• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 857 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
Mon Dieu I miss Logic is your Friend. He could put some clarity into all this madness. Moderator: give the man back his pen and ink deja.

@Logic-is-your-friend is not banned. But it's understandable that he doesn't want to debate anymore as much because either people kept reporting him for some reason or mods were to trigger happy and he kept getting banned for nothing.

Like I quoted in Rog thread: Cyclingnews article from today:

„The one thing I would say is that Remco hates Jumbo, and Jumbo hate Remco, so that’s not gonna work, is it? Unless they do different programmes,” said Thomas. "You should hear what Roglič says about Remco,” he continued, as Rowe joked for them to “stir the pot now.”“

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
Like I quoted in Rog thread: Cyclingnews article from today:

„The one thing I would say is that Remco hates Jumbo, and Jumbo hate Remco, so that’s not gonna work, is it? Unless they do different programmes,” said Thomas. "You should hear what Roglič says about Remco,” he continued, as Rowe joked for them to “stir the pot now.”“
I don't have the impression that Remco hates Jumbo. Remco can be angry but I don't think he is the type that hates others. G is obviously exaggerating and has also reasons to dislike the idea that Remco is also part of the JV team.

I don't have the impression that Remco hates Jumbo. Remco can be angry but I don't think he is the type that hates others. G is obviously exaggerating and has also reasons to dislike the idea that Remco is also part of the JV team.
I'll take G's inside word, they can't stand eachother, but just fake niceties in the press. Rog can't stand Remco and vice versa, but now that's sport isn't it between competitors. Then, when they retire, they might have a beer together...or not.

It's probably not that easy for Remco to focus on his goals with all what's going on. It must now be very clear to him that "project Remco", which includes the ultimate goal of a TdF win, is not top of mind by the owners, management and sponsors of SQ, whatever they promised him. Remco is loyal and delivers wherever he starts and this with a salary that is subpar for his performance. And his impact goes beyond his own performance. He is a team player and the team excels when he leads them. He simply doesn't get the support he deserves. Yes, going to Ineos (hopefully) might give him a new opportunity but it also means the current project is a failure and there will be a loss of personal relationships that Remco values a lot. It could have been a really nice story but the chances that "project Remco" at SQ succeeds are now very dim.

I see what you're saying, but I don't trust Jumbo. Ineos can also improve Remco a bit, although I don't think there can be much more to teach Remco. I think basically he just has to stay within his abilities and pounce on opportunities. He will win more GT's for sure...one way or the other.
Remco has much more to learn and JV could manage that just fine. If he wants to win GTs he'll need to train accordingly and, with a new DS and support crew on hand he would do that. Geraint Thomas said: Remco hates Jumbo...". I would wage he doesn't waste much energy hating anyone but more to the point: he loves winning.

The whole JV merger fallout could end up reinforcing a strong team that will make those GT wins more difficult, too. Stay tuned.

I'll take G's inside word, they can't stand eachother, but just fake niceties in the press. Rog can't stand Remco and vice versa, but now that's sport isn't it between competitors. Then, when they retire, they might have a beer together...or not.
Belgium has some good beers. I would suggest an Ayinger Celebrator double-bock. Perfect for renewing friendships.

Remco has much more to learn and JV could manage that just fine. If he wants to win GTs he'll need to train accordingly and, with a new DS and support crew on hand he would do that. Geraint Thomas said: Remco hates Jumbo...". I would wage he doesn't waste much energy hating anyone but more to the point: he loves winning.

The whole JV merger fallout could end up reinforcing a strong team that will make those GT wins more difficult, too. Stay tuned.
Yes, I also don't think he hates anybody. But it would be Ineos to support and tweak his training, since I highly doubt he will go to Jumbo Visma. I just hope wherever he goes that they don't train him solely for more GT victories and end up messing with his one day success that he possesses. I mean a couple of TDF and Giros would be great but I also want to see him win more LBL, and also go for Flanders and MSR, etc

He won’t drink it, still 0.4% alcohol

Maybe he would go for this. I had never heard of alcohol free beer until sampling some of them yesterday. They are a Denver area brewery headed by a very experienced master brewer. They were all pretty good.

Maybe he would go for this. I had never heard of alcohol free beer until sampling some of them yesterday. They are a Denver area brewery headed by a very experienced master brewer. They were all pretty good.
You never heard of O'Doul's?

• Wow

They unfortunately don't deliver in Belgium, but he might be able to get it via another way. I unfortunately can't.