• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Ineos (Formerly the Sky thread)

Page 1602 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
What a *** joke
I know. I wish I could laugh, but it looks like cycling in grand tours in the coming decade may look a lot like the past decade. --Have to fall back on the nuclear capabilities of Pogi and Remco for possible salvation. :grin:

What scares me more than Tao's performance at the Giro is Dennis's mutant rides. If THAT guy is going to dominate in the mountains, Ineos will blanket and snuff out all competition in grand tours. They'll have a stable of guys who can win grand tours--like a half dozen or more.

Reactions: Koronin
I know. I wish I could laugh, but it looks like cycling in grand tours in the coming decade may look a lot like the past decade. --Have to fall back on the nuclear capabilities of Pogi and Remco for possible salvation. :grin:

What scares me more than Tao's performance at the Giro is Dennis's mutant rides. If THAT guy is going to dominate in the mountains, Ineos will blanket and snuff out all competition in grand tours. They'll have a stable of guys who can win grand tours--like a half dozen or more.
TGH is a young rider and I can understand him getting better or coming of age but Dennis being the best mountain dom isnt even hiding the cheating and if he was to crash im sure someone else would suddenly become a miracle mountain goat

Reactions: JosefK
Today's performance by Rohan actually made more sense. Not a really steep climb and he has a history of being good at high altitude. There's that Touelr de Suisse stage last year where he dropped everyone but Bernal and a few years ago he dominated the usa pro challenge (shallow field and shallow gradients, but super high altitude).
Him being the strongest climber in the race on the hardest climb one day after he gets dropped in the breakaway on freaking Madonna di Campiglio on the other hand is hard to understand.

Reactions: gregrowlerson
Today's performance by Rohan actually made more sense. Not a really steep climb and he has a history of being good at high altitude. There's that Touelr de Suisse stage last year where he dropped everyone but Bernal and a few years ago he dominated the usa pro challenge (shallow field and shallow gradients, but super high altitude).
Him being the strongest climber in the race on the hardest climb one day after he gets dropped in the breakaway on freaking Madonna di Campiglio on the other hand is hard to understand.
Him being strong maybe. Not the part where he has to slow down to not drop his own team leader.

Anyway I wonder if they brought the magical sauce to La Vuelta

Sky (Ineos) know how to troll the clinic, don’t they. Watch for SDB turning up at the presentation tomorrow and talking about how the swimming coach has transformed Dennis’ performance, how Hart’s numbers have always been exceptional (‘he just lost the fat’) etc.

How many records do they need to break before this week field narrative stops being used?
Races run fast and slow. If you think this is anything but a weak field, I won’t spend much time trying to convince you, but if any of the leaders of this race win another GT, in a non Covid situation moving forward I will cede the point.

I would ask who are the top 10 GT riders In the world. Are any of them here? Would Geraint Thomas, not a legend exactly, not be running away with this had he not abandoned?

Last edited:
And I think it's very, very notable this Tour and Giro how drastical the turnarounds from one day to the next. Between Pogacar basically gaining 10% his ITT, Sunweb guys going from decent to amazing between week 1 and 2, and Geoghan Hart going from getting murdered on Etna to one of the 3 legendary climbers in this race, it's all from one day to the next.
Don't forget Rohan Dennis getting dropped from a breakaway in stage 17 to turning into one of the 3 best climbers and breaking the record of Stelvio.

So Dennis gets into the break to give himself a bit of a workout and then sits up ahead of the two stages that he's saved himself for the entire race. He wasn't going to go deep knowing the job he had to do in the next few days.
Is this the ridiculous narrative now? I suppose it had to change from the 'Dennis went all out on the Stelvio while everyone else was holding back for the last climb' line, now that he has finished just 25 seconds down, on a high mountain stage.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
So Dennis gets into the break to give himself a bit of a workout and then sits up ahead of the two stages that he's saved himself for the entire race. He wasn't going to go deep knowing the job he had to do in the next few days.
Who needs to train before a race anyway can just use the 5500m total climbing stage the day before as climbing if only people had thought of that earlier who needs recovery anyway.

Last edited:
Dennis was just a couple of seconds slower than a Garzelli ascent of Sestriere back in 2000. That ascent was made in an ITT, btw. He was also around the same ballpark as Armstrong in 99 regarding w/kg.

Sadly he said he was feeling average. Just imagine if he was feeling good.

• Haha
Reactions: Red Rick

TRENDING THREADS