it to sea level is a hardcore job. I think some time ago someone quoted an interesting scientific article regarding this but those twitter estimations are more like mathematical fun - adjustment by almost 2.5 km is a lot and can be quite error-prone (and obviously it varies individually due to oxygen partial pressure being only one factor in the chain called organic engine).
Nearly every adjustment to sea level calculation has seemed patently riduculous. Also - it's pointless cause they won't adjust for altitude for normal climbs when even *** like Mont Caro in Catalunya isn't at sea level either.

Secondly, these people nevery give their formula, and it would be very unsurprising to me if they overestimated air resistance at atlitdue, which would be ironic. Finally, they love to overestimate shallower climbs anyway.

The second thing about altitude is it it gets colder the higher you get which increases air density at the same air pressure which in turn needs to be taken into account.

Biggest reason this adjusted number doesn't pass the basic smell test is that Pogacar didn't even paced it so extremely negatively and that it's still the final 20 minutes of a 40 minute climb.

Like for what it's worth the actual number most similar in previous years is Jai frigging Hindley on Fedaia who did like 6.4-6.5 for 19 minutes at 1700m average altitude.

Last edited:
Reactions: Poursuivant
It was a really good perfomance.

Whats up with Remco's and his love for Pogacar? just checked his IG now boy has found himself a new favourite, he has ran to Pogacar everytime with everything first days seemingly looking for a best friend. I think somone is in love with Pogacar. Just kidding btw the respect is lovely to see.

• Wow
Reactions: Lequack
Whats up with Remco's and his love for Pogacar? just checked his IG now boy has found himself a new favourite, he has ran to Pogacar everytime with everyone looking for a best friend. I think somone is in love with Pogacar. Just kidding btw the respect is lovely to see.
Trying to butter Pogacar up like Pog did to Roglic in 2020.

Reactions: noob