• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France 2024 - The battle of the big 4

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Remco is preparing peak form for July. He will impress girls and smash Skeletor even before Grand Depart!

AP1GczMa79ufpiQocVfASbjSoywUMl8Nv0FkWMB6_lR4qBHcRrWYjXE3algoH7sNwlWAFHUvr8i8NBdio-6JSFa2j9kur0tvgcs8DZwdppT3WP350DRp_fZJ6BXwLbsNO2CuZjLM97fdxhsAlz_otMSvlEPeTw=w960-h960-s-no
That's some Kate Middleton quality photoshopping there! :)

Pog's only issue is that he usually can't contain himself. An Indurain style Giro win isn't necessarily a problem with the Tour in mind

It isn't just that, it's that he is also going for Liege 2 weeks before the start of the Giro, which means he is maintaining a peak for 5+ weeks until the end of the Giro, and then only has 5 weeks to recover and start build up for another peak at the Tour.

The alternative is maintaining the peak for 13 weeks, which could work if the Giro (with lighter GC competition) was at the end of it, but can't when the end is the Tour.

He is definitely walking a tight rope.

Reactions: 18-Valve. (pithy)
Given the track record when anticipating a multi-star showdown in a big race, chances are 1 of the 4 won’t make it to the start line or crash out in the 1st week. But I hope not!
That is correct. Whether it is a crash before the race, during the race or just a simple crack of performance. In 2015 Contador and Nibali were out in the first mountain stage. Froome then controlled Quintana better.

In this case I would bet on a crash and a crack. So there would be only 2 left.

Wait. You're saying that in order for it to be a battle between the four of them instead of the two of them, the two of them needs to be sub-par?
Yes, because when they are all at their best I see it as:
Vingegaard > Pogacar >> Roglic/Evenepoel >>> Others

I haven't seen Roglic/Evenepoel proof that they are at the level of Pogacar and definitely not Vingegaard when it comes to a GT.

Yes, because when they are all at their best I see it as:
Vingegaard > Pogacar >> Roglic/Evenepoel >>> Others

I haven't seen Roglic/Evenepoel proof that they are at the level of Pogacar and definitely not Vingegaard when it comes to a GT.
I wouldn't put >>> between R/E and others.
R usually crashing out from one GT a year, last year he finished two 😲
E have had only had one good GT.

So, guess we just all gotta hope that Roglic and Evenepoel are going to recover fully from their injuries.
So far so good. Roglic is fine according to Bora, and so is Evenepoel according to himself. I expect both riders to be at 100% at the TDF if they don't run into any new problems.

I wouldn't put >>> between R/E and others.
R usually crashing out from one GT a year, last year he finished two 😲
E have had only had one good GT.
If both of them are at their best, I don't see anyone coming close. Evenepoel showed this during the Vuelta of 2022, and Roglic has shown this multiple times at the Vuelta too. I can't help Evenepoel having gotten Covid last year, otherwise he would've won the Giro too.

So far so good. Roglic is fine according to Bora, and so is Evenepoel according to himself. I expect both riders to be at 100% at the TDF if they don't run into any new problems.

If both of them are at their best, I don't see anyone coming close. Evenepoel showed this during the Vuelta of 2022, and Roglic has shown this multiple times at the Vuelta too. I can't help Evenepoel having gotten Covid last year, otherwise he would've won the Giro too.
Rogla would've won anyway.
Jonas and Tadej can have a bad day and still be much better than the rest.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Roglic is clearly better than “the rest,” as evidenced by his 4 GT wins and 3 podiums, as well as his superiority at the most recent GT. I *think* Roglic is a step or two above Remco in GTs, but tough to really know. 2023 Vuelta was the first time we saw peak Roglic in years, and I don’t think we’ve seen peak GT Remco ever, and only close once at the 2022 Vuelta when he had a crash and faced Roglic coming back from a fractured vertebrae and dislocated shoulder in the Tour.

If you take Kuss out of last year’s Vuelta (or put him on a different team), I think Roglic would have won for sure, being the strongest in the first half and very strong at the end based on Angliru. Giro 2023 didn’t represent him at his best because he crashed and was coming off of off-season surgery. Etc.

This should be a great race.