• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Velo d’Or 2023

Page 13 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win?

• MVDP

Votes: 63 37.3%
  • Vingo

Votes: 26 15.4%
  • Roglic

Votes: 13 7.7%
  • Pog

Votes: 56 33.1%
  • Remco

Votes: 5 3.0%
  • It's over. It absolutely, positively, definitely has to be MVDP

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • Ok, they gave it to Cringegard, like I give a ***

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Froome

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rackham

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Netserk

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters
I haven't read through all these point systems so this isn't based on anything like that, but honestly, I think MvdPs track to the Velo d'or is surprisingly tricky. He basically has to hope for Remco to beat Roglic and Vingegaard in the Vuelta (many will disagree that Giro+Vuelta+TA+Catalunya beats 3 major one day races but I wouldn't at all be surprised if it's enough, especially with the Vuelta freshest in everyones mind) but then if Remco wins the Vuelta he might still snatch away the Velo d'Or by winning Lombardia.

It's very plausible all of this falls into place for MvdP, but it's pretty remarkable someone can have that kind of season and he still needs races to go his way to get this price. The success needed to win the Velo d'Or recently has really skyrocketed. Third season in a row with a rider winning at least 3 of the major races when I think the last time that happened was in 2005.
I love me some Rog but Giro+Vuelta is just not gonna cut it compared to MvdP and Tirreno and Catalunya will be basically forgotten by then.

Just bragging rights.
The only football award that matters is the Fallon d'Floor

I love me some Rog but Giro+Vuelta is just not gonna cut it compared to MvdP and Tirreno and Catalunya will be basically forgotten by then.
I'm just not sure. Even if you think MvdP's wins are valued higher if you count them together (and I'm not so sure everyone will do that), I think in the season where there is no runaway candidate, narrative matters a lot. The reason Alaphilippe won it in 2019 is because the whole cycling world was talking about him making a push to win a TdF. The fact that he couldn't and merely got a 5th place didn't matter. When Valverde won it a year prior I'm pretty sure the story of the old rider finally getting the win he had chased for his entire career played an enormous role. Before that WCRR it was considered a well below average season for his standards.

If Roglic comes back after his injury in 2022 and wins two GTs that's again a huge story. MvdP's entire claim to win comes down to being really good on three separate days, Rogic's claim has a huge narrative behind it.

To me, MvdP won his three big races against all the top one day racers, who targeted those events, whereas Roglic's Giro was certainly impressive but not against the best GT riders. Not sure how the Vuelta will play out but that's how I see it right now.

But he did lose the one that is supposed to suit him most (RvV). ;-)
And in Roubaix there was also some luck involved (there is a good chance he would have won nonetheless, but we can't know for sure).

In Milano-San Remo and the Worlds he was clearly the strongest of the top dogs though. So I'd say at the moment it's between him and Vingegaard.

Now he hasn't, but if he wins Vuelta and Lombardia what would you say then?

Imho Roglic can never win it. Sure he won the Giro and some smaller stage races, but only because he avoided the TdF. And love it or hate it, the TdF is just way more important.
Even if he wins Giro and Vuelta, well, he didn't go to the TdF because he would not be able to win it anyway. Therefor his season can't be better than the one that actually did win it.

He also didn't win any of the other races that matter to make up for it - like Remco did last year.

Only the absolute top races should matter: monuments, GT's and Worlds/Olympics. He can win as many Tireno's as he wants, but in the end that's not what it's about. One week stage races are to the GT's what the E3 classic is to the Tour of Flanders. Nice, but not what actually matters.

Reactions: Peyroteo94
But he did lose the one that is supposed to suit him most (RvV). ;-)
And in Roubaix there was also some luck involved (there is a good chance he would have won nonetheless, but we can't know for sure).

In Milano-San Remo and the Worlds he was clearly the strongest of the top dogs though. So I'd say at the moment it's between him and Vingegaard.

Imho Roglic can never win it. Sure he won the Giro and some smaller stage races, but only because he avoided the TdF. And love it or hate it, the TdF is just way more important.
Even if he wins Giro and Vuelta, well, he didn't go to the TdF because he would not be able to win it anyway. Therefor his season can't be better than the one that actually did win it.

He also didn't win any of the other races that matter to make up for it - like Remco did last year.

Only the absolute top races should matter: monuments, GT's and Worlds/Olympics. He can win as many Tireno's as he wants, but in the end that's not what it's about. One week stage races are to the GT's what the E3 classic is to the Tour of Flanders. Nice, but not what actually matters.
Spot on.

To me it should be either MvdP or Vingegaard. By quite some margin.
Vingegaard: winning a TdF with one of the best performances there in decades.
MvdP: MSR + Roubaix + WC (+ best sprint lead-out in this season)

Even if Roglic wins the vuelta, its no match for me.
And Pogacar, well, if it was only the first half of the year he would be in content. But now not any more.

I said if he wins Vuelta and Lombardia, and those are the absolute top races, as you said.
Now, are you telling me that if he wins that two, probably beating Vingegaard in the process, it would still be that the Tour winner (Vingegaard) should take the award?

Vélo d'or does take into account other disciplines ?
If it does, then MVDP is even more a favorite. If he wins saturday ... And I read he'll participate in a gravel event also.
Could be an incredible cycling season.

One thing that could also be looked at is that he did not win all those races purely by being the strongest (as Ving did).
In MSR and in the WRR as well (despite not needing that there) he was "smarter" than his opponent and managed to let them work for him : Pogacar attacking and WVA bringing VDP back in MSR, Pogacar, Pedersen and Belges closing each other in the WRR.

I said if he wins Vuelta and Lombardia, and those are the absolute top races, as you said.
Now, are you telling me that if he wins that two, probably beating Vingegaard in the process, it would still be that the Tour winner (Vingegaard) should take the award?

Myeah, I guess in theory you're right. I don't value Lombardia that high though, but yes, it's a monument ;-)

Reactions: Blanco
It's basically one semi final Van der Poel vs Pogacar. Van der Poel winning now, Pogacar needs Lombardia plus at least one more 1 day race. At least.

Other semifinal is Vingegaard-Roglic-Evenepoel. Only by winning the Vuelta they have a chance. For Vinge just the Vuelta could be enough. Should be. For Roglic and Evenepoel not, they need either a really dominating Vuelta win, or then the Vuelta plus Lombardia. The TT today IMO makes little difference at this point. Don't rate that highly really, I'd rather have somebody win Gent-Wevelgem than the Worlds TT.